shape
carat
color
clarity

I can''t wear my diamonds -- fit problem (large knuckles)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RaineeRose

Rough_Rock
Hi, everyone. I''m glad I found this forum. In the past few months, my knuckles seem to have gotten larger, and for the past week or so, I haven''t been able to get my engagement ring and wedding band over my knuckle at all. I know I will have to get the ring resized to fit over my knuckle, but the rest of my finger is much smaller, and I know that my rings will spin. I have read about sizing beads -- are these my best option? Do they damage the ring in any way? How do they work when you wear two rings on one finger? Will both of my rings need the beads? Will I have to have my rings soldered? How costly is it to have the beads added? What happens if my knuckle size goes down again?

I''m sorry about all the questions. I''ve just been so sad lately about my knuckle size since I haven''t been able to wear my rings.
8.gif
Thank you in advance for your advice.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS!

I am sorry you are having this trouble with your rings, but lets see what we can do to give you some help here! I think initially if you do a search with the tool top right, enter sizing beads, many threads come up with pros and cons regarding people's experiences with them. This might give you some ideas to begin with until some who have used them perhaps can chime in for you. The older threads should answer many of your questions about comfort and installation etc.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi and welcome to PS!! I have the exact same problem. My finger size is between a 4.25 and 4.5 but I have to have a size 5 to go over my knuckle. My ER has sizing beads on it but I find I really don''t like them. They are fine once the ring is on but I find them to be painful when taking the ring on and off. My jeweler has recently switched me to what he calls a bridge and that seems to be working fine for me. Here are pictures of the sizing beads and the "bridge".

cmssizingbeads1.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the bridge:

cmsbridge1.jpg

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
Cat mom--thanks for posting your pictures. I''ve just bought a larger size ring and it is great for the summer--but I am concerned about the winter months when my fingers get really slim cos then my ring spins (in air-conditioning), so here''s my question: When you fingers are at their biggest does that little bridge feel uncomfortable? Or maybe we don''t share the same problem at all, does your fingerand knuckle change sizes like mine?

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/7/2007 2:00:27 PM
Author: HappyAnniversary
Cat mom--thanks for posting your pictures. I''ve just bought a larger size ring and it is great for the summer--but I am concerned about the winter months when my fingers get really slim cos then my ring spins (in air-conditioning), so here''s my question: When you fingers are at their biggest does that little bridge feel uncomfortable? Or maybe we don''t share the same problem at all, does your fingerand knuckle change sizes like mine?
Yes, both change size depending upon the weather, etc. The bridge is very comfortable and I never feel it. I''m in the process of switching all of my RH rings over to bridges. There are other ways of handling the problem, too. I know there are some people on here that have had spring clips added to the insides of their rings and there is a company that actually adds a hinge into the ring shank so that the ring can be opened to get over a large knuckle.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
A horshoe sizer might also work and this should be fairly comfortable to wear. It is an insert that flexes back when your finger/knuckle is large and springs forward towards your finger when your finger is smaller.

Another thought would be getting a ring that opens from the side. Some women with arthritis or very large knuckles wear these types of rings. Sorry, I don''t have any pictures though.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I had beads but did not like them. They just didn''t really stop the spinning. Plus there is no adjustment for hot and cold weather. So I had them taken out and a horseshoe put in. I love it; here is my ring with the sizer in it:

hushus.jpg

dunndeal

Rough_Rock
Hi Rainee,

There are some wonderful suggestions on this thread and they all have merit. The horseshoe will probably be your best bet in terms of comfort and versatility. For really bad knuckle problems I would consider a fingermate but it''s unlikely you need that since this is a relatively new problem. Fingermates can also be costly and unsightly if you have a pave or engraved shank too!

Good Luck,

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/7/2007 8:54:38 AM
Author:RaineeRose
Hi, everyone. I''m glad I found this forum. In the past few months, my knuckles seem to have gotten larger, and for the past week or so, I haven''t been able to get my engagement ring and wedding band over my knuckle at all. I know I will have to get the ring resized to fit over my knuckle, but the rest of my finger is much smaller, and I know that my rings will spin. I have read about sizing beads -- are these my best option? Do they damage the ring in any way? How do they work when you wear two rings on one finger? Will both of my rings need the beads? Will I have to have my rings soldered? How costly is it to have the beads added? What happens if my knuckle size goes down again?

I''m sorry about all the questions. I''ve just been so sad lately about my knuckle size since I haven''t been able to wear my rings.
8.gif
Thank you in advance for your advice.
Not to be an alarmist but have you seen a doctor about this? It seems very sudden. There are some types of arthritis that come on suddenly. Maybe you want to think about checking out what''s going on with your hands -- unless you already know.

Don''t mean to be negative but my best friend had a sudden onset of arthritis.
7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results