shape
carat
color
clarity

I am so APPALLED by a B&M store!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GoodSoul

Brilliant_Rock
I cannot believed what the sales lady just told me over the phone.

Someone referred me to this store and I emailed to them explaining what I was looking for. She emailed back within hours and gave me a few stones and the general stats. None of it was a 100% match of what I was looking for which is fine since I am open to slight variations. She also asked me to pop by the store to see if I am comfortable working with her although she has nothing to show me as most of the stones are in the NY office which she can overnight if I am interested. I emailed her back asking if I can have the certs info so that I can get the crown and pavilion angle before she gets it shipped (coz I don''t want to waste her money and time if the cut isn''t good).

I popped by yesterday and the shop was dark as someone was fixing her electrical stuff. She had stored all of her stones away since the alarm was not on. She was very friendly but flustered as there are other clients, phone was ringing and she was there by herself. She told me to follow-up with an email and before I went, she asked me for my budget (ard $15K).

Once I got back into the office, I emailed her with the specs again (1.3-1.4 E/VS2 with Triple Excellent, no fluorescence)and requested her to give me the detail stats also.

I called her today to see if she received the email. She started off by saying that if I am comfortable to do business with her, she will give me the best price. (repeated at least 4 times in the conversation) She then went on to say about what I am looking for is a very popular size/specs and it''ll sell easily. So once she finds it she has to grab it and buy it before it''s gone and if I am comfortable with her, she''ll give me the best price.
32.gif
???? I told her that it''s good to know she will give me the best price but the stone needs to meet my requirements as well. She then said that''s a lot of "work" for her since I am so particular about the "stats" and in addition, she doesn''t have it in-house and need to get it from other sources and if I am just shopping, then go and shop somewhere else and she will match the price. She said that the specs that I want will sell very easily without the "works" (as in sending me the stats???) and she has too many projects on hand and this is just too much "work" for her. She added that she does not give certs to people they have not done business before.

I was shocked!!!! How on earth do they get new customer??!! What kind of customer service is this?

I was referred by someone who bought a VERY NICE 2.5 carat from her and she did search high and low for her. My friend is particular too but she fell in love with that stone after seeing it. It is a VERY nice stone I''ve to say (at least under the bridal shop and restaurant lights and I didn''t view it close). I am sure that my friend wasn''t as particular as me (all thanks to the education I get at Pricescope ;-) ) When I was there, someone called in to ask about a carat size G/H/I color and she was nice but he didn''t ask for the certs/stats.

It''s true that this size/specs are hard to find since I''ve emailed/talked to a few vendors (incl GOG & WF) and all of them are beyond nice. Obviously she cannot handle potential customers who do not just do business base on comfort level!!

Sorry for the long vent.. URGH!!!!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, in her defense, those specifications are going to be very very hard to find! But I have nothing else to say in her defense, sounds like you should take your business elsewhere...

dbsdiamonds

Shiny_Rock
They can''t, or more better put, "won''t" compete. She realized you are an educated shopper and any revelation of facts on her end would just discredit where she was. Too bad your friend got smoked there...

They must feast on the uneducated to make their quotas.

Marty
CEO/Pres
Diamond Brokerage Service Inc
www.dbsdiamonds.com

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/17/2008 9:42:37 PM
Author: dbsdiamonds
They can''t, or more better put, ''won''t'' compete. She realized you are an educated shopper and any revelation of facts on her end would just discredit where she was. Too bad your friend got smoked there...

They must feast on the uneducated to make their quotas.

Marty
CEO/Pres
Diamond Brokerage Service Inc
www.dbsdiamonds.com
dbs, I don''t understand this comment - the OP said her friend got a very nice stone from there - she didn''t tell us a price or anything else, how do you deduct she got "smoked"??
33.gif

GoodSoul, I can understand your frustration. I''m not sure where you live, but (in my experience) the majority of B&M stores just plain aren''t up to speed on cut data, certs etc.
You will find in that sense, the reputable online vendors are alot more transparent.
"I''ll give you the best price" just sounds like good ol'' sales jargon - ok for most people, but not once you have started to really educate yourself.
Have you considered using the PS - recommended online vendors? You could potentially save yourself alot of time wasted, and potentially some $$ too.

Let us know if you''d like any more assistance
1.gif

GoodSoul

Brilliant_Rock
Neatfreak - I agree that the specs are hard to find and therefore were open to similar stones which she did email me initially but refused to provide further info as she does not provide reports to folks whom have not done business before ... which I find it strange. I did thank her for time and will take my business somewhere else.

BTW, I checked out Elley and may be booking her for my wedding!! Love your wedding pixs!!!
1.gif

arjunajane/dbsdiamonds - I am not sure if my friend got smoked but she fell in love with it at first sight which is great! I think sometimes ignorance is bliss.. but I can't go back to my pre-pricescope days anymore!!

arjunajane - I actually approached the online vendors first and went to B&M only to cast my net wider. I am working Katie from WF and was waiting patiently for her new ACA stock but unfortunately there is none that meet the specs. She did pull up something that's not in-house. BTW, Katie did say that the specs is hard to find and will send things my way if she chanced across it and I really appreciate that alot. Thanks for your offer to help and will take you up on that in my new thread on the stone options (once I get the Idealscope image).

Thanks!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Here is one that's pretty close to your specs and under your budget. You might not see the difference between an E and an F when set. Did you discount this one because of the color?

1.36ct F from GOG

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I truly understand your frustration, Goodsoul.

It is clear that many B&M''s do not realize how increasingly important a good relationship is with a supplier that co-operates with them. In her case, it is true that her suppliers possibly are very reluctant in delivering the basic information that an average Pricescoper needs, especially if this is in a popular size-range and if they do not see a sale transpiring quickly. Even worse, she might not be a top-seller for her suppliers, and they might be reserving these sizes for their top-selling stores only.

Live long,

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/17/2008 11:13:42 PM
Author: swingirl
Here is one that''s pretty close to your specs and under your budget. You might not see the difference between an E and an F when set. Did you discount this one because of the color?

1.36ct F from GOG
Great stone swingril !
1.gif

I second the suggestion of looking at GOG too - have you let Jon know what you''re after GoodSoul?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yeah, it’s a bit of work. So? Yes, it’s a popular set of specs. So? You’re asking for nothing that you can’t do with her competitors directly yourself in 30 seconds or less (check out the utility at the top of the page called ‘Pricescope your diamond’). I find hundreds of different stones being offered by a dozen or so dealers with just that simple search. The hardest part here is that your specs are so broad that there are TOO MANY stones available and it’s hard to pick which one.

I agree with Paul, the problem here is probably with her supply chain but, more generally with her business model. She apparently doesn’t sell the kind of goods that you’re looking for and she apparently doesn’t want to sell to ‘picky’ clientele. Fine. Move on. Not every store is a match for every customer and there are a lot of jewelers out there who will be thrilled to earn your business. This is a big deal purchase, what you want is readily available and you are being entirely reasonable to want sufficient information to make an informed decision.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's unfortunate that this lady put you off. Maybe your friends who purchased the 2.5 carat put themselves entirely in her hands with few requirements? For that matter - and I think this is an unwise business practice - a 2.5 carat sale might have been worth more time to her.

Some jewelers are still put off by the "internet customer" stereotype. We have heard this term at our trade shows for some years - loosely used to describe shoppers who come into a B&M store with a printout of internet diamonds, comparing prices and demanding specific measurements. Through no fault of anyone in particular, some jewelers are petrified by this kind of client. Why? They might not have such goods, they might not want to invest the time for someone (they consider) high maintenance, or the reason might be much more fundamental; they're intimidated by clients who come in armed with knowledge.

In my opinion the "internet customer" (I use it affectionately) has broken the conventional model of a client who comes in knowing little and basically puts themselves in the jeweler's hands. Many in the trade were trained by the last generation and operate in that comfort zone... Of course some sellers at the top have come to realize many "internet shoppers" can be won over if they have current knowledge, a willingness to converse and the ability to source specific goods.

I think she lost a valuable client in you (especially because she lost out on receiving a glowing review here), but it may be a number of external factors which caused it - none of which surfaced from ill intent.

frostbyte3964

Rough_Rock
I could help you find it if you are comfortable with me and I''ll get you a good deal, but it will take me all of 2 minutes to find it with blue nile''s search engine. 1.4 for $15k E VS262.8% 57% no florescence, triple ex. I don''t think it''s hard at all and I''m just a beginner looking for my own rings. A store owner should jump at a chance at helping a $15k purchase and act more professional. People in your budget are usually more concerned about getting exactly what they want instead of the absolute best deal around. A couple hundred more for the right service is probably OK, but she couldn''t give you either. I''d run to someone else.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m glad it worked out for your friend, but the stars are not lining up for you to work with this person - "run - don''t walk!"

GoodSoul

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all your comments and feedback.

I felt bad yesterday because it's the first time that I'm shopping for such a big ticket item and I spent alot of time educating myself and even bought an idealscope! To be rejected because I was asking for more info just didn't sit too well. I am sure that there was no ill-intent on her part and understand that she could spend less time to close similar or bigger deal. I am over it now.

I did check out GOG actually.. but can't remember why I ruled out that specific stone. I think it has to do with the hearts image where the cleft split looks long Pricescope H&A Tutorial. Any thoughts?

I probably need to not take every thing I read to heart... if not, I'll probably not ever find a stone!
23.gif
I'll revisit GOG and BN options again.

Thanks again!

HariSeldon

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 2:04:02 PM
Author: GoodSoul
Thanks for all your comments and feedback.

I felt bad yesterday because it''s the first time that I''m shopping for such a big ticket item and I spent alot of time educating myself and even bought an idealscope! To be rejected because I was asking for more info just didn''t sit too well. I am sure that there was no ill-intent on her part and understand that she could spend less time to close similar or bigger deal. I am over it now.

I did check out GOG actually.. but can''t remember why I ruled out that specific stone. I think it has to do with the hearts image where the cleft split looks long Pricescope H&A Tutorial. Any thoughts?

I probably need to not take every thing I read to heart... if not, I''ll probably not ever find a stone!
23.gif
I''ll revisit GOG and BN options again.

Thanks again!
uh oh. you just opened a can of worms!

GoodSoul

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 2:06:49 PM
Author: HariSeldon

I did check out GOG actually.. but can't remember why I ruled out that specific stone. I think it has to do with the hearts image where the cleft split looks long Pricescope H&A Tutorial. Any thoughts?

Oh NOooo!!! I didn't mean to. Sorry folks!! I didn't search for any past threads on the cleft split and just take it (the tutorial) as is. I will research more on this.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade

...I did check out GOG actually.. but can't remember why I ruled out that specific stone. I think it has to do with the hearts image where the cleft split looks long Pricescope H&A Tutorial. Any thoughts?...
Yes. Don't rule it out based on split clefts. The diamond may not conform to the traditional (read that as original Japanese) appearance of hearts patterns, but its light performance may still be tops.

At the risk of reviving Frankenstein's monster (Igor?) the first 4 posts on this page are meant to explain how shorter or longer lower halves are what influence whether the pavilion pattern conforms to the traditional "hearts" pattern. Yes or no, it's the overall configuration of the diamond that determines its beauty.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/18/2008 2:06:49 PM
Author: HariSeldon

Ahh. I wondered what that smell was.

GoodSoul

Brilliant_Rock
I just realized that I messed up my response to HariSeldon's post. Sorry.

John,
Thanks for your response. I just took the tutorial as is without further research. My bad. Will read up more on this. Thanks!

I will email GOG again.

HariSeldon

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 2:17:37 PM
Author: John Pollard

...I did check out GOG actually.. but can''t remember why I ruled out that specific stone. I think it has to do with the hearts image where the cleft split looks long Pricescope H&A Tutorial. Any thoughts?...
Yes. Don''t rule it out based on split clefts. The diamond may not conform to the traditional (read that as original Japanese) appearance of hearts patterns, but its light performance may still be tops.

At the risk of reviving Frankenstein''s monster (Igor?) the first 4 posts on this page are meant to explain how shorter or longer lower halves are what influence whether the pavilion pattern conforms to the traditional ''hearts'' pattern. Yes or no, it''s the overall configuration of the diamond that determines its beauty.
i was just looking for that monster!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results