shape
carat
color
clarity

I'm exhausted and need help on a a RB & Princess!!

AggieMan

Rough_Rock
I've spent the last 2 days (and the past week on and off) learning as much as I possible can about diamonds and I just stumbled upon this wonderful site that has overwhelmed my brain with a plethora of information and now I feel like I don't know what to do!

I originally started on Blue Nile comparing prices and the 4 c's then I went into more detail angles, depth, table etc. Then I read that people like to see pictures and ideal scope and aset which Blue Nile does now show on their site. So I began to look at diamonds through price scope from places like White flash and James Allen and with all this new information I don't know what is what anymore!!

I know for a fact my soon to be fiance likes the princess cut over the round (rb) cut but it seems like finding a great princess cut diamond is much harder than it is a round (rb). So I began to look at RB diamonds but I'd rather get her a princess. I went to look at rings today at the local brick and mortar stores to get a visual on how a half carat looked on a channel set and I am content with the size and price rage and I noticed that the princess diamonds they had, the table was massive compared to what I've seen online and it didn't look like it gave off as much "shine/brilliance" as some of the ones I've seen online with a small table and I read in a few threads that table size is crucial to a princess (i'm sure that it is also important in any other cut) and I see a lot of princess cuts online that have the table > depth like say 71 depth, 73 table I'm going to assume this is generally bad? What about say 71 depth, 68 table?

I realized that you reading and comparing the numbers can only tell you so much so I am pleading to y'all for help! I've spent more time researching diamonds this week than I have studying and considering that I am over analytical on everything that I do, this has to be the most important number crunching/decision making thing I've ever done!

Also I noticed that there is generally no as much in depth info on princess cut as there is with RB =(

TL;DL : Help me please I am overwhelmed!

Princess over Round Brilliant but if the diamond is right either will work well!

My budget for the diamond itself is about $ ~1800

Carat size we'd be happy with is .50 to .60 (to give a bigger window on finding the right combination of aspects)

Def a (signature ideal or ideal) cut with Excellent an equivalent symmetry/polish. Unless I missed something and can get away with a very good symmetry or polish.

Here are some of the Round Brilliant diamonds I've been looking at.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-21713.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2398120.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2231051.htm

For some reason i can't link Blue nile diamonds =(

I'm going to keep reading threads here! I would greatly appreciate any and all help/advice!! thank you!!!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Hello AggieMan!

If your girlfriend wants a princess, then a princess she should have! What do you think about this one?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7372/

(The price is $1653 before bank wire, so if you pay cash, you can save around ~3 percent.)

AggieMan

Rough_Rock
Hmm There is a drastic difference in table size from the GoG to the WF. Is it just personal preference or does the smaller table yield more shine? or does it depend purely on the combination of stats and both will look about the same? Or does it have to do with this Solasfera cut?

AggieMan

Rough_Rock
WOW I am totally sold on that Solasfera cut it looks fantastic almost too good to be true. I do notice what seems to be like a lot of white in the diamxray which from what i understand is bad but it is a different cut that what I'm used to so I have no guage to how bad or acceptable that is all things considered. Also it's listed as a very good cut but again it's a Solasfera which i've never seen until now.

would this be a significant upgrade? worth the extra 350 bux?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7370/

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd just get the Solasfera.

We have a Solasfera round and it is a KILLER diamond.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Whether or not it is worth it is up to you-you have to pick what appeals to you most. GIA does not grade cut qualities of fancies-where do you see the very good cut grade?

AggieMan

Rough_Rock
Shape: Princess
Carat Weight: 0.52ct
Color: H
Clarity: VVS1
Optical Symmetry: Solasfera
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Lab Report: GIA
Lab Report #: 2115941900

vs

Shape: Princess
Carat Weight: 0.52ct
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Optical Symmetry: Solasfera
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None
Lab Report: GIA
Lab Report #: 2115941901

Thanks for all of the help!

I placed the VVS1 on hold until they open tuesday =) I believe that the extra cost will be worth the upgrades in quality/stats, after all its still just about within my budget and will surely look much better than just a plain old AGS0 =)

Now, solitaire mount or channel side stone?!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AggieMan said:
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good

Polish and symmetry are NOT cut grades.

Cut grade is the recipe.
Polish and symmetry could be seen as how well they followed the recipe.
You can get Excellent Polish and Symmetry grades by doing an excellent job of following the worst cut recipe ever created.

Cut grade is proportions and angles and where all the facets are supposed to be to return maximum light, scintillation, pattern, contrast etc.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
If you have the links to those diamodns post them.
If they were both solasfera (not sure about this even though you listed both as solasfera)
Just from a theoretical standpoint if cut was the same you won't be able to see the difference in sym, polish between EX vs VG and clarity VVS vs VS2 in most cases.

At that small size I'd tend to go for a 2 chevron over the 3 chevron(solasfera) with extra crown facets but thats is my opinion, I like to see as big possible flashes in smaller stones to make them more noticeable.

Also I might also suggest you take a look at 5mm about 0.7 carat princess (in your budget), you won't get the same light return as a solasfera or AGS 0 but the size difference is very noticeable and some can be okay especially if Jon were to pick one for you.

Good-luck,
CCL

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't tell anyone but if you click on "Reserve Diamond" you can see the price.

Don't worry, you don't have to buy it.
Just change the quantity back to zero.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AggieMan said:
Hmm There is a drastic difference in table size from the GoG to the WF. Is it just personal preference or does the smaller table yield more shine? or does it depend purely on the combination of stats and both will look about the same? Or does it have to do with this Solasfera cut?

How, Interesting!

The Octavia has a very small table too.

Hmm. Do I smell a trend in new cuts?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You shouldnt be able to see anything in a VS2 stone but be sure and ask GOG. I wouldnt spend the extra $350 if the
VS2 is eye-clean. You can ask GOG to do a video of the two stones and see if you prefer one over the other. If they
both look the same...I'd go for the VS2 and use the saved money for the setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results