shape
carat
color
clarity

how to read an ideal scope picture for light return?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
According to the Ideal Scope photos, is there a difference in leakage?

Please post other Ideal Scope pic''s if you have them, I think they are visually stunning!

Example 1 grey.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
These are 2 very fine stones.
The first one has the 8* type girdle tweaking to reduce leakage.
The second has more little girdle leakage areas that some people prefer because they provide more contrast ie the leakage looks black.

This picture is not quite right - but shows what i mean.

first pair real white light shot.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
-----------
The first one has the 8* type girdle tweaking to reduce leakage.----------------

!? This is new: what exectly is a tweaked girdle? Only if it is not too much to ask...

Thnaks!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
search tweaked - you should find heaps
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

WHOA!​

Ok, sorry for the slack research... However, this is CRAZY! and I am back to my favorite cab sapphires. At least there I had one complicated thing to ask about the cut, more like "Is it polished?".​

PAX!​

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for clearing that up for me! Between Gary and Leo it finally clicked.

My incorrect conclusion was because the arrowheads were grey (more white than black) this indicated leakage.

This Eight Star Tweaking appears to be a prevelant attribute in some Whiteflash, A Cut Above Stones I have seen. This sounds like a good thing to me.

My stone-the one above seems to be very Scin. prone..so this jives with what I have personally seen....

Arlington

Shiny_Rock
If I understand correctly, this tweaking is prevalant in the Whiteflash ACA New Line stones. The stones that are labelled A Classic Line look more like the image that Gary posted. They still cut both, for the simple fact that some people prefer one over the other. I believe this is due to the scintilation Gary mentioned.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Spic,

Caught your thread here (and in other places) as I was doing a quick scan on the forum. I'd like to comment (and with graphical demonstrations) but time does not allow at this moment. I do have examples of H&A stones where the arrows are more red whereas they should be black and the effects this causes in way of light return within the stone. I'd have to hunt them down on my site though... hella busy here but will try to do so at my earliest convenience.

There are a number of factors though that may be causing the redish areas in that pic.

1. Light output not being directed at the high angles.

2. The distance from the lens of the camera to the diamond being photographed.

3. The size of the aperature between the camera lens and the diamond being photographed. (The hole in the red wherewith to look at the diamond).

Having designed one of these scopes myself I am aware of these and other possibilities that may cause that phenomena. I can only speak from what I know and have worked with though.

Looking at the first pic you posted it appears to be an EightStar product. Not the diamond but the scope. Perhaps their new symmetry scope.

I had in my possession the EightStar FireScope(tm) for approx. a year and have photographed many diamonds under it. Of the stones I photographed the blacks were pretty consistent from arrow shaft to arrow head. I know they had made some modifications in their new symmetry scope (closer to the modifications I had made in my own LightScope) but I have not worked with their newer version so I don't know the specifics and how our highest rated stones test out on their newer scope.

Regards,

Rhino

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
Its too bad its so hard to find anyone with:
1) Super Ideal Diamonds
2) Hi Tech gadgets like this Scope

in my area...

I would love to see in real time the difference between the two types of styles, 8* and scint. (white areas towards the edges).

Oh well, pictures will have to do...

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 11/19/2003 12:35:19 PM Rhino wrote:

There are a number of factors though that may be causing the redish areas in that pic.

1. Light output not being directed at the high angles.

2. The distance from the lens of the camera to the diamond being photographed.

3. The size of the aperature between the camera lens and the diamond being photographed. (The hole in the red wherewith to look at the diamond).
----------------

Aw....Jonathan, you left out the REAL reason.......because vendors are fixated on lying, touching up pictures of otherwise crappy stones, and trying the dupe the unsuspecting masses. Haven't you learned anything from the experts yet? /idealbb/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

(For those who aren't here regularly.....this is *not* really the case, despite repeated suggestions otherwise. The vendors here and at many other places are great to work with and represent their stones truthfully.)

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
This is a nice example from my archives. A diamond was shot using ideal-scope.

Left image shows as camera saw it in the shooting lightning environment.
Center image was automatically leveled by Photoshop.
Right image was adjusted by color, contrast and brightness.

Despite of all these adjustments and different color of arrows it is still a great diamond with no visible light leakage.

What kind of diamond is it?
1.gif

isadjusted.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
An ACA?
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm maybe not ACA....interesting to compare the picture in this image below of the diamond itself to the picture Garry posted, shows how the typical leakage in Garrys pic on the girdle is eliminated in the ACA below. That's the tweaking at work.

acutabovenewline2.jpeg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
rodent.gif
8*?

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
Does the change in color in the arrowhead at the "one-o'clock" position indicate anything?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm I don't know...
2.gif

eightstar.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 11/19/2003 3:42:32 PM Mara wrote:

rodent.gif
8*?
----------------
Bingo, Mara
3.gif

My point is that one shouldn't split hair with Ideal-scope, or HCA, or Brilliancescope. Use them as an aid but give also some credit to your own eyes and common sense.
1.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 11/19/2003 3:45:42 PM spicolicpa wrote:

Does the change in color in the arrowhead at the 'one-o'clock' position indicate anything?----------------
No, it's just a reflection from the lenses.

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
Here is a great example of Scintillation without the tweak....anyone got a real life with the tweak?
slobber
BTW this 1.1ct (D-IF) beauty will clock you ~$20k

scint.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm one on the left is the new line, one on the right is the classic?

Less scint marks at girdle, fatter arrows, better symmetry in the new line?

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
Nice pic's!
Right is with the tweak...8* esque? Much more activity on the rim of left...but then again I do see some white "v" on the righ now that I look.....

I can see why you still sell both....each has its own "personality" I like the thinner arrows bettwe than the fatties...but the clean look is something I have not seen much of..

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Here's an IS shot of my stone set in the ring. Apparently the setting can block some of the light, but I don't see leakage in this pic, or when I look at it in person with my Ideal-Scope. Arrows seem thin - what does that mean exactly?

redpicture.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rhino posted some info a ways back on thin vs thicker arrows....I want to say almost more white light for thinner, more fire for thicker? Not sure?

I ordered an IS from Garry this week--can't wait to get it. I've procrastinated too long.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Canadiangrrl, great shot for a begginer!
1.gif

----------------
Arrows seem thin - what does that mean exactly?
----------------
It means pavilion main facets are thinner while low girdle facets are longer. According to DiamCalc it may result in a bit higher contrast.

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
If I had to guess I would say Canada's ring is without the Tweak-a scin'nner! With what Leo said of thin arrows and contrast I wonder if Canada got a Brilliance report run of the diamond to give an objective read on Scin?

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Leonid, I can't take credit for that pic (hell, I can't even take a decent snapshot.)
1.gif
That photo was taken by Rich and was part of his excellent appraisal.
1.gif

Spicoli, I didn't get BrillianceScope measurements done on the stone. But if I read what you and Leonid are saying correctly, this stone should show above average contrast, i.e. scintillation, correct?

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
Man I fall on my ass everytime I pose an opinion on a I.S. photo.....its a purdy shot though!

Really I would think all things point to stone prone to above average scin.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results