shape
carat
color
clarity

I have the smallest diamond out of all my friends.

GirlyGirl

Shiny_Rock
Although, I have the best cut diamond.

I have a .77 H VS2 August Vintage cushion. I can't express how beautiful it is. No picture or youtube video can convey the mesmerizing optics. When I received it, my jaw dropped. As my mother is a diamond enthusiast, I have access to all sorts of cuts and shapes. Nothing beats what I have.

However, when I am around other diamonds, usually Round Brilliants, I wish I had gone bigger, though I specifically asked for 3/4 ct. My friends have each on average 1.5 cts. I didn't think this would bother me. My finger is a 4 - 4.5, and I get excellent coverage (see picture). When I am on my own, I am over the moon with my ring. Just with others, I feel as if its size is judged. Why do I feel as if it is being judged?

Is this Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome or something else?

I am the same way with my car. I have a 2003 Toyota Corolla -- in pristine condition. I baby it. I have had it for 10 years. It is the first car I bought on my own, and I dread the day I part with it. As much love as I have for it, when it is valeted, I toss a look of "It's not a Bentley. It's better."

img_0057_1.jpg

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
There is absolutely nothing wrong with preferring quality over quantity. I think most PSers would agree that we would rather own an ideal cut .5ct diamond than an inferior 2ct. I'm betting that your diamond looks larger, and brighter than many other 1 ct diamonds that have been poorly cut. I also bet that your friends wonder why their diamond doesn't perform the same way yours does. :naughty:

edit: your ring is absolutely stunning btw and looks fantastic on you.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
It's beautiful! Nice choice! I bet it shoots out fire in every direction! Wait until you have a band with it, you may feel differently.

And if you really do want more finger coverage down the line, add sidestones or a halo! My stone is only .88 but with my halo I never have DSS or ring envy. ;-)

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your ring is PERFECT!!! Its a gorgeous stone, well cut, good colour and clarity... its looks AMAZING on your hand!!! You have lovely tiny fingers so the .77 (to me!) looks huge on you!

Cushions face up smaller than a RB of the same size. Your bright white, well cut stone will still look stunning and it is VERY hard not to compare to what your friends have --- but odds are, you have the better stone over all, as you probably put much more research into purchasing this than they may have. It is beautiful - I hope you enjoy it because it looks awesome!

And if you want to bling it up, get a 7 stone wedding band or a 3/4 eternity (I just say 3/4 to leave sizing as an option in the future, but go full if that appeals to you) and that will help amp up the BLING factor.

But ya ---- that's DSS and its a vicious bug to get rid of...

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
GirlyGirl|1342205119|3233404 said:
Is this Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome or something else?.

I have a favorite quote, or variation on a quote, supposedly by Theodore Roosevelt, "Comparison is the thief of joy." Also, another one I really like and have pinned to my office bulletin board is, "The more you love your decisions, the less you need others to love them."

I know it's difficult not to compare the things you have with the things others have, but you have a different set of priorities and goals than anyone else you know, and you have to own your values and stick to them.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1342206862|3233424 said:
Your ring is PERFECT!!! Its a gorgeous stone, well cut, good colour and clarity... its looks AMAZING on your hand!!! You have lovely tiny fingers so the .77 (to me!) looks huge on you!

Cushions face up smaller than a RB of the same size. Your bright white, well cut stone will still look stunning and it is VERY hard not to compare to what your friends have --- but odds are, you have the better stone over all, as you probably put much more research into purchasing this than they may have. It is beautiful - I hope you enjoy it because it looks awesome!

And if you want to bling it up, get a 7 stone wedding band or a 3/4 eternity (I just say 3/4 to leave sizing as an option in the future, but go full if that appeals to you) and that will help amp up the BLING factor.

But ya ---- that's DSS and its a vicious bug to get rid of...

Ditto this suggestion. Your ring is absolutely GORGEOUS! And it looks sizable on your hand.

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
Meh.

I wouldn't worry because from that pic, you have great finger coverage! They shouldn't be your friends if they're judging you on your ring, or anything for that matter!

I bet your husband/fiance has the hottest wife/fiance of the group! :Up_to_something: Take that, friends who judge rings!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
TitanCi|1342207561|3233436 said:
Meh.

I wouldn't worry because from that pic, you have great finger coverage! They shouldn't be your friends if they're judging you on your ring, or anything for that matter!

I bet your husband/fiance has the hottest wife/fiance of the group! :Up_to_something: Take that, friends who judge rings!

Titan!!! you ROCK!!! That's the perfect attitude!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: Yes, Girlygirls fiance has the BEST fiance!!!

UberClaire

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful ring! Could you post more pictures? My boyfriend and I are looking at AVCs around that carat size, and there aren't many pictures on PriceScope of AVCs in solitaire settings under 1ct.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
rubybeth|1342206949|3233426 said:

I have a favorite quote, or variation on a quote, supposedly by Theodore Roosevelt, "Comparison is the thief of joy." Also, another one I really like and have pinned to my office bulletin board is, "The more you love your decisions, the less you need others to love them."

I know it's difficult not to compare the things you have with the things others have, but you have a different set of priorities and goals than anyone else you know, and you have to own your values and stick to them.
Oh, I love both of these sentiments.

GirlyGirl--You have a beautiful ring, you love it, and that really should be all that matters. If I were you I'd try to figure out what it is that makes me feel judged around my friends--are they saying anything overtly, or are you just interpreting their behavior to be judgmental?

GirlyGirl

Shiny_Rock
UberClaire|1342209075|3233444 said:
Beautiful ring! Could you post more pictures? My boyfriend and I are looking at AVCs around that carat size, and there aren't many pictures on PriceScope of AVCs in solitaire settings under 1ct.

I'll do you one better. Here are 2 videos that I took today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4OcMaCZ08E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPT4m3otTRI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TBfmz8crbE

Youtube made them a little blurry. I wish I could properly capture its beauty. The stone shoots rainbows.

Hope this helps!

img_0075.jpg

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1342207635|3233438 said:
Meh.

Titan!!! you ROCK!!! That's the perfect attitude!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: Yes, Girlygirls fiance has the BEST fiance!!!

Adorable TITAN! I think your fiance must feel quite lucky too! ;))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a gorgeous diamond!!! :love: I think it is human nature to want to "fit in" in one's social circle. Yes, there are some who honestly do not care what anyone else thinks, but most of us do to some extent, if we are honest. I would not want the largest diamond in my circle, but I wouldn't want the smallest either.

You have a gorgeous stone, but you always have the option of upgrading that stone later if you really want. Or you can make that one a pendant and get a larger AVC for your e-ring. Many of us here who are older have new rings. I would just enjoy what you have now knowing that you can get a larger stone later (or add side stones) if it really becomes important to you. But that said, your true friends won't think a thing other than you chose quality over size!

db3737

Rough_Rock
That is a very very nice stone!!! and it looks big on your hand! as mentioned above I bet your diamond is alot better quality than alot of other peoples around, bigger is not better.

funny story... my fiancee's mom used to make jokes about her "cute" little stone compared to her 1.5 carat till i got tired of it.... as much as i try to be respectful to her mom and i tried to bite my tongue i could not help it anymore after I could tell it bothered my fiancee. So i told her mom "it might be a small stone but its internally flawless.... while your stone is bigger i can clearly see the inclusions with my own eye" lol she dropped all the small diamond jokes after that

Looking at your pictures and your hand size im wondering, I am have been looking around at 1 carats to replace my fiancee's 1/4 carat needless to say its a very good cut and looks "good" on her hand since she is petite with smaller hands/fingers. but it still seems a little on the small side. now that im looking at your stone im wondering if I should go with a 3/4 carat instead of a 1 since it looks like such a perfect fit! a 1 carat might look too big possibly

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
GirlyGirl we are cushion cousins! I have a 0.77 F vs2

It's a nice size because it's large enough to be noticable without being gauche.
I think of mine as a starter diamond - I always have the option to upgrade. :saint:

UberClaire

Shiny_Rock
Those videos are amazing! Thank you! Great setting too -- is that one of the Vatche settings? It looks so much like the Vatche Corsica, but without double prongs. I wish I had small fingers like yours -- I'm a 7.5 on my left hand, 8 on my right.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rubybeth|1342206949|3233426 said:

I have a favorite quote
SIZE means nothing if IT doesn't perform!!.. :wink2:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What everyone is saying is absolutely true!

Also, if down the road you start to wish for a bigger stone, you can *always* reset into a halo or a 3 stone for more finger coverage, and it's a lot less expensive than upgrading. Sometimes a reset makes you feel like you have a brand new diamond!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I cannot help with your compar-itis but I will say your stone is gorgeous. I love the cut. I hope you can enjoy your beautiful ring and enjoy the quality of the details. If you drop in color you may be able to upgrade the size through GOG but you probably won't get a 1.5 ct. My advice is to get a little blingy with a diamond band. But keep your perfect stone. It looks perfect on your slim finger.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enjoy your AVC, which is almost certainly the best cut in the room.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quality over quantity any day! I was engaged with a .75 carat diamond many years ago. Turns out it wasn't a very well cut stone - very limited knowledge in those days. I have upgraded many times (and you can too if you so desire) but I'm guessing that I might still be wearing that original stone if it had been as well cut as yours.

From my perspective, you're way ahead of the game with a beautifully cut diamond. Enjoy it for the way it looks and what it represents - don't worry about the others!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Girly that diamond is gorgeous! It really looks much larger on your slim fingers. Everyone gave you great feedback in regard to adding a blingy wedding band or resetting in the future, but for now enjoy it. If I saw you wearing it the last thing I would think it's that it's small.
I am strongly considering an AVC myself and doubt I would purchase anything larger than 1ct. The size you have looks positively elegant.

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
Christina...|1342222234|3233530 said:
Enerchi|1342207635|3233438 said:
Meh.

Adorable TITAN! I think your fiance must feel quite lucky too! ;))

Ladies, it's only true - all women are wonderful in each of your own unique, individual ways. A size of a stone should never be the measure of anything of the man and his wife/fiance.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I felt like you when I had a sapphire and not a diamond engagement ring like everyone else. I have no answers for you, but I can tell you my "issue" when away when I got a grat big diamond :lol:

novicediamond

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Girlygirl for the pics and video, this is a interesting and relevant topic to me, Im waiting on a .97 AVC and have been seriously wondering if I made the right choice and also would it be too small on my hands, Im also a 4.5 - Ive orderded the 2620 tiny halo and already thinking oh its going to be too small, should have got a bigger HW style halo... BUT having seen your post Im really happy and encouraged!! - Ive nothing to worry about, the coverage is great and they really are such mesmerising stones. For me the most beautiful aspect of a diamond is the fire and sparkle and Id much rather have a sparklier smaller stone than a bigger deader stone. I agree with others if you want more bling you can add with a eternity band especially as you have a plain shank. Oh and I LOVE that setting, I think it showcases the AVC perfectly! I LOVE the tiny cute prongs and slightly chunkier shank. Enjoy your new stone, its truly beautiful!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I think it is beautiful. There is always someone who will have a bigger diamond than you no matter what size you have.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
DROOOOOL :cheeky: :cheeky:

I would LOVE to see one of those in person! It looks absolutely stunning!!

You chose the size diamond, and you did so for a reason...because you felt it was the perfect size for YOU. And it really looks big in the pictures and videos! As others have said, you have the best cut stone and the most unique I'm sure (in a fabulous way!) :love: :love:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful and classic and looks lovely on your hand... Not to mention its a AVC! Enjoy it! :love:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hoping posting this works....

Here is an August Vintage 5 stone band from the GOG Website:
http://goodoldgold.com/images/August%20Vintage%20Jewelry/August%20Vintage%205%20stone%20ring%20collage.jpg (did it show up??)
and these are the details:

Current 5 Stone Rings in stock:
1.27cttw YG $4,925.
1.41cttw D-F in Plat $7,832.
10 Stone Rings in stock:
1.10cttw D VS $3,758.
0.90cttw E-F VS $3,505.

I'm thinking this would put DSS on hold for quite a while!!! What an amazing WB any of these would make - or a 7 stone or an 8... (I chose an 8 stone because the number "8" is supposed to help with decision making... hahahaha!! I have such trouble with that...!) Have a chat with Jonathan and see what they could create for you in the cushions. Put a .75mm spacer inbetween and you will now be the talk of your social circle!! "WOW - did you see Girlygirl's ring?? I'm SOOOO jealous" :twisted: Yup - that's the impact you are looking for!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
db3737|1342223935|3233539 said:
That is a very very nice stone!!! and it looks big on your hand! as mentioned above I bet your diamond is alot better quality than alot of other peoples around, bigger is not better.

funny story... my fiancee's mom used to make jokes about her "cute" little stone compared to her 1.5 carat till i got tired of it.... as much as i try to be respectful to her mom and i tried to bite my tongue i could not help it anymore after I could tell it bothered my fiancee. So i told her mom "it might be a small stone but its internally flawless.... while your stone is bigger i can clearly see the inclusions with my own eye" lol she dropped all the small diamond jokes after that

Looking at your pictures and your hand size im wondering, I am have been looking around at 1 carats to replace my fiancee's 1/4 carat needless to say its a very good cut and looks "good" on her hand since she is petite with smaller hands/fingers. but it still seems a little on the small side. now that im looking at your stone im wondering if I should go with a 3/4 carat instead of a 1 since it looks like such a perfect fit! a 1 carat might look too big possibly

Umm, no. Stick with your plan.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results