shape
carat
color
clarity

How to match earrings?

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
What do merchants look for when selling matching studs?

For example, I was looking on JA casually and noticed that you usually don't get an superideal matched to a superideal, like in this pair:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/matching-pairs/view.asp?item1=1279598&item2=1254405
Also, notably, one fluoresces and the other does not. Can you imagine going to the club with your new diamond studs and getting caught under the blacklight? You would look pretty funny with just one glowing earring.

What's to stop you from matching:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1287723.asp
and
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1287683.asp
for example? Depth and table %s are within 0.5% and dimensions are 4.37*4.40*2.71 vs 4.38*4.42*2.70.

(Btw, I don't have flash on this computer so I couldn't actually view images of those two diamonds, just going by the numbers on the certs.)

Are you better off buying diamonds separately for studs or buying them as a "matched" pair?

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks good to me. I would not worry too much about 1 glowing stone, medium flour is not going to be very obvious, and slight differences in any parameters, separated by the head makes it very difficult to tell the difference.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Great question - I have no idea either. I always matched them up myself, like you did. I think you can find better diamonds at a better price looking for the pair yourself.

By the way, the first diamond scored 0.9, but the second scored 2.8 on the HCA.

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
starryeyed said:
Great question - I have no idea either. I always matched them up myself, like you did. I think you can find better diamonds at a better price looking for the pair yourself.

Since there is idealscope image and it shows no leakage, the HCA score is not that important.

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
starryeyed said:

Sweet! I think we'll go that route go once we start the studs project. :D

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Stone-cold11 said:
starryeyed said:

Since there is idealscope image and it shows no leakage, the HCA score is not that important.
What do you make of those arrow shafts? Half of them appear gray-ish pink, not the sharp black contrast. If it's diamond tilt causing that, could a more level image show leakage? Just wondering.

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
yap, tilt. If it is tilted and there is still no leakage, a level stone will not show leakage.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results