shape
carat
color
clarity

How to buy studs the hard way ... (or save a lot of money)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Depending on how you look at it, this could be viewed as a hard way to buy studs, or a way to get them cheap. I decided to look for a pair of studs in the later part of last year and to source the stones by myself as much as possible as a learning experience. Constrained by an order from my wife not to buy her any more diamonds, it was essential that it be done on a budget. Initially I thought I would try to find some clean I1s in super ideal cut, like Patty’s. I soon learned that finding a clean matching pair could take quite some time. So, SI2 Js became the target.

The first acquisition was a GIA 0.65 C eye clean SI2 J with ideal cut proportions and an HCA of 1.3 at a great price. Light performance was great but something was not right. It had a warm tinge that I just didn’t care for. After trying to see if I could live with it for about 3 weeks, I decided to return it.

Browsing all of the databases every week led me to a GIA 0.65 SI2 H with again great cut proportions and an HCA of 1.1. The price was already less then average in the PS data base and vendor was also running a special at the time, which made the stone the same price as the J. So I bought it and it looked great. A near H&A stone with perfect arrows and slightly open clefts on hearts, but an excellent Idealscope. It was a keeper. OK, now to just find another one.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Well finding the match wasn’t so easy, especially since I wanted to match the price of the first one I bought. Now, since I knew that I was looked for an item that was going to be a low profit I was very leery of asking any vendor to expend time or expense for me. I searched for the stones on my own and only asked vendors when they looked interesting. After seeing promising stones disappear quickly, I was resigned to paying significantly more (30 to 40%) for the matching stone. I then came across a true H&A stone with full AGS cert, Gemex BrillianceScope report and laser inscribed girdle for a very attractive price. HCA of 1.0. Needless to say, I bought it as soon as it was offered.

Here’s what I ended up with:

0.65 carat 0.64 carat
SI2 H VS2 H
57% table 57% table
60.4% depth 61% depth
33.8 crown 34.5 crown
40.9 pavilion 40.7 pavilion
near H&A H&A
GIA AGS 000
Both stones spread about 5.6 mm

I had them mounted in platinum la pousette backed 4 prong baskets. I can’t definitively tell the difference between the stones without a loupe. For all intents and purposes, they totally match.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Now, after taking about 4 months to do this would I do this again? I’m not sure. I did to get more experience buying diamonds and it was a very good learning experience. Plus I saved at least a couple thousand to pre-made studs, but it was a bit time consuming. I’d probably relax my criteria in the future.

If you are looking for studs, you can save a fair bit of money over pre assembled. I’d offer these observations:

1. Choose a very spready size just before a step change in price. For example, I chose 0.6x. One could choose 0.4x or 0.9x as well. Recognize that however, stones will be slim pickings in these sizes.
2. Expand your search to many sources, including ones beyond PS and get to know what to look for to narrow stones quickly.
3. Be prepared to buy on the spot without hesitation. Well-cut stones at a great price in those size ranges get snapped up very fast. If it fits, act quickly, it will be gone if you hum and haw.
4. Don’t expect all the bells and whistles of detailed photos without paying for them. Know what you want from specs and sarin and buy with a good return policy.
5. Don’t expect the vendor to do the work for you for such low margins for them. It’s not fair.

Here’s a pic.

DSC00193.JPG

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow awesome job noobie!! They look amazing, yes it was alot of work, but worth it I''m sure. I bet your wife is thrilled.
30.gif

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
stunning :)

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for posting your experience having these made, as well as tips you''ve learned in the process. I will definitely keep this in mind when I look for a set!!!! And they look gorgeous too.
36.gif

michela002

Shiny_Rock
Wow, that sounds like quite a journey but the end result is beautiful.
9.gif

michela002

Shiny_Rock
Oh, and I just couldn''t resist commenting on this:

Date: 4/15/2005 8:53:51 PM
Author:noobie

Constrained by an order from my wife not to buy her any more diamonds ...
6.gif

I don''t think I''ve ever heard of such a thing!
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
seriously huge YUM..those are beautiful!! more pix!! that is about the size I am looking to upgrade my earrings to at some point...but it''s a very hard size to find!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
noobie

congrats,looks like a beautiful pair.
30.gif
10.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Noobie,

Two thoughts:

1) Most of all...really appreciate your post. Walking us through the decision making process for shopping, and when done with the care you showed in the process, without leaving out the "lessons-learned" part, is more of what Pricescope should be about.

2) Help us analyze the work you did. For example, and without being able to impugn either the learning you intended to do, or that we could accomplish in doing the same, in only the last few months, WF has set up a product line that will represent a hard to beat target. What do you think about the investment in sweat equity vs. letting them do the work. (or, in other words, without intending to be rude, rather than giving us the savings, can you let us do the math?)

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Interesting. You can save money - but it''s gonna cost you in time and effort. It''s a fine balance to figure out your opportunity cost.

But, probably like you, there is the enjoyment factor of shopping for diamonds.
28.gif
9.gif
So, how does that weigh into the picture?
9.gif

Looks great - really nice size choice. Now, could you imagine finding those with med/strong blue fluor?
6.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
You know F&I, it''s so true. The opportunity cost was high, however the effective hourly rate I "paid" (savings) myself was pretty good as well. I''m guessing about $50 per hour. Howvever I think you need to like learning about buying stones to take this on. Would I do it again. Not sure. Part of teh reason for it was just to increase my learning and experience. I feel pretty confident in chosing and buying stones now. It would take much less time the next time, since I''ve learned how to scan and select stones very quickly. It would only take me about 10 to 15 minutes to search through the sources.

Ira: The WF preset ES studs are indeed a compelling option and some of the best I''ve seen in premade. Since I bought by spread and not carat weight, the closest comparison would be the 1.40 tcw, 5.7 mm studs. Mine spread 5.65 mm, but neither stone breaks 70 points. I bought H color full GIA and AGS certed stones and one is a true H&A of VS2 clarity. In comparison the preset ones from WF are I color, uncerted and near H&A, although at least one stone cracks the 70 point barrier. Had I gone with the ES studs, I would have spent well in excess of 50% more.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/16/2005 126:48 PM
Author: noobie

Had I gone with the ES studs, I would have spent well in excess of 50% more.
How can these sellers survive with the like of you arround !
9.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/16/2005 8
6.gif
5:43 PM
Author: valeria101

How can these sellers survive with the like of you arround !
9.gif

Hey, I just buy what people offer
9.gif

In all seriousness, I did get lucky as well. In all my looking around, I do think those WF ES studs are a pretty good value and they would be at the top of my list for premade studs.

And upon reflection, if I had known it would take as long as it did, I probably would have set a much higher target price or bought the ES ones. However, if you don't have any deadline to buy and you can act quickly when necessary, you can do OK.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Noobie, your advice is sound and the earrings are SPECTACULAR!!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
They are well worth all the thought and effort you put in! And a couple of thousand of dollars is no small change...good for you to shop smart--and end up with a great result to boot! (but I am not surprised...
2.gif
)
1.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results