shape
carat
color
clarity

I got my EightStar today!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Wink- I sent you one by e-mail a little earlier...
1.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
That's going to look great. You might blind passerbys though.
I can't wait to see the finished product.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 8/24/2004 11:43:02 PM quaeritur wrote:

Hey Wink- I sent you one by e-mail a little earlier...
1.gif
----------------
Cool, I will open it in the office tomorrow.

Wink

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aug must be 8* month ,i notice there's some new owners here on p.s.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Q
i just got an idea now you must get Wink to tell Paul cut you a FIC ,since they don't grow on trees.
2.gif

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
I think you're right, vtigger! Paul's cutting is truly masterful, I can't even imagine how beautiful a Paul Slegers FIC would be!!!
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So many beautiful diamonds, Q! My eyes are blinded this morning from first viewing your new tension ring and now this 8*. You really make me want to get another diamond just for the sake of having one with medium fluoresence.

wanderlost

Shiny_Rock
chrono - don't be scared of the fluor!.... med blue is great, but strong is even better!
1.gif

quaeritur - it looks magnificent! Congrats! But what is this about having it set right away - don't you want to play with it loose for a while?

Looks great... be sure to post more pics soon!

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
OK, here are the big flashes vtigger was talking about... pretty huge for a stone under 1/2ct!!!
10.gif

These aren't the best pics ever... I think the camera was being blinded too!

flashing8star.jpg

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Wow Quaeritur! As one who takes photos everyday, I recognize these as being very impressive. Terrific fire.

Congratulations!

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Rich!

Here's another one I thought was cool... I scanned it in!
1.gif

scan-1.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Q
stop it youuu show off
Up_to_something.gif
,just kidding,beautiful stone i knew those big flashes will blind you,did you get a job at macaroni gill yet?
10.gif
love.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow! Have a little dispersion why don't you!

Wink

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 8/28/2004 5:07:04 AM quaeritur wrote:

Thanks Rich!

Here's another one I thought was cool... I scanned it in!
1.gif
----------------

quaeritur, that has got to be one of the most beautiful pictures I have seen to date on these boards. That diamond sure speaks for itself. Absolutely out of this world.
love.gif
appl.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very nice shots Q. They demonstrate a phenomena I was just trying to describe to someone in another thread. The fact that alot of colors (D-K) will take on a dark appearance in direct light conditions but in a truly well cut diamond the fire will be superior among those facets that are reflecting back the light. Even in a half carat!!!
1.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Q. That last shot ... did you lay the diamond on a flatbed scanner to capture that one?

sparker

Shiny_Rock
Absultely beautiful. My eyes just love sparkly things. I feel like one of those tropical birds that builds their nests with shiny things. What a wonderful idea to get a stone re-cut. Never heard of such a thing. Can't wait to see the final result.

Suz

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 8/29/2004 2:09:10 PM Rhino wrote:

Q. That last shot ... did you lay the diamond on a flatbed scanner to capture that one?----------------

Yep. Cool look, ey?

I understand what you're saying about the stone looking dark in direct light. It gives off these crazy flashes of color, but the stone looks fundamentally dark. In diffuse or soft light, the stone looks bright white, but you have to look up close for the dispersion -it's not in the flashes, but much more subtle and more inside, if that makes any sense
1.gif

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
OK, I can't stop myself. This rock is SOOOOOO cool!!!!!!! Not only does it have strong blue fluorescence, but after the UV light source is removed, it continues to phosphoresce for a really long time (several minutes!)... I've also discovered that my non-fluorescent e-ring stone also phosphoresces very slightly, and my BN tension ring stone also continues to glow in the dark. But the EightStar really takes the cake. Here's a pic under UV (I'll have to work on really long exposure times to see if I can capture the phosphorescence...

UV8star.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Q
how much does a 8* blue diamond worth in this size ?
9.gif

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
The last pic was pavilion side up, this one is table up...

UV8startable.jpg

Patty

Ideal_Rock
quaeritur, Your blue pictures are GREAT...very cool!

Diamond Angel

Rough_Rock
uh..ok wait a minute. i was told that flourescence (sp?) was not desirable...? help?

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Diamond Angel-

Fluorescence isn't cut and dry -some people prefer it, others don't. It can reduce the value of a diamond in the colorless range (like this one -though the price difference wasn't appreciable because it's a smaller stone) or come at a premium in the lower color grades, because blue fluor can make a stone with yellow tint look whiter. I happen to think it's a really cool phenomenon, and so I look for it in my diamonds. This stone has strong blue fluor, but it is only visible in certain lighting conditions (with a UV component). Yellow fluorescence can make a stone look yellower, and seems to have more effect on price, from what I've seen. In rare cases, very strong fluor can make the stone look oily or milky, which is not something I like, but I've only seen this in a stone at the Smithsonian
2.gif

I'd say, decide for yourself if it's something you like, don't let it scare you off!

crazy8star.jpg

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Here's the effect that some folks (like myself) just love...

OK, now I promise to stop with the pics already!
12.gif

backlit8star.jpg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In the old days we both paid and charged a premium for nicely fluorescent stones like Q's. In the late seventies that changed with thee invesment craze when people bought paper instead of stones. Some people still do. Q buys stones that she loves, good choice!

Wink

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Oh Q, I love seeing all these pictures.
That stone is something else. You may never want to get it set. Then you'ld have to stop "playing" with it!

lindsal

Shiny_Rock
Ah Q... that last shot's the one. I LOVE IT, my 8* often shows the same way and I just have to stare and stare at it.

I can't' believe these amazing pictures.

I finally found out that our camera's macro mode is completely caput, so no pictures of my ring for a while. (Good thing FMIL works for Olympus and Christams is right around the corner, at least we can get a new one.)

Beth

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations on your new 8*. Your photos are amazing - so are 8*'s. Well done Wink and Richard! I am interested in an 8* too. Options seem so limited though in terms of available stock. I did not know they would pick a candidate for recut. That sounds like a really good alternative to buying from the selection of existing stones. Recutting sure isn't cheap though. Hmmm. I don't fall in anybody's "territory" you know Wink !
naughty.gif

Diamond Angel

Rough_Rock
ok q thank you again for being patient with me...and to wink. funny how the people at zales told me again today that flour. is a bad quality. however they also told me that the internet is a scam when i can plainly find diamonds of the same quality for better prices here.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results