shape
carat
color
clarity

I don''t understand something

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tarams

Shiny_Rock
Please, can I get your opinions and explanation?

Im looking at a 1.27 D VS2. It''s measurements are:

6.92-6.89 X 4.28

depth 62.0
table 57
Crown < 34.5
Crown Height 15.0
Pavillion < 40.8
Pav Depth 43.0

No Fluoresence
Girdle - M - Sl TK, faceted

Cut - VG
Polish - VG
Symm - Ex

I''m confused because when run through Gem Advisor, each item is graded as a 1A and it gets a final grade of 1A. In HCA I get EX, EX, EX, VG final 1.4 and the "x" that marks this diamond comes up within the GIA & AGS sections. Why does GIA grade the cut as VG & not EX - is it not based on the specs but quality or something else?

And my second question is - should I really let the VG for cut & polish bother me considering everthing else about the stone?

Thanks ahead of time for you help & opinions!
~ Tara
26.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You just want the HCA less than 2. That''s it.

If you''ve seen it, and it looks great, than VG symm/pol shouldn''t bother you. If you haven''t seen it, post the pics here.

Tarams

Shiny_Rock
I have not seen it. I was sent "a pic of it" but it''s owned by another co so I wonder if the pic is the actual stone. Either way, here it is....

1.27DVS2.jpg

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is there any extra comments on the report? Maybe it is being penalized for painting or digging? That is all I can think off.

Tarams

Shiny_Rock
Under additional coments:
additional clouds not shown
surface graining not shown

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
GIA graded it VG, because the grader ranked the polish as VG. That's what brought the grade down from EX.

The angles and other measurements are within GIA EX. Polish and symmetry can knock the grade. I wouldn't have a problem with vg polish. It may have very fine, transparent polish lines--that you won't be able to see.

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2008 6:11:21 PM
Author: coatimundi
GIA graded it VG, because the grader ranked the polish as VG. That''s what brought the grade down from EX.

The angles and other measurements are within GIA EX. Polish and symmetry can knock the grade. I wouldn''t have a problem with vg polish. It may have very fine, transparent polish lines--that you won''t be able to see.

Is that a recent thing? I never seen a cut grade knock down by VG polish/symm before.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
They’re dinging you for the depth.
61.9% would have been an excellent (assuming there are no additional problems with parameters that you''ve not listed).

You can play with the parameters yourself at www.facetware.gia.edu.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
GIA EX range for total depth is 57.5-63.0. That is what I learned 3 months ago--has that changed?

eta: just checked out the facetware--it contradicts what we were recently taught.
33.gif

Tarams

Shiny_Rock
Okay, the update is that the pic above IS NOT of the diamond I was told it was of. I''m considering 3 diamonds & am now even more confused trying to compare & narrow down to one! Other than the one listed above, my other 2 choices are:

a 1.36 D Si1 7.14 - 7.10 x 4.36

cut/pol/sym all = EX

D 61.2
T 58
C < 35.0
C height 15.0
P < 40.6
P depth 43
g= M-SlTk

or

a 1.25 D Si1 6.91 - 6.98 X 4.27

cut/pol/sym all = EX

D 61.5
T 56
C < 35.5
C height 15.5
P < 40.8
P depth 43
g= thn - med, faceted

Neither has fluoresence, both of the above diamonds are advertised as "Triple Ex, Hearts & Arrows" by someone who claims to be the pickiest cut expert who sells only superb diamonds.
On the GIA map the Si1 for the 1.25 looks really clean. Seller (who has both of the above stones) says the 1.25 is the better of the 2.

So which is your pick?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ideal Scope pictures would be very useful.

Tarams

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, I haven''t seen any of these in person & I don''t have any images available.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/17/2008 12:42:03 AM
Author: Tarams
Sorry, I haven''t seen any of these in person & I don''t have any images available.
Ask the vendor if they can send you Idealscope images.

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
If going by the numbers I will go with the 1.36. Is the previous stone still in the competition?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results