carat
color
clarity

I love how they came up with the term "Chocolate Diamonds"

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: I love how they came up with the term "Chocolate Diamond

Someone please tell me how I can buy poo-diamonds at poo-prices and sell them at chocolate prices.

Same diamond.
Different image.

On the other side of the same coin, you could call pink and red diamonds 'road-kill' diamonds.

It's all nonsense.
I'm glad GIA doesn't use these silly names and describes them by their real hue names.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

kenny|1447193345|3947956 said:
Someone please tell me how I can buy poo-diamonds at poo-prices and sell them at chocolate prices.

Same diamond.
Different image.

On the other side of the same coin, you could call pink and red diamonds 'road-kill' diamonds.

It's all nonsense.
I'm glad GIA doesn't use these silly names and describes them by their real hue names.
Kenny,
Fanciful names have been popular across the whole gem industry forever. One should not be shocked by the term "chocolate" diamonds. That someone trademarked the term showed some good marketing sense.

Having spent a large part of my career as a gemstone trader I am familiar with dozens of evocative terms like "lilac" sapphire, 'rasberry' garnet, "bubble gum pink" tourmaline, "apple" jade, etc, etc. And of course, there are "canary" diamonds.

Some of the terms, I do agree, fall into the category of attempts at "making a silk purse out of a pig's ear". For instance, in the early days before sapphires were appreciated for their full range of colors, "lilac sapphire" was essentially an unsalable, purplish corundum lacking saturation.

And Kenny, you may want to go online to the USPTO and register "road kill diamonds" before someone here snipes it from you. :lol:

IE_Princess

Shiny_Rock

I'm actually glad I kept my opinion of chocolate diamonds to myself, because a few years ago a good friend told me that she liked them (she loves the color brown in general, and things that are more offbeat). But another friend told her that the chocolate diamonds were crap, so she doubted herself, and I hated to see that. Even a "crappy" mall diamond may be beautiful to someone.

Purveyors of lower colored old cut diamonds like to use words like "vanilla", "antique lace", etc. ... it's all marketing whether done by a high end boutique seller or a low end mall store.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock

Mall diamonds are not crap because of their color it will be because they are low grade in other areas such as clarity and cut - a well cut high clarity diamond in any color or hue is not crap but a thing of beauty :angryfire:

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Callyname what a stone! I am personally a huge fan of brownish or brown diamonds and one of the reasons is why I love yours, many times even when not noted on the report, especially when set in rose gold, they have a definite pinkish hue to them, especially orange browns. Oftentimes the first impression people get is that it is a pink diamond with some brown in it, at much more affordable prices. Yours is definitely very peachy pinkish, almost too much to make me wonder why it is graded what it is. But I own such a stone myself too. Grading for browns is odd. Also really makes one wonder why in the case of grading certain brown stones they omit pink. These stones have such strong characters and can act like chameleons, with many different personalities depending on the lighting conditions.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love the subtle richness of brown leaning stones. I understand the frustration when they are given a trademark name and sold as more than they are,
But the most beautiful ring ive ever seen on here is a brown diamond, and its not jsut becuase its a honker, though that helps.

img_5776__1_.jpg

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1447349751|3948829 said:
I love the subtle richness of brown leaning stones. I understand the frustration when they are given a trademark name and sold as more than they are,
But the most beautiful ring ive ever seen on here is a brown diamond, and its not jsut becuase its a honker, though that helps.

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

I have always appreciated brown-ish colored diamonds, especially in the right settings (they look lovely in rose gold for example). I don't care for the mall-variety settings - there's typically a lot going on (chunky settings, too much pave, colored stones, etc.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results