shape
carat
color
clarity

I got my 5ct!! YAY!! Now I need help with a setting please

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I shall do a proper "reveal" (as they say in the Purse Forum) with more specs later, but for now I will say that I am beyond estatic!! :)) :)) :)) My dream has finally come true!! The diamond is BEAUTIFUL!! :love: :love: :love:

Now I need the help of PS'ers to iron out the details of the setting. I've already gone through the agonising decision of whether to go for an ornate setting vs a simple solitaire one. I'd like to get my grubby little paws on this hot little number asap (I can always have it reset later, right, ha ha). So, I've decided to go for a simple solitaire setting with Leon Mege and these are what I am thinking I'd like, thus far:

- a non-cathedral shank (ie. uniform shank) with the "donut" as small as possible, so I can wear my 25pt eternity band flush with this ring.

- I'd like the diamond to be set a tiny bit higher, ie. 1mm higher, than he normall sets them. Is this enough/ too much? I normally like my rings to be set lower, but lower set diamonds can look smaller than they actually are. I'd like my 5ct to look like a 5ct and not smaller, ha ha... Besides, I get a kick out of being able to see the culet.

- band width to be 1.6-1.8mm. Is that too thin/ too thick for this diamond? I'd like the diamond to really pop and have always disliked thicker bands for *me*. I think Haven's is 1.65mm and JGNY's 1.45mm (if I am wrong, pls correct me) and I love how their diamonds really pop.

- the band to be uniform in size throughout, ie. NOT graduating.

- 8 tiny single claw prongs, also uniform in size/ thickness, so the setting will be like an 8-prong martini . Iniitally, I was thinking of 4 double-claw prongs but am worried about the safety aspect, ie. prongs becoming loose, hitting the diamond against something (I am such a klutz, lol) etc. 6 prongs would be ok, but I'd prefer a more symmetrical arrangement with all the prongs neatly lined up/ aligned with the tips of the arrows and the same spacing in between. Hence the 8 prongs.

- I haven't decided whether to have the "stems" (not sure what the technical term is, lol), ie. the bits going from the donut to the prongs, ie the body of the prongs, set straight or slightly curved out. Which would look nicer, aesthetically speaking?

- I'm undecided as far as millegrain vs. non-millegrain. I'm more inclined to go with the former but would that look a bit too antique-y for a modern diamond, ie. modern RB vs. antique stones? I love the antique look but am just not sure about how it'd look paired with this diamond.

- shall I ask for the metal to be brushed or smooth, shiny? It'll be in platinum since it's a LM so am not sure if there's a choice but if there is, which should I go for?

Oh and I'd like the setting, particularly the pavillion to be as open as possible. I'd like to be able to see the diamond in all its own glory, yay!! :bigsmile:

That's all I can think of. Is there anything else? I haven't seen anything on LM site that resembles what I am looking for, so this will be a bespoke setting, and I'll need to specify the details as accurately as possible to Leon.

Thank you, folks. And thank you for your help with the diamond too.

XO

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: I got my 5ct!! YAY!! Now I need help with a setting pl

OMG!

I need a zillion pics please.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock

Congratulations!!!

My only comment is that for me PERSONALLY 1.6-1.8, ESPECIALLY with a rock that big, is likely too thin. I wouldn't go under 2.0 in my humble opinion.

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock

congrats !!!! can't wait to see the beauty soon !!!

that said, i would go for 2mm since the stone is so large and heavy, i worry it may spin around the finger if the band is too thin? visually i really do believe it would look just as thin as a 1.8mm with a rock this size.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, that's great Phoenix, I'm very happy for you! It's a wonderful thing to have a dream come true! :appl:

I'm a little out of my element giving setting advice, especially for such a large diamond, but I will just offer my few thoughts...I like your setting ideas - I would probably go closer to 2.0 so that the stone and band are in proportion to each other, and I lean towards no milgrain - I can't even give a reason why, I just like the idea of a more modern looking setting for this size diamond.

I just wanted to congratulate you on finding your dream diamond, and I can't wait to see pics!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lol, all you 2mm folks. 2mm is so little and thin!

also lol, Phoenix, I will LOVE to see your diamond and your setting, but I can't help much! I love cathedral shanks, low-set diamonds, and wide bands. BUT... eight prongs, yesss. Eight prongs on big diamonds looks stunning. I'd probably have the stems curved if possible. I would not do millegrain - I think with the kind of setting you are picking, and the bigness of the diamond, you just want the setting to be an elegant way of showcasing your pretty rock (I have to admit I'm not even sure where you'd put the millegrain). Errr, as for the finish, do you like the patina of platinum? If you plan to let it patina, I'd just get a lightly brushed finish so you won't have the thing where the top is shinier than the bottom. I personally hate shiny prongs and the first thing I do when I get a ring is rough them up so they're no longer so reflective, but I understand not everyone takes such a proactive approach to altering their jewelry as I do.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Excellent!

But with so many specific requests I would not work with Leon. I would have Steven Kirsch or someone else make it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Dreamer_D|1347338223|3265789 said:
Excellent!

But with so many specific requests I would not work with Leon. I would have Steven Kirsch or someone else make it.

This. AND 2mm for sure.

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock

Dreamer_D|1347338223|3265789 said:
Excellent!

THIS again :lol:

I also vote no millegrain for this particular piece.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oooh, congratulations Phoenix!! :appl:
Your long search has paid off and I'm happy for you!
Ditto no less than 2 mm (or a bit thicker if that is what the trusted jeweler you are working with recommends- 5 carats will pop no worries!) and I don't think you can go wrong with Leon or Steven. Best of luck in setting and looking forward to pics of your new beauty!!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The suspense is killing me! Pics soon, please!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

:appl: :appl: :appl: Yay! I am happy for you, Phoenix!

I am also going to recommend working with either Victor or SK. I would personally choose Victor because his work is just perfection. I would say that 2mm is very thin for a 5 carat stone. A member here had big problems with her delicate 3 ct. solitaire setting from L, so I am going to say that I would not even consider that.

If you don't want the cathedral sides, you'll probably need a basket, so again, I'd go with Victor and ask for a 2mm shank. That is tiny for a 5 carat stone. It is thin even with a 1 ct. stone! Don't have shank anorexia!!! :bigsmile:

Oh, and of course, the prongs would be curved and not V-shaped, and no milgrain.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you, everyone, for your congrats and sweet words! :))

On the band width "issue", I hear you, but (there's always a but, lol :wink2: ) my pear ring which carries a halo'ed 3.50ct pear has a 1.9mm band (I had it measured at the jeweller's today), and I've never had any issue with it, touch wood. I'll ask Leon what he thinks of 1.8mm on this diamond (this 5ct is actually smaller than my pear in length). I won't go smaller than 1.8mm, I promise. :saint:

Distracts, actually, you've brought up a good issue about the patina. I actually wasn't thinking of it. The reason I thought of brushed metal vs shiny meltal is because of Hermes hardware, lol. I just think that sometimes shiny is better whereas at others brushed is nicer. Ok, I shall continue to think about it some more.

Diamondseeker, may I ask why you say no millegrain? :))

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

On a separate issue, isn't bandwidth a term of art and something to do with radiofrequency or computers or something like that, lol?!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, you know I love milgrain :)) , but I just don't see adding it to a traditional solitaire. I think having it plain allows you to use any kind of band you want. I have seen milgrain on a basket before, and I might consider that. But probably not on such a large diamond. It really will be the focus and I am not sure the setting needs any embellishment.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here's a pic of the diamond Perry took for me. That's all I have for now, I am afraid.

I can now share a few more details with you guys, since my payment has now cleared! :wink2: :tongue: Perry Chen is the person who sourced the diamond for me. I would like to thank Perry, for his AMAZING patience. I've asked him, on and off, for about 2 years now (I think.. not sure) to look for a 5ct for me. I almost bought something from him a while ago but for one reason or another didn't. I re-commenced my search about 2 months ago and we've traded many emails and talked on the 'phone numerous times. NOT once did Perry ever complain about my bothering him. Perry also has a very keen eye for detail and I certainly trust his judgement. We considered several stones and we finally decided on this one, a 5.318ct H VS2, AGS certed, ideal-cut. It was Perry's top pick or cherry-pick amongst the choices. It is most certainly my sweet spot!! :love: :love: :love:

I'd also like to thank David Wolf of Just Appraisers who did the appraisal of the stone for me. David did an amazing job as well and am also very grateful to him.

_857.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1347373031|3265938 said:
Well, you know I love milgrain :)) , but I just don't see adding it to a traditional solitaire. I think having it plain allows you to use any kind of band you want. I have seen milgrain on a basket before, and I might consider that. But probably not on such a large diamond. It really will be the focus and I am not sure the setting needs any embellishment.

Ha ha, I thought just that. I thought "but DS loves millegrain! 8) "! But I see what you are saying. So maybe an ultra-modern look, shiny sleek setting with no millegrain?

PS. I have no idea what is the correct spelling of "millegrain", lol!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful, phoenix! You've definitely hit the jackpot! Can we get some dimensions on your diamond? It's going to look huge on your tiny finger! BTW, is that a smudge at the 8 o'clock position on your diamond on the periphery?

I'm guessing that you are using LM for your setting b/c he's got your stone on consignment and b/c Perry helped source the stone?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

mom2boys|1347373757|3265950 said:
Beautiful, phoenix! You've definitely hit the jackpot! BTW, is that a smudge at the 8 o'clock position on your diamond on the periphery?

I'm guessing that you are using LM for your setting b/c he's got your stone on consignment and b/c Perry helped source the stone?

Ha ha, that "smudge" is the inclusion or inclusions. Both David and Perry say that this is a great clarity, more like a VS1 than VS2. I certainly have hit the jackpot!! :)) :)) I couldn't be happier. My patience has finally paid off.

Yes, Perry has sourced the diamond for me and he's sooooo kind and sweet and amazing. I can't say enough kind words about him.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

WOW!! :-o :love: congrats Phoenix!! love the H VS2 combo.. :appl: what is the diameter on this stone? about 11mm?

armywife13

Ideal_Rock

How exciting! Congrats on the AMAZING diamond, Phoenix!!! :appl:

I agree with others, I think I would go with 2 mm band width and no milgraining. I like the idea of a simple, elegant, sleek solitaire that will let that honker be the star! I am not sure what I would do regarding brushed vs polished....I haven't seen many brushed settings on here, though I would love to. After seeing how easily my bezel and shank become scratched, I can definitely see the benefit of that type of finish.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire|1347374851|3265960 said:
WOW!! :-o :love: congrats Phoenix!! love the H VS2 combo.. :appl: what is the diameter on this stone? about 11mm?

Thank you, DF.

Ha ha, I was thinking about you actually, cuz I know that H VS2 is also your sweet spot. The diameter is about 11.22mm on average.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Phoenix|1347373969|3265954 said:
mom2boys|1347373757|3265950 said:
Beautiful, phoenix! You've definitely hit the jackpot! BTW, is that a smudge at the 8 o'clock position on your diamond on the periphery?

Ha ha, that "smudge" is the inclusion or inclusions. Both David and Perry say that this is a great clarity, more like a VS1 than VS2. I certainly have hit the jackpot!! :)) :)) I couldn't be happier. My patience has finally paid off.

Yes, Perry has sourced the diamond for me and he's sooooo kind and sweet and amazing. I can't say enough kind words about him.
you sure did!!... looks like a very,very nice VS2 for a stone of this size... :love:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Phoenix|1347375086|3265965 said:

Thank you, DF.

Ha ha, I was thinking about you actually, cuz I know that H VS2 is also your sweet spot. The diameter is about 11.22mm on average.
will you marry me?.. :naughty:.. yes,i love the H VS2 combo.. :love: :appl:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock

sweet lord that is one juicy stone!!!! I don't have any help with the setting, but I can't wait to see what you end up with!!!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire|1347376212|3265975 said:
Phoenix|1347375086|3265965 said:

Thank you, DF.

will you marry me?.. :naughty:.. yes,i love the H VS2 combo.. :love: :appl:

You ARE soooo bad!! :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh, and polished metal, absolutely! Your bands would have polished metal, I would assume? I think milgrain is the American spelling, but it could be different elsewhere.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Phoenix, it's gorgeous.
May you wear it for a hundred happy and healthy years.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Yay Phoenix! That's going to be quite some honker on your tiny finger!! I agree with DS about the setting...every thing she said...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm so glad it worked out! I'm very excited for you and can't wait to see the finished ring!

Phoenix|1347333664|3265749 said:
- I'd like the diamond to be set a tiny bit higher, ie. 1mm higher, than he normall sets them. Dont you need it to set high
enough so the tops/sides of your eternity ring dont hit it? I'm not sure what that would be though.

- band width to be 1.6-1.8mm. I'm with the 2.0mm folks.

- the band to be uniform in size throughout, ie. NOT graduating.Sounds good...more of modern look.

- 8 tiny single claw prongs, also uniform in size/ thickness, so the setting will be like an 8-prong martini . Should be beautiful
with 8 prongs.

- I haven't decided whether to have the "stems" (not sure what the technical term is, lol), ie. the bits going from the donut to the prongs, ie the body of the prongs, set straight or slightly curved out. Which would look nicer, aesthetically speaking?Slightly curved
would be my choice.

- I'm undecided as far as millegrain vs. non-millegrain. I'm more inclined to go with the former but would that look a bit too antique-y for a modern diamond, ie. modern RB vs. antique stones? I love the antique look but am just not sure about how it'd look paired with this diamond.I love milgrain but for this setting I'm thinking no.

- shall I ask for the metal to be brushed or smooth, shiny? It'll be in platinum since it's a LM so am not sure if there's a choice but if there is, which should I go for? Smooth for me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results