shape
carat
color
clarity

how to choose a great princess

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Hello,
My apologies for the long post here....
I have been reading the posts on this website for awhile and I must say that I now check it daily to see new rings. :) There are so many beautiful ones!
I have been married for about 2 1/2 years, and in that time, I have had 2 kids..they are 16 months and 2 months. Needless to say, we are very busy. Anyway, I am going to be upgrading my princess, but want to make sure that when I do, I get it right bc I won''t be doing this again.
Current ring:
Center stone: .74 F VS1 "good" cut. That is all I know about it.
It is in 18k white gold and has 6 channel set princesses on each side.
The wedding band is all channel set princesses.

I would like to upgrade center to 1.4-1.5 but I would like to know how to shop for it. For example, I will sacrifice in color down to G-H and clarity to SI1, unless I see an SI2 that is good too. What kind of cut is best for princess...Does "ideal" exist or is that only for round?? Also right now I just have prongs with the little points (lol, sorry for the poor vocab) holding it and I would like to change it to v-prong.
Anyway, I have been trying to take a pic with my digital but all come out way too blurry....

I will appreciate any and all advice as I am eager to make the change
36.gif
.. thanks!

Sophie

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were you I'd be sure to get an AGS 0 princess.

goodoldgold has one, it is a 1.52 carat, H VS2.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_52ct_h_vs2_ags_0_princess.htm

It was in their new stone section so it doesn't have all its info up yet.
If you contact them they may be able to get all the info up more quickly.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey upgrading! welcome to ps
35.gif

as of this year, there are princess cuts graded as ideal. you can find a list of dealers at www.craftedbyinfinity.com
best of luck in finding your new stone!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Because there are not that many AGS-0 princesses out there as that is a new scale, I would save money by getting a GIA certified stone from a reputable vendor who knows a good diamond from a poor one. The vendor I used was White Flash, and they have an excellent selection of stones that I''m sure would qualify for AGS-0. Here are a few to consider:

http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-1897538.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-1764188.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-1763311.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-1226189.htm#
http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-1767154.htm

Once you decide on a vendor, they should help you to choose the best stone. Make sure you see an ideal scope image, and talk to a diamond cutter or someone who is very knowlegeable. Other than that, just find a stone that speaks to you
1.gif

If you let us know what your budget is we can help more!

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the help. I would like to add about $3000 to what mine is worth. There is a Jeweler in Toronto who will trade in for me. The place I bought it wants me to double. (adding $5000, min), I won''t do that bc it is a rip off.... How can I take a pic with my digital to post? The flash keeps blurring my pic!
20.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGS 0

We are referring to AGS’s new cut grade for princess diamonds that they just introduced a few months ago.

It means the stone meets AGS's highest standards for:

Light Performance

Proportion Factors

Finish

Polish

Symmetry

This all is poo pooed by some sellers who don't carry these new stones.

Experts will bicker forever about the details but for me, a novice, I like the warm fuzzy feeling that an AGS 0 rating gives to the princess.
It means smarter people than I gave their blessing to the stone's cut.

Hamster

Rough_Rock
I agree with Kenny, but that is also just my opinion as a consumer. I liked the AGS-0 that we bought WAY better than any other stones I had seen, but then I don''t make a living by looking at thousands of stones. I''m sure that given a long time, I could have found a non-AGS 0 that satisfied my needs.

AGS recently came out with cut grading parameters for princess cuts. A "0" is the highest grade you can get, according to their grading parameters. Since it is relatively new, there are not that many out there yet. However, you CAN find them and they are worth looking into.

As you are in Canada, not sure who is carrying them up there, but there are vendors in the US that can work with you. My BF is in Canada and he bought an AGS-0 for me in the US.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/11/2005 1:01:50 AM
Author: researcher
Because there are not that many AGS-0 princesses out there as that is a new scale, I would save money by getting a GIA certified stone from a reputable vendor who knows a good diamond from a poor one. The vendor I used was White Flash, and they have an excellent selection of stones that I''m sure would qualify for AGS-0.

Once you decide on a vendor, they should help you to choose the best stone. Make sure you see an ideal scope image, and talk to a diamond cutter or someone who is very knowlegeable. Other than that, just find a stone that speaks to you
1.gif

If you let us know what your budget is we can help more!
You are giving good advice, researcher, in the sense that it is very important to choose a vendor, whom you feel comfortable with and who is capable of help you choose the best stone.

However, I cannot let the remark pass by that you are sure that these stones would qualify for AGS-0. Brian and John will agree with me that these stones will not qualify for AGS-0. They might be AGS-1, AGS-2 or AGS-3, which is still way better than the average princess-cut, but that is it.

I just want to say that your remark is incorrect, without implying that these stones are to be avoided. I hope that this is clear.

Live long,

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Researcher, we surely appreciate the vote of confidence in our goods. However, Paul is correct in his statement about our current inventory. As of this time the princess diamonds we have in stock are not AGS0. We are taking time with the design and production of a new line of princess cuts. Our ideal princess is forthcoming and we look forward to introducing her down the road.

Paul is producing AGS0 princess cuts that have received great acclaim. Those seeking them can find them with Wink, Garry Dutton and Bill Scherlag here on PS.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry! I did not mean to imply that all of those stones would qualify for an AGS-0 rating, but that there may be some in the WF inventory that could be hidden gems. For instance, of the BScope results I''ve seen, my stone performed just as well if not better than some of the AGS-0 stones. Also, my ideal scope image looks just as good. So, what I was trying to say is that you don''t have to get an AGS-0 certified stone to find an amazing princess cut stone.

Do I think the new ideal cuts for princesses are spectacular? Most definitely! Do I think it''s worth the money to pay for one of those stones? I''m not sure. Maybe once I see one of the new stones in person I will change my mind, but so far my stone holds its ground with rounds and far outshines the princesses I see in most stores.

Now, I''m wondering how you can tell that stones previously graded by the GIA would not qualify as AGS-0 in performance. I mean, because the grading scale did not exist wouldn''t most of the top stones before 2005 have a GIA report? Is it just that you have to meet very specific angles to meet those standards?

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2005 4:22:41 PM
Author: researcher
I''m so sorry! I did not mean to imply that all of those stones would qualify for an AGS-0 rating, but that there may be some in the WF inventory that could be hidden gems. For instance, of the BScope results I''ve seen, my stone performed just as well if not better than some of the AGS-0 stones. Also, my ideal scope image looks just as good. So, what I was trying to say is that you don''t have to get an AGS-0 certified stone to find an amazing princess cut stone.

Do I think the new ideal cuts for princesses are spectacular? Most definitely! Do I think it''s worth the money to pay for one of those stones? I''m not sure. Maybe once I see one of the new stones in person I will change my mind, but so far my stone holds its ground with rounds and far outshines the princesses I see in most stores.

Now, I''m wondering how you can tell that stones previously graded by the GIA would not qualify as AGS-0 in performance. I mean, because the grading scale did not exist wouldn''t most of the top stones before 2005 have a GIA report? Is it just that you have to meet very specific angles to meet those standards?
Researcher, no apology necessary. Actually, it''s relevant to mention that we have a couple of experimental princesses in our inventory that were sent to AGS and received 0 in light performance (ex in symmetry - but the focus in their creation was the new AGS light performance standard). Brian is still working to refine exact tolerances, and when he has arrived at his formula for visual balance we will introduce the ''A Cut Above'' Princess.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I look forward to seeing the new "A Cut Above" princesses. I know I love Paul''s stones (the cut is magnificent!) and can''t wait to see what Brian comes up with
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results