shape
carat
color
clarity

HW by Mark T - dedicated to pricescope members

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aussienovice

Rough_Rock
Hi all. I''ve been searching for the perfect ring since early October 09, cheating the typical ways of course, paying attention to the styles of rings my GF pays attention to in stores, on TV shows (the Hills, Batchelor etc) and in magazines. HW''s gorgeous Cushion Halo seemed to be the style that got the most attention most consistently, but after pricing a genuine HW, it was back to the drawing board.

I had never heard of PS, but after talking to a number of local jewelers (I''m in Sydney Australia), I wasn''t sure any of them could do a version that I would be happy with. Then, turning to the internet, my eyes were opened, RAPIDLY. Pricescope, ChunkyCushionLover, Pushincushion, Mark Turnowski, 2ndtime, Winnie, Fatguy, (and many, many others) all became very familiar to me. So much knowledge and so much passion and inspiration all in the one place, it was only a matter of time before I found the perfect ring. Then it happened, I came across ddcha''s Rockytalk thread https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/another-mark-t-cushion-masterpiece-in-the-works-advice-welcome.111929/, and that was the end of it. All I had to do was to determine if Mark could find me a suitable diamond and make me that ring, within my budget (come to think of it, that''s a horrible word when you use it wrt the most romantic purchase of one''s life, and I must admit it was fluid concept anyway as it turned out
19.gif
).

Now, 2.28ct H VVS2 was always going to be out of my price range (particularly due to having to pay in Aussie dollars, extra for international wiring then an additional 15% duty to get it into the country), but if I could get something that closely resembled Dianna''s ring for my GF that didn''t look like an obviously "scaled down to a budget" design then that''s what I wanted.

The rest (so far at least) has been a very exciting and painless process, from my first conversion with Mark on 12 Jan, until yesterday when he emailed me with the "your beautiful ring is ready" message. Amazing how fast it has been when I look at the elapsed days, but I must say that even those short three weeks have seemed like an eternity given my excitement of finally deciding what I wanted and Mark being able to convince me that he can do it within my budget.

So, I have wired the final payment and it''s simply a matter of waiting till Mark receives the funds and sends it via Fedex to me. Should get it either late this week or (more likely) early next week. In the meantime, the following are the highlights of my short journey with Mark so far.

aussienovice

Rough_Rock
So that''s it for now. Mark has said he will try to take some photos before he leaves tonight and send them through, but he may have to leave early (from my experience, that means anything earlier that 9-10pm New York time). Man he works long hours.

If/when he does, I will post them. Happy to answer any questions, but also keen to get your thoughts. I know that it may offend some people (hopefully not ddcha) that I so blantantly copied his and Mark''s work of art from mid last year, but hopefully most will simply see it as a complement. I think the saying goes, ''imitation is the sincerest form of flattery''. That''s how I see it at least. I still go back to those threads regularly to admire that ring. Very soon I will have a very real version on my GF''s, soon to be fiance''s (love that word) finger to admire any time I like, and hopefully she feels the same way.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! I love your stone.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a STUNNING stone! If it were me, I would be happy someone liked my piece enough to copy. I can''t wait to see the real piccies!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

aussienovice

Rough_Rock
Very nice to hear you say that Laila619. I must admit, if it wasn''t for Mark''s reputation I would have passed on the diamond (in typical novice fashion). It seems to have some "extreme" dimensions/figures and I guess paying that much for a diamond you really don''t want to make a mistake. It has a 50% table smaller than just about any I have seen, slightly large culet, very thin to extremely thick girdle, but Mark said it would suit this setting really well.

wsblue430

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely Stunning!!! Its an amazing size, shape, and gorgeous setting! You must post pics when you get the ring and on her finger!!!
36.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
36.gif

Looks beautiful!! Can''t wait to see more pics - congrats!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your purchase. I can''t wait to see the finished product!

Lestat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/2/2010 6:20:03 PM
Author:aussienovice
Now, 2.28ct H VVS2 was always going to be out of my price range (particularly due to having to pay in Aussie dollars, extra for international wiring then an additional 15% duty to get it into the country), but if I could get something that closely resembled Dianna's ring for my GF that didn't look like an obviously 'scaled down to a budget' design then that's what I wanted.

Here's a thread that may be of interest to you (no pun intended), if you haven't had the ring shipped yet, follow the process and you'll get it duty free, if you've already had it shipped and it's in your hands, you can still claim back duty that was charged up to 4 years back
21.gif

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/custom-ring-ausfta.130164/

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2010 6:37:51 PM
Author: aussienovice
So that's it for now. Mark has said he will try to take some photos before he leaves tonight and send them through, but he may have to leave early (from my experience, that means anything earlier that 9-10pm New York time). Man he works long hours.

If/when he does, I will post them. Happy to answer any questions, but also keen to get your thoughts. I know that it may offend some people (hopefully not ddcha) that I so blantantly copied his and Mark's work of art from mid last year, but hopefully most will simply see it as a complement. I think the saying goes, 'imitation is the sincerest form of flattery'. That's how I see it at least. I still go back to those threads regularly to admire that ring. Very soon I will have a very real version on my GF's, soon to be fiance's (love that word) finger to admire any time I like, and hopefully she feels the same way.
You really didn't copy DDcha's ring at all, yours is a chunky faceted rectangular cushion. His was a very square modern 8 main cushion. The setting is the same though, I look forward to seeing how it turned out, we also had Mark design a HW micropave ring, CADs look nice.

aussienovice

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/2/2010 8:39:01 PM
Author: ChunkyCushionLover

So that''s it for now. Mark has said he will try to take some photos before he leaves tonight and send them through, but he may have to leave early (from my experience, that means anything earlier that 9-10pm New York time). Man he works long hours.

If/when he does, I will post them. Happy to answer any questions, but also keen to get your thoughts. I know that it may offend some people (hopefully not ddcha) that I so blantantly copied his and Mark''s work of art from mid last year, but hopefully most will simply see it as a complement. I think the saying goes, ''imitation is the sincerest form of flattery''. That''s how I see it at least. I still go back to those threads regularly to admire that ring. Very soon I will have a very real version on my GF''s, soon to be fiance''s (love that word) finger to admire any time I like, and hopefully she feels the same way.
You really didn''t copy DDcha''s ring at all, yours is a chunky faceted rectangular cushion. His was a very square modern 8 main cushion. The setting is the same though, I look forward to seeing how it turned out, we also had Mark design a HW micropave ring, CADs look nice.
Good points CCL. I feel much less "guilty" now ;-) Thanks. I do remember some of your posts when you were choosing your diamond, but don''t remember seeing the final product. Did I miss it?

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2010 9:10:07 PM

Date: 2/2/2010 8:39:01 PM
Author: ChunkyCushionLover

You really didn''t copy DDcha''s ring at all, yours is a chunky faceted rectangular cushion. His was a very square modern 8 main cushion. The setting is the same though, I look forward to seeing how it turned out, we also had Mark design a HW micropave ring, CADs look nice.
Good points CCL. I feel much less ''guilty'' now ;-) Thanks. I do remember some of your posts when you were choosing your diamond, but don''t remember seeing the final product. Did I miss it?
Nope my Wife won''t let me post it yet. I hope once she sees the professional photographs of all of our rings together she will let me post one, many people have asked already.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely to hear your happy story, aussienovice - I am another Aussie novice (as is my partner!) who has benefited from ERD''s expertise! We didn''t work with Mark, but Dan sourced our stone for us and we couldn''t be more delighted :)

aussienovice

Rough_Rock
Well, here are the photos Mark sent me today. What do you think? I spoke to Mark about how high the cushion seems to sit (due to the high crown shape that comes with the chunky, old mine cut I suppose. He said that he will set it a bit lower and send some more photos before I "lock it in".

aussienovicereal1a.jpg

aussienovice

Rough_Rock
Last one. This is the one that concerned me, but I am not sure if i am overreacting to a bad photo, or whether my soon to be fiance will not like it. That would, after all, be disasterous...

As I mentioned above, I have asked Mark to try to take a better photo from the side (as the focus may be a large part of my concern). He has also offered to drop the cushion a little and take soime more photos. I would love to hear your honest opinions on how it looks now and and suggestions you may have.

aussienovicereal2a.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I would leave it alone! That stone has a beautiful high crown and it shouldn''t be hidden! That picture just isn''t clear enough to make any judgements about changing it. I''d trust Mark''s opinion on it. It is a gorgeous ring!
36.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
altho i love the high crown, i''d probably drop it down a smidge; to me it looks like the girdle is sitting slightly above/out of the setting and the overall look might be better if it looks like it''s sitting a little more securely. i think the overall effect of dropping it down would be to give a smoother line from setting - up over stone - back to setting.

as with all comments - just my 2c - gorgeous ring...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results