shape
carat
color
clarity

How rare is a MRB O?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So as im sure many of you have notices, Ive decided to "redo" my e ring. Though I dont like the normal colorless round in white metal solitaire, Ive decided I might need a round to really quench my thirst for sparkle. Now that doesnt sound hard at all to find, but where it gets tricky is my ultimate goal would be an ideal ct "O" thats eye clean, preferably SI2. Now ive contacted Good old gold to try and help me find one, but how hard do you think that will be to find

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes an I'm quite comfortable with the tint, so no need to talk me out of that :lol:
And I'd take an M or N, but I like the personality of colors that low.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I have the same questions as DS. I have never seen a MRB in a color this low before and would have to see it in person to know if I liked it or not. If you like low colored stones and want some sparkle have you considered old cuts?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont like old cuts. I like reproduction old cuts but i feel I rarely see and old cuts i like for my self that seem crisp enough for my liking.

I feel really comfortable with this idea, I love your concern, and i know many people (particularly DS) would never consider it, but I really think it would help with my concern; I fear that a round wont be unique enough for me as just a normal near/colorless. I just dont want one.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
I guess it'd depend on what size you're looking for and what the budget is? I know the lower you go on the color scale the bigger stone you can get for less....well, until you get to fancy colors...anyways, above info would be helpful to know.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
04diamond<3|1361744389|3389402 said:
I guess it'd depend on what size you're looking for and what the budget is? I know the lower you go on the color scale the bigger stone you can get for less....well, until you get to fancy colors...anyways, above info would be helpful to know.

Why? Are they rarer in higher or lower colors? Its not a matter of if i can afford what im looking for, from the little Ive been searching, i think my budget to size ratio is good for what im looking for. Its just that so few websites even go down to an O. The best I can do is look at M's and judge the sizes from that. Im looking for it to be a relative surprise when I post it so i didnt want to go into too much detail about what im looking for, im more wondering how hard it will be for Jon to find one. How much more difficult are they to find compared to H's or D's?

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
nielseel|1361744737|3389407 said:
04diamond<3|1361744389|3389402 said:

Why? Are they rarer in higher or lower colors? Its not a matter of if i can afford what im looking for, from the little Ive been searching, i think my budget to size ratio is good for what im looking for. Its just that so few websites even go down to an O. The best I can do is look at M's and judge the sizes from that. Im looking for it to be a relative surprise when I post it so i didnt want to go into too much detail about what im looking for, im more wondering how hard it will be for Jon to find one. How much more difficult are they to find compared to H's or D's?

Ok..............I thought you'd want our helping in finding you some options, but that's fine. you can check out www.exceldiamonds.com too because they have these as well as DBL....but I figured you knew that already and were just looking for help. I guess not. I'd ask any of the vendors how difficult it'd be for them to find these diamonds....

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh no no help here, they are so hard to find online! :roll: Im just having Jon look for them for me at this point
This wasnt a "find me a diamond" post, I was most wondering how high i should get my hopes up. Or if thats rough people dont cut into ideals because the market isnt as high. Which would make sense except, rounds are the most popular, you you would think if you had an O, youd try to make it an O first, you know? :wavey: I know you girls are more than willing to help look, but that wasnt was I was looking for yet

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
04diamond<3|1361745804|3389425 said:

Yeah ive looked there, not a lot of SI clarity ones, which technically i would prefer. I liked that 1.3 O, BUT I dont know what a "cavity" is but sounds unpleasant :lol: Scores well enough on the HCA though. However, id prefer it from GOG because i wanted it in this setting(rose gold) so id prefer to get it from a place that sells ritani, though im not limited, the local B&M store sells them, so i could technically get it set there. I was also considering contacting pearlmans. Id like to support a (relatively ) local business, but i havent called them yet.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good Old Gold can access a huge amount of virtual stones. I think the main issue will be whether there are cutters out there bothering to do ideal cutting on stones with color that low. Obviously there is far more demand (and higher prices paid) for J and higher. I just wondered why you are narrowing your selection to O color when there are colors that are below J that might be more accessible..like K-L specifically. That's why I asked if you had seen an O color rb as compared to maybe K-L.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
04diamond<3|1361746166|3389431 said:
ok, I just HAD to share this one. I personally would call and make sure this is the right stone and ask for a certificate, but it scored a 1.1 on the HCA!!!!!!!!

http://www.exceldiamonds.com/Diamonds-1/IGI-Graded-Round-Diamond-2-26-Carat-N-Color-SI2-Clarity-221565.html

(DH literally said, if I had a job, we would be getting this but since im in school...not yet).

04D<3 Im glad you can appreciate why Im looking for a lower colored stone. Oh if only i had not bought the "mid range colored stones are ugly" hype when i started i could have had something spectacular! haha. Sparkle then size are my main concern (we cant all have dainty fingers :lol: )but i find many colors beautiful and i prefer something with a lot of character so it works to my benefit.

DS i prefer lower colors away from K because i find them less attractive to my eye. And i get what your saying but i imagine they would bother to do it because if they in fact DO have that rough, a well cut round would return the most $

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think that is necessarily true considering most higher color diamonds are not ideal cut, so I see no reason to think ideal cut low colors would be more likely than high colors to be ideal cut. I was just speculating on reasons you aren't finding many listed! There just likely isn't any demand for colors that low in ideal cut stones. But I am confident that Jon can locate something for you! If not, he can probably have one cut since he has many low color AVR's.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1361751430|3389484 said:
I don't think that is necessarily true considering most higher color diamonds are not ideal cut, so I see no reason to think ideal cut low colors would be more likely than high colors to be ideal cut. I was just speculating on reasons you aren't finding many listed! There just likely isn't any demand for colors that low in ideal cut stones. But I am confident that Jon can locate something for you! If not, he can probably have one cut since he has many low color AVR's.

the reason I am not finding many is mostly i believe do to the fact most search engines only go down to M. And let me rephrase, most diamonds are cut into rounds, so i would assume that to be true of any color, was basically what i meant. I have good faith in Jon though emails he has been just wonderful :D hopefully i can find what im looking for. oh well the hunt is just as fun ;-)

Heres a vid i found, so i know they are out there!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZMfDnOpLBQ

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure how rare they are, but by the looks of the posts they are definitely out there. If Jon is confident that he can find you one than I think you have reason to feel confident as well. He's in a much better position to know how available they are. I'm sure you told Jon that you were also looking for a good performer and that he won't let you down in the regard either. So, I'm curious now about this future project of yours.... :Up_to_something:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christina...|1361754698|3389532 said:
I'm not sure how rare they are, but by the looks of the posts they are definitely out there. If Jon is confident that he can find you one than I think you have reason to feel confident as well. He's in a much better position to know how available they are. I'm sure you told Jon that you were also looking for a good performer and that he won't let you down in the regard either. So, I'm curious now about this future project of yours.... :Up_to_something:

Nothing crazy :mrgreen: but as for what I end up with and what I'm willing to spend I'm trying to keep that to myself until the end.

I haven't heard back from him yet. I originally had him looking for an O emerald cut for a lower price, because I was planning on setting it a three stone. BUT he was having a hard time finding a good low colored emerald cut for my lower budget. I was planning on making a three stone. Now however, I'm forgoing that for a few years to get a nice large stone and update the setting in a few years. I told him to scrap the emerald cut sense it they weren't as plentiful and to go with a round. We will see what he says.....

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Nielsen, for the setting, would you have the prongs in rosé gold or white/plat?

I think this could be a very interesting project!!! What are your timelines?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
maccers|1361756278|3389553 said:
Nielsen, for the setting, would you have the prongs in rosé gold or white/plat?

I think this could be a very interesting project!!! What are your timelines?

Im thinking a white metal, and i have no timeline, perfectly willing to wait for a eye clean SI2, assuming its out there

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
There's an O Octavia at GOG right now, ideal light performance, more personality than an MRB in my opinion.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
milton333|1361762076|3389618 said:
There's an O Octavia at GOG right now, ideal light performance, more personality than an MRB in my opinion.

yes one MILLION percent more personality, BUT more than im looking to spend at that size.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I have seen some over the years although I don't think they were ideal cut MRBs. As you said, most of the search engines only go to M.

A while back, Jon had a gorgeous low color honker that he was considering to recut. I can't remember what happened to it. There was also a really pretty huge low color one he was selling .. but that was an old cut.

What size range are you looking for? I will keep an eye out if I see it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The search engine on PS goes all the way down in color...I saw as low as W just skimming a couple of pages. But Jon can access most of the virtual stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results