shape
carat
color
clarity

I finally picked the diamond... what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

someguy

Rough_Rock
You know, one of the best things about this message board is that it allows people to talk about this sort of thing when you want to keep it a secret. It's like when you get a really good Christmas present for someone and then you want to give it right away. At leat we can talk about it here!

someguy

Rough_Rock
It seems that I somehow messup the original message while trying to fix teh URL. Here's the original:

It took me a while, but I think that I came across the ultimate diamond. I'll spare you the boring details--all that I need to say is that I was originally looking for a 1ct rock, regardless (well, almost regardless) of the other qualities, especially cut. Now, that I've been enlightened by this message board and places like GOG, and seen a few horrible looking (albeit large) duds, I've "settled" for something a little bit smaller. I hope that she likes it!

Well, here it is:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/0_84ct_h_vs1__h%26a.htm

(I hope that it's ok to post a direct link to the GOG site, if not, sorry!). It seems that I do not know how to link properly. I just put it on hold, and I think that it'll go great with the vatche royal crown setting! The thing that sold me were the brilliancescope results... I've been checking for a while and hadn't seen any other diamonds in that price range that scored so high.

The way I came across this particular diamond was quite a fluke, let me tell you. Like I said, I had been checking for a while, and the only diamonds within my price range (I can't afford more than $3800 for the diamond) were all I colour. However, these ones were all very clean (like VVS1 and VVS2) so the price was about the same. I was thinking: "Man these diamonds are great, but I don't really want to pay for VVS1 when VS1 or VS2 would do. If only there was an H colour, VS1..." And then it was there! I wrote and I got a very speedy reply, but unfortunately the diamond I wanted was on hold for another customer. That really sucked, BUT... then Christen at GOG wrote back a few days later and said that the previous customer didn't want it anymore!! So it almost seemed like fate and I am now in the process of buying it. I can't wait to see the look on my gf's face when she opens that little box... Anyway, that's my story so far. I really like GOG because I feel as if I know exactly what I'm getting without having to be there.

Well, what do you fanatics think? It is allright? Thanks!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone is excuisite! There are no detractions to it.

Do you have second thoughts? I wouldn't, and the stuff below is all I could think of as counter argument, along the line of "size matters":

The H&A label ensures two things: light return and the respective patters. I surely understand why people want sparkly diamonds, but the preference for a certain thickness of those arrows (the harts cannot be seen in mounting) is a different matter. So why not get a gem with comparable sparkle and symmetry but without the H&A premium (and thus either cheaper or bigger or both)? Mara did that...
Here it is an EXAMPLE (not within all your parameters, just an example). Good Old Gold can find you one (as advertized on their site).

diamond dazed

Rough_Rock
I think that stone is going to be a knock out! That light return is off the charts! I can't wait to hear what you think about it when you see it in person, hope you'll post right away.

I'm sure your GF will be amazed, and the fact that it's .16 under a carat isn't going to matter one iota. I'm sure that it will look like a carat with all that sparkle.

Congratulations!

Kris

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awesome diamond!
Congrates!

magna2

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations. Great looking diamond.

rodent.gif

bling

Shiny_Rock
What a great looking stone! I too got my stone from GOG and they were fantastic..I could not thanks them enough! I also had my stone set in the royal crown setting...and i get compliments on it all the time. even though its a relatively simple setting, it has a flare all its own. your diamond will look perfect in that setting..and your GF will love it! congrats and please post pics when you can!
appl.gif

someguy

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the nice compliments. I'm not really having seconds doubts, it's just that it's always difficult to be 100% certain! Hearing that you made a good choice sure doens't hurt anything though
9.gif

Great suggestion valeria101, I've thought about it, but I don't think that I'll find something that has the same level of light return that's not a H&A. I like the idea that I'm getting the very best for my girl! Although in certain sudden moments of doubt I wonder if we would actually be able to see the difference in sparkle between the one I picked and the one you mention in your post (for example). Oh well, I don't want to start thinking about it! It has consumed enough of my time allready!

As soon as I get it, I'll let everyone know how it looks, promise. You'll have to wait a few weeks though because I'm only going to have it at the end of the month...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results