shape
carat
color
clarity

I am almost ready to give up

Cricketcat

Shiny_Rock
Okay. So, I bought a Brian Gavin signature hearts and arrows diamond a couple months ago. Had it set with a chain type of store. Ended up that time with a crooked diamond, and then a diamond that was unsecured (3 out of 6 prongs were bad). Tired of the endless problems with chain type stores, even with all their warranties and my own insurance, I decided to go a different route. I was in process of getting ready to send my diamond back to Brian Gavin to be set in a basic plain platinum setting. I had gone to the post office to find out what I needed to do to send my diamond registered/insured. The post office was pushing some other kind of delivery service and giving me a hard time about registered/insured mail. Brian Gavin suggested I go to a particular store for ring sizing. I did that and in the process I thought I would check on no more than 2 local jewelry stores that had been around a long time, and were higher end. I went into the first one, found the platinum settings. There was only one solitaire setting and it was my size. It fit perfectly! I cancelled my order with Brian Gavin and purchased the one locally. The local setting was a basic cathedral setting. I hadn't seen one quite like it because it wasn't totally round on the inside of the ring - where the diamond would be set, the metal jutted upwards in a curve so the diamond would set even higher. That didn't bother me. I had only asked that when the diamond was set, that it be set as low as possible in the crown. On my paperwork it says, ""mount diamond in plat mounting as low as possible (make sure laser number shows between prongs). When I picked my ring up today, the first thing the gal told me, was "I had the jeweler cut out that part (the curve) and put a straight piece of metal there so the diamond would set as low as possible." I never asked for ring itself to be modified in any way. She went on to say , "It now looks more like the one you bought it with your diamond." (That was the setting I was looking to replace.) Now, that statement is true. It does look like the one I brought in, but I didn't ask for any modifications on the one I bought. I only asked for the diamond to be set as low as possible in the crown because I have a preference for not having the diamond look like it's suspended in air in the prongs (and that's what I told the gal). Not sure whether to just let it go. Kind of bothers me though that they wouldn't discuss that with me first, and then where the metal of the cathedral comes up on both sides of the crown setting, the metal of the cathedral part is almost the height of the top of the set diamond. The diamond is .70 carat. Not sure if I should just leave it, or ask for a reset with a crown with a taller base to the crown. Maybe the diamond looks best how they did it and they thought it would look best that way, bummed that they didn't tell me they were going to physically alter the ring itself. I was really looking forward to a ring that was just right without any "alterations." Do you think a .70 diamond looks best set that low and that is maybe why they did that?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think diamonds look best set at a medium height. Too high makes them at risk for hitting on things and too low makes them look smaller to me and may cause the wedding band to scratch prongs.

My advice is to almost always have the diamond vendor set the diamond unless they just do not have the style you want. BG would have set it at the right height, and they have several lovely solitaires.

I think you should take this setting back and ask for your money back. They were only doing what you asked, but what you asked probably was not possible without modification as the height was already determined for that particular setting. It was lack of communication, but ultimately the ring was not what you thought you were buying. Then send the stone back to BG and have it set right!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Omg. I would seriously say "I did not ask for that modification. I am not accepting this nor will I pay for it. Either please do it how it was requested--the only "modification" being set it low and with the inscription visible or remove my stone from this mounting and issue a refund/I am not paying. But at this point, you might be better off going back to BGD. I feel your pain, like, more than you can ever know.

Me personally, I don't think anything looks good set low. I think it makes stones look dark and small.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ame|1413498640|3768205 said:
Omg. I would seriously say "I did not ask for that modification. I am not accepting this nor will I pay for it. Either please do it how it was requested--the only "modification" being set it low and with the inscription visible or remove my stone from this mounting and issue a refund/I am not paying. But at this point, you might be better off going back to BGD. I feel your pain, like, more than you can ever know.
yup.

Cricketcat

Shiny_Rock
So, I plan on going back to talk to them tomorrow. I've been bothered all day that my ring was cut and pieced with something I didn't ask for or know was going to happen. The ring itself is pretty substantial, except of course for the piece they replaced. It is thinner than what was originally there and is thinner than the rest of the shank even though it's at the top part. So, I'm asking you experts, not sure what they'll be willing to do, but if they want to cut the piece out and put the other piece back in, should I accept that, or do I insist for another ring? If they say they'll do another ring, do I hang on to the one I have until the other is done to make sure I in fact get a new one ? They do manufacturing, and I'm pretty certain this ring is one they manufactured there, so I'm not sure if it's the kind of thing that is made as one whole unit or if it's pieced in any way. I tend to think it was made as one piece as you can see a change in thickness now. It's a basic cathedral setting, the oddity was that curvature where the diamond would set slightly higher and that was only noticeable from the side view. All your thoughts are much appreciated.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cricketcat|1413501812|3768233 said:
So, I plan on going back to talk to them tomorrow. I've been bothered all day that my ring was cut and pieced with something I didn't ask for or know was going to happen. The ring itself is pretty substantial, except of course for the piece they replaced. It is thinner than what was originally there and is thinner than the rest of the shank even though it's at the top part. So, I'm asking you experts, not sure what they'll be willing to do, but if they want to cut the piece out and put the other piece back in, should I accept that, or do I insist for another ring? If they say they'll do another ring, do I hang on to the one I have until the other is done to make sure I in fact get a new one ? They do manufacturing, and I'm pretty certain this ring is one they manufactured there, so I'm not sure if it's the kind of thing that is made as one whole unit or if it's pieced in any way. I tend to think it was made as one piece as you can see a change in thickness now. It's a basic cathedral setting, the oddity was that curvature where the diamond would set slightly higher and that was only noticeable from the side view. All your thoughts are much appreciated.
Insist on a replacement or on your stone and a refund and go elsewhere. This one cannot be pieced back together.

Pandabear90

Rough_Rock
Bad Customer Service on their part...couldn't they took the 2 minutes to call you and check with you first if that would be something you'd want to do before actually making that modification on the ring...

I don't understand people sometimes.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ame|1413508295|3768285 said:
Insist on a replacement or on your stone and a refund and go elsewhere. This one cannot be pieced back together.

This.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like the setting a lot, get a replacement (without any modifications) or get a full refund and send it to BGD to get it set right.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
I don't have any advise to offer, as I'm not an expert in any of this. I just wanted to stop by and say that I so feel for you, because I'm going through something similar with a chain store...It is repulsive to me that they think they can do what they want and not even contact the customer. You are the one that has to wear this jeweler, not them. Nothing should be changed without your knowledge. Nothing.

Cricketcat

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for all the comments/suggestions/support. I slept maybe two hours. Called my credit card company during the middle of the night to see if things can't get resolved with the jeweler if they could do anything. They said that they can get involved (chargeback). So, I have that if things don't work out but what a pain to deal with. I'm not really sure what to do. Ask for money back outright or a redo? In my experience, if things aren't done right the first time, you don't get them right. Even if the jeweler agrees to redo the ring, I'm concerned they'll cut corners somewhere, such as on the weight of the ring or it won't be exactly the same. I never in all my life thought that the person working out front dealing with the customers would ever make a decision to have the actual physical structure of the ring altered in any way without getting permission to do so from the person who agreed to purchase it as is! Two more hours, and I'll be able to go talk to them.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
You just said exactly what I've been saying for months. It is unacceptable the way these places are doing business. Do they not understand the value of this jewelry? I've have said repeatedly to them, this is NOT costume jewelry. This is my wedding jewelry, and even though I call it my ER, this is, in truth the ring I was married with! for me the band came almost a year later.

From what I have gone through the last months, I would say this, get your money back and run, far, far away from them. If you can afford to have BG do it, then go that wrote, then you at least know that it will be handled properly until you are happy with it. I think part of the issues is after these types of stores have messed up something, everything after that is a money loss for them. Starting over for you is a loss for them, having them just try to fix something they messed up is a money loss, and since they didn't really care to begin with, they certainly don't care now that they are not getting paid for their time.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have nothing to add in terms of advice since those mentioned above are good. Why would they change out the crown to resemble the old one which you want to replace? You must have love the new design that was why you bought that setting. What were they thinking? I don't understand some people's logic sometimes.

Cricketcat

Shiny_Rock
I went in this morning, and they were not honest with me. There's only like I think a handful of people that work there. When I told the gal and who I think may be the owner the issues I needed to discuss, they just denied that it happened and told me the ring was like that all along. I looked at the gal and said, "the first thing you told me yesterday is that you had the jeweler cut this part and replace it with this, and you showed it to me." She said she didn't say that and then later on the guy (who I think is the owner) said he heard her say that but said she misspoke. I was like why didn't you correct her then. He didn't. It was OBVIOUS to me they had cut a piece out and replaced it with a very flat/thin piece. My only regret is not snapping a picture on my cell phone when I purchased the setting. The curve in the shank where the diamond would sit up a bit (not sure how to describe it) was the first thing you noticed when looking at the roundness of the shank, and to tell me it never existed is beyond I don't know what. I even had to take a minute to think about it when I first saw it as I had never seen anything like that, but thought it unique and completely okay as the ring was ready to go except for the setting of the diamond in crown. The gal would occasionally say things to me like, "I think I know what you're talking about", but then when the guy was around, it was flat out denial. She told me they'd work with me. I asked her what that meant. They're not going to give me money back, I can tell by their demeanor and my questions (unless I can get a chargeback through credit card but that could be difficult because they're not going to fess up to anything). She told me she'd call me Monday, to give her some time to do research (Not sure what that means). I told her I would only take a setting from them that had not been cut/altered is simple/uniform so there couldn't be hopefully any altering. I know I am on the paranoid side now. I stopped by a custom jeweler on the way home. He looked at it and said, "Ya, it's been worked on and on top of it, they thinned it out. It's not uniform with the ring."

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
Has the charge actually gone through on your credit card? If not, there would be no need for a charge back, you can just dispute it which would put it in limbo until it's resolved and they wouldn't get their money. A charge back should only be necessary if the store has already received their money.

Cricketcat

Shiny_Rock
As of today, only $500.00 is on the card, but probably tonight the other $800.00 plus will post. I've talked to my credit card company twice today. They told me to go in and talk to the jeweler, and to note everything, and if anything can't be worked out to then pursue a chargeback. Makes me sick, and not sure if anything would happen with the chargeback as they are in complete denial. But if I have to I will do that so at least I tried. I've seen a lot if my life. I've seen people give a lot of excuses, but I've never seen what I saw today.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
If you are suspicious at all that they are not going to do what you want to satisfy you, I would call the credit card and have them do whatever they need to do now, before more charges are applied to your card. This, is exactly why credit card companies have the ability to do these things. (even though I think they are really out to make money) some of the safe guards that they provide can be really, really helpful in cases like this.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Take photos today, LOTS of detailed macro images, and take notes and names. In fact, if you can record all conversations I would be. I wouldn't give them til Monday to do anything except a refund.

Cricketcat

Shiny_Rock
I want to post some pictures, but the only way I know to do it is to print from my e-mail, then scan, so it lets me post. Anyway, there is one that I blew up on my screen, and I think I can see where the ring shank was cut by both cathedral things (the triangles), because there's a bit of thickness that juts out on the edges, and then you look below and you can see the thin shank replacement.

Cricketcat

Shiny_Rock
Good News! The jewelry store just called a few minutes ago. They found a picture of the ring, and yes, the shank where the diamond sits is as I thought/described. They said they could redo the ring (it is one of theirs), or a plain, simple, uniform band. This has just been causing all kinds of stress for about the last 36 hours. So happy!

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, they are very honest if they went to look for its photo before it was worked on. :appl:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I'm glad they are picking the right path. They probably decided that flat out lying to you was not going to work to their benefit in the long run.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results