shape
carat
color
clarity

I have a diamond... now what do I do? A ton of ring-building questions!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

navy_pilot

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I have my diamond, it is a 1.54 almost perfectly square Radiant. I would like to find a setting for it... I know what I basically want, but where do I look to find only a setting? Can I buy a ring with 2 side baguettes and 4 prongs only (no stone)? Can my local jeweler put the stone I already own in any such generic setting? I just want to make sure I don''t buy something that doesn''t mesh. I know I want two, long, tapered but almost rectangle side stones (baguettes, right?) but I don''t know if I should buy those separate like I bought the loose stone. What do you think? How do I build this ring? Will anything work or look good other than a 4-prong setup? Are the prong notches dependent on the specific stone I bought?

My local jeweler said he would get me a 14k white gold band, with two H SI2 .25 ctw side stones, and set the entire thing for $825... is this a good buy?

Thank you very much!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Here's a setting by Vatche in PLATINUM for $1720, offered by WHiteflash, with pave instead of baguettes, but it looks like the look you are going for...?

Also the center stone is a princess, but you get the idea...

I have a very simple 4 prong (corner prongs) white gold setting for my squarish radiant...It cost no more than $60.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-little-radiant-that-could.13996/

So, white gold being cheap, and bagettes being about $825/carat for "promotional" G/H stones in the 3.5-4.0mm section of DCD:
http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/matched-diamond-sidestones.cfm

That would make them total $412.50, plus the gold, plus the labor, it's a wee bit high, I would bargain him down, if you trust him to do a goo job and you want to work with him...

Vatche Pave bagette like setting.jpg

navy_pilot

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply...

Yes, that nearly the exact thing I have pictured in my mind. What did you mean by "pave" vs. baguettes? I am sure I could look that up if you don't have time to explain...

So, what you are telling me is that there are TWO components: the setting and the ring? Will any generic 4-prong setting, like the one on your ring, couple with any ring?

I am having a little trouble with the chart on the DCD website... I understand the ratios but I do not understand how I get the shape that I want. Also, isn't this a big risk becasue they are not certified for insurance purposes? I have heard bad thing about non-certified stones...

SO, I still am confused about what I am looking for... if I find a ring style that I like, I should buy it and try to find stones to roughly match?

How much will the gold cost.... you mentioned "plus the price of the gold ring" as though maybe it was negligible...?

The sidestones the jewler was showing me for 825 were GIA... does that matter?

THANKS

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait a minute... a pair of baguettes GIA certified !? Did you see the cert or something? This is a first for me. It is very rare for such stones to be certified - the cert would have costed the jeweler more than the stones!

This job should be readily done with. It is often advised around here that all one needs for the initial presentation is a stone and the most inexpensive setting out there. This lets the girl choose the setting - usually a very pleasant 'sport' for most persons concerned. Also, this makes your task easier. Nicrez got her stone this way, and there are many more.

Otherwise, most ready-made settings for square stones would be labeled as if for princess cuts (just because this is the most often encountered square). Some would surely fit your stone. Quite a few designers are listed on THIS site... if you like browsing.

navy_pilot

Rough_Rock
Well,

I made the "mistake" (ha ha) of including her in the shopping process... so I know exactly what she is looking for. I just want to do it all right the first time... the right setting and stone so that I can avoid future drama and cost. I am 99% sure that the side stones have GIA cert, which really, really surprised me too. I am not sure, I will stop by the jewelers on the way home today and check on that.

So, I know what I want, I am basically just trying to find out how to do it and HOW TO DO IT FOR TEH LEAST AMOUNT OF MONEY!!

I am confused still... I browsed a few of the sites you showed me- if I purchase the setting only, one that is slated to be a princess ring, it will indeed hold my radiant stone? What do they do, just bend the prongs to match? What about the notches at the top of the prongs?

Given my basic ring layout, what is the least expensive way I can go about making a ring from my stone? There HAVE to be other people that spent "too much" on the stone and then had to compensate by piecing together a ring... maybe I am alone!

Thanks again!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Almost forgot of THESE guys!

Worth asking... it would take a month to browse that site
rolleyes.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Navy,

The setting is a tough thing, maybe mores so than the diamond at times! I am currently going through it too!!! So, I feel your pain!

Mostly, you will elarn that many people here go for platinum, which is costly, especially compared to white gold. I have a white gold setting which I like mostly because it's so light and airy, as well as white and shiny...(but it DOES scratch easier). That said, white gold is a great way to go to get a great look for less than platinum, and I recommend it sometimes more than platinum. Like I said gold will be maybe about $100 for a simple setting in gold, versus $650+ for the same in platinum! Not worth it to many people...

As for the setting of the stone, they will not give you those princess corner prongs, since your radiant DOESN'T HAVE corners...They will use prongs that curve over the edge of the cut corners and look like little tiny balls at each corner. They even use this for some princesses. I will try taking a picture of my prongs to show you what I mean.

Your setting isn't difficult to find, but most likely a good jeweler will customize the prongs to fit the stone, even if the setting is already made. Any good jeweler would do this at an already established price before hand, because it's part of the proper fitting for the stone. Also, if you see some nice setting in platinum, try calling to find out how much cheaper the white gold version would be...also consider 14K is sotrnger than 18K white gold, but that's your choice to make for strength over purity of gold...

Good luck!!!

navy_pilot

Rough_Rock
I am definitley fine with 14k white gold... no reason for me to spend more IMO.

Anwyay, another matter of confusion...

If you purchase one of the many settings shown on the above websites, they come mailed to you with a ring only, right? SO, while I can get the generic "radiant" ring type and setting PRE-FABRICATED, how do I get the side stones to be the correct size? The ring settings come to you with prongs for the big stone and slots on the sides for the baguettes, right? Hw will this all fit together? The only way I can see it is if the side stones come as part of the pre-fabbed ring/setting and all I am required to supply is the center diamond... it seems like I am obviously not putting it together or I am missing something here!

Thanks!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
My honest opinion: Find a jeweler you trust and let him out in the "uncertified" sidestones of the shape of your choice, in 14K gold and set how you like. I personally, would do this in person, and always try to bargain the price upfront and before hand. Some people have used on-line retailers to do this, and that's OK, it depends on the jewelers around you, and if you trust them. If not Online can be a good and easy way to do it.

Don't shop for sidestones at that size and cut. It's not worth it, because then you may need to get a custom setting, which may cost more. Get a pre-fabbed ring, and if they don't have it exactly, see what it will cost to have one made to your specs. When discussing it, tell them it's a radiant, and give them the exact dimension (in millimeters) of your stone, so they can account for it in the basket and prongs.

Even setting a stone requires trust and some faith in the person doing it, so go with someone you have spoekn to and feel truly comfortable with. That's just my $.02, becuase it's TOO MUCh of a hassel to shop around for the side stones at that size, cut and type...Good luck!

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Just a bit of warning on the SI2 clarity of the baguettes - I would absolutely not do SI2 in that ctw size. You will see those inclusions the minute the stones get even a little dirty (probably even when clean). VS2 is the lowest clarity I would go.
10.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess both your stone and the setting (with side-stones in place) should descend at a jeweler's shop who can give the last bit of advice on the setting (will it fit, can it be adjusted... etc.). The usual way if to tell the jeweler the source for the setting and let him order the right size or slander the source (end of deal) or match/beat the offer. Not sure about the one jeweler with the SI2 baguettes: that one already known you just might buy his thing.

Jewelers have catalogs of settings anyway. How different can it be to indicate your preferred source to one?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results