shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you do a 5 stone with a pear center?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For those of you who have followed some of my threads DONT WORRY I am not changing anything in the immediate future. But i was looking at some 5 stone rings today and I was intrigued. I think the pear gives me vertical coverage and the addition of side stones would quench my thirst for more diagonal coverage as well as different types of diamonds (ie crushed ice, step cut, etc). Also, I wanted something different, and although the pear is very unique, a halo is very common "round these parts"... Being that I wouldnt even consider changing my setting until next year, there isnt any real danger of me jumping into anything. but I have yet to see one 5 stone with a pear center, and when I see pear three stones its only with other pears (with the exception of that pear on here with hexagonal side stones). If in the future I was to consider a 5 stone, how exactly would that be done with a pear center?
would it be bullets then half moons then pear?
bullets then trillions then pear?
bullets then trapazoid then pear?
pears half moons pear?

what about those weird trillions that are chubby so kind of in between hexagons and a half moon?

OR am I leaving out the possibly that there just arent any because that is an ugly idea?

Also, this was my primary question, but to go along with it, if I wanted it in rose gold, could i do the shank in rose gold but the prongs in platinum, or would the fact that a 5 stone has SO MUCH prong/head percentage mean that it would look weird, almost like a two tone ring?

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Hi Nielseel!

I totally understand where you are coming from. I'm going to make what may seem a strange suggestion and say graduated rounds. I can't download the photo (it's protected) but I'll link to it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmdjewelrygallery/5474606210/

The reason I say this is because I know in your previous thread you were concerned about the sparkle factor in the pear. I would caution that with the other types of stones you are considering (bullets, trillions, etc) you are still going to have the same performance issues I think. You may solve the horizontal coverage issue, but not perhaps the sparkle factor and so I think you may in the end, still find yourself "hunting". Maybe rounds wouldn't be as snazzy from a design point, but I think graduated rounds make the prettiest 5 stones and it would surely solve some of the performance issues you have had. That's just my .02. Hope it helps! I do think a 5 stone with pear could be very pretty.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love pear shaped diamonds. My thoughts on a 5 stone might be 2 rounds on each side or a round then E-W baguettes. What a fun project to ponder.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bastetcat|1355010534|3326476 said:
Hi Nielseel!

I totally understand where you are coming from. I'm going to make what may seem a strange suggestion and say graduated rounds. I can't download the photo (it's protected) but I'll link to it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmdjewelrygallery/5474606210/

The reason I say this is because I know in your previous thread you were concerned about the sparkle factor in the pear. I would caution that with the other types of stones you are considering (bullets, trillions, etc) you are still going to have the same performance issues I think. You may solve the horizontal coverage issue, but not perhaps the sparkle factor and so I think you may in the end, still find yourself "hunting". Maybe rounds wouldn't be as snazzy from a design point, but I think graduated rounds make the prettiest 5 stones and it would surely solve some of the performance issues you have had. That's just my .02. Hope it helps! I do think a 5 stone with pear could be very pretty.

Thank you for your thoughts. I would consider rounds, but the reason I was ignoring them was because I didnt want side stones that overshadow my center, you know?

i like the idea or tapered baguettes, though i like bullets a tad better. But my concern for BOTH of those is combining styles of cut. A pear half moon pear allows for them all to have that same crushed ice look, where bullets and trapezoids would contrast the pear look. Im not sure which, if any, are more desirable. And if you had 3 pears on a 5 stone, does it make TOO MANY pears?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
here are a few examples
DBL
r3867ra.jpg
LM
r5336_4f54c7565ecdb.jpg
r5727_50bd376bc0d7e.jpg

I know Leon is good with picking out sides but i really would not want to go hand forged for something like this. Id want to keep it at a cad/cast price.

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Now you've done it! I have to go back to LM's website and drool over his five stones AGAIN... I thought I could go a whole week without it but I guess not after all. :razz:

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would not keep spending money resetting your stone. Get a whole different ring that is exactly what you want.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1355019244|3326566 said:
I would not keep spending money resetting your stone. Get a whole different ring that is exactly what you want.

I dont want to get rid of my pear. And I also dont want to reset it right now anyways. But I know I will not want it in a halo forever.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some of those ideas just aren't going to work with a pear center because of the sides tapering. I think with a pear, you need rounded stones, and that means a 3 stone with pear sides, which I think is very pretty, or graduated rounds.

But I have to say with all honesty, I am not sure that resetting again is going to solve the root issue here. If you take away the halo, the stone is going to look really small to you again, and then you will still have the performance issues that bother you. Adding more stones just won't solve it, in my opinion. I really wouldn't spend another penny on settings for this diamond unless you decide later to make it into a pendant. I'd start saving and eventually get another e-ring and use this one for a right hand ring or a pendant.

(I pressed send and see that Dreamer beat me to it, but I am posting because I wrote this before seeing her post.)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1355019702|3326572 said:
Some of those ideas just aren't going to work with a pear center because of the sides tapering. I think with a pear, you need rounded stones, and that means a 3 stone with pear sides, which I think is very pretty, or graduated rounds.

But I have to say with all honesty, I am not sure that resetting again is going to solve the root issue here. If you take away the halo, the stone is going to look really small to you again, and then you will still have the performance issues that bother you. Adding more stones just won't solve it, in my opinion. I really wouldn't spend another penny on settings for this diamond unless you decide later to make it into a pendant. I'd start saving and eventually get another e-ring and use this one for a right hand ring or a pendant.

(I pressed send and see that Dreamer beat me to it, but I am posting because I wrote this before seeing her post.)

The tapering I understand, which is why i dont know if they make "rounded trillions" or something like that."

But I understand I have been wishy-washy on this issue so I want to be clear. I had a misconception as to how diamonds sparkle in every day light. After lowering my expectations on diamonds in general, I am no longer disappointing in my pear's performance. It isnt as sparkly as a round, but it is not a slouch and i would not trade it FOR a round. I am very content with trading performance for shape in this case. The reason i would consider a 5 stone is because it would provide horizontal coverage. I am more than content with the pear's vertical performance. In fact i am sure I would be content with the 8.5mm length of my pear without the halo. I halo'd it because of the width. Which is why adding more stones to the side of it would salve that problem. And I am not spending money on this. I am not spending anymore money on this at all for at least a year. But I want to be able to allocate my finances. Because if I leave it as is the funds would go toward looking for a diamond wedding band and a plain shank band for a little stack, or I would forgo that and wait for the reset.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand. I think saving and just waiting is the best idea. I know it is easier said than done, and I am not the best example because I have made decisions too soon and it can be costly. I'd wait until you see an example of a 5 stone with a pear that you absolutely adore before you even let yourself consider it. You need to see one to be 100% sure it is what you want. I am pretty sure the graduated side rounds will go the best, though.

Blue Nile doesn't really have a setting I'd want for that project, but their simulations of stone in settings might be a little helpful to you.

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-diamond-ring?action=add&forceStep=STYLE_STEP&pid=LD02913203

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1355019244|3326566 said:

Honestly, I agree!

But if you're sure you are happy with your stone, the finger coverage of a 3 or 5 stone is great! I think a pear 3 stone with side pears is the best bet. I can't envision any other combinations.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like my original post said, dont worry :)) lol
Im not spending money. But I like the finger coverage concept of a 5 stone so i was looking into it, and I didnt see any. So I was just hoping for a dialog about it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was just thinking. I don't know why a 5 stone pear would be much different than a round or a cushion. Sure it tapers but as long as you kept the stones at the top fat part of the pear, it shouldn't be any different than setting a smaller round.... Hmmmm

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is true, and rounds and pears are probably the two most common sides to go with a round!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I adore a pear with pear sides. Gorgeous! And if you got chubby pear sides your have fantastic coverage.

If you wanted a dream ring you could have Leon do it and halo the whole thing. You'd have sparkle explosion, coverage galore, and a unique ring.

I also love love love this ring:

imageuploadedbytapatalk1355063539.jpg

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Forgot to attach image:

imageuploadedbytapatalk1355063591.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I would do a 3 stone, not a 5, and I'd have pear sides just about 2/3 the size of what your centre stone is- it would balance the centre and give you AWESOME width/finger coverage. By staying in the 'pear zone', I think it would visually flow better and you would probably not need the 4th and 5th stones, as the pear tip could be angled down slightly to give the illusion of more of a 'wrap' to your finger.

I have a 3 stone pear (granted, they are sapphires not diamonds) but I find it has amazing coverage! My ring is a size 7.75

img_0858.jpg

img_361.jpg

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Love Enerchi's ring!!!

Here's another I love (at JBEG). I can easily imagine with a pear center:

imageuploadedbytapatalk1355064348.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hmm. I still have not let go of the belief that you COULD do a pear 5 stone, maybe with a half stone and bullets up at the top half of the pear. But because they have to be pretty small if they are in proportion to just the fat part of my pear, so probably a 3 stone pear would have just as much coverage as smaller half moons and bullets.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Rosebloom|1355060594|3326769 said:
Forgot to attach image:

I like this pear 3-stone! The sides remind me of leaves or petals. They look more like the "rounded trillions" nielseel mentioned rather than actual pears.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi, your ring is gorg!!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
nielseel said:
hmm. I still have not let go of the belief that you COULD do a pear 5 stone, maybe with a half stone and bullets up at the top half of the pear. But because they have to be pretty small if they are in proportion to just the fat part of my pear, so probably a 3 stone pear would have just as much coverage as smaller half moons and bullets.
You definitely could do a five stone but I think a three stone with larger sides would be more beautiful and have more presence. The pear has such fantastic curves and some five stone arrangements might hide that fact. I'd stick with sides that really show off its curvy nature.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Here's another pear with graduated rounds similar to the one bastetcat found:

and this one is a poor picture, but I could imagine maybe short tapered traps with a small round tapering down that way would be more classy:

I do agree with rosebloom's statement though...I think there is a reason that we don't see pear 5-stones as often, but that's not to say it can't be done nicely!

aquapear.jpg

ringgia5o.jpg

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
nielseel said:
Here is one with half moons as a 3 stone, so in theory you could just add pears to the end of that, or bullets or something

http://www.stevenkirsch.com/engagement/three-stone/r0303.html
You definitely could and it would be lovely. But I think this is an example of the pear loosing its shape. It's still awesomely blingtastical (an Enerchi quote!) but doesn't have the distinct pear shape to my eye. Maybe that's what you're going for - which could be gorgeous too!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree I think it could be done. But you are right I think it might detract from the shape. And plus due to the fact the sides would have to be so small compared to the length of the pear ( because the sides really could only go at the rounded part) I think they would t provide much more coverage than a nice chubby pear. And also you guys are right. A chubby trillion look could be accomplished with the right shaped pear

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
I'm a repeat offender on resetting so no judgement from me.

So you want to retain the pear shape but also add horizontal finger coverage. Have you considered a three stone pear with halos? The pear side stones (or half moons!) would give some nice coverage, and adding the halos would retain the shape while giving that extra oomph I think you are trying to achieve.

And yes, IMO, halos are popular (which isn't a bad thing) a three stone halo is much less uncommon.

nk19535we_1.jpg

lacy2.jpg

144185625540871873_k1shrah3_b.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had even considered seeing if ritani could make me some haloed side stones. But I had asked them about something else a while ago and they said it a cad/cast so you can't just add my halo to a shank with sides. Though I feel like that is untrue. One because I thought it was hand forged and two because they could cad/cast a ring without the main stone an then connect mine to the ring. But then again it was just a customer crevice rep. And being one of those myself I know they have stock responses, but if you push long enough you can get exceptions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results