shape
carat
color
clarity

How much sparkle do french cuts give?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
How do they set square diamonds in a round halo without having too much of a gap on the outer circumphrence??

Thanks Harriet.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, Diagem! Thanks! Those are super cool pictures and give me a much better visual of it.

DD-I may be wrong but I think they cut them in a trap shape to make then go around.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Bumping this up for anyone who might have some more words for me on these stones.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
i will say one thing --I LOVE french cuts my self BUT if my stone was a brilliant cut i wouldnt use french cuts--too much competing faceting. if your stone is a mine cut style sapphire or a step cut i think it works. EDIT: I guess what I am saying is that with a brilliant cut round (like your avatar I would use square/carre cut) but with a step cut or a stone with large open facets can carry french cuts. There needs to be some balance. I have an EC e-ring and have three french cut bands. The geometry of the EC works well against the faceting of the french cuts

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm, thanks for that observation bgray. My stone is a precision brilliant cut. I have seen this done often in the art deco period with a round brilliant center diamond and a french cut gemstone halo and I love the way that looks. Do you think it being done in the opposite fashion changes things?

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 11:02:40 AM
Author: stepcutgirl
Hmm, thanks for that observation bgray. My stone is a precision brilliant cut. I have seen this done often in the art deco period with a round brilliant center diamond and a french cut gemstone halo and I love the way that looks. Do you think it being done in the opposite fashion changes things?

I dont know. Not saying it wont look good but--it could come off as busy/clashing. I actually have an antique ring with carre cut rubies around an old mine diamond. I feel like most of the times the halos are carre cuts but I might be wrong. Personally with your stunning stone I would do square cuts as the halo. OR you could do round brilliants ..........

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Stepcutnut: check these out for ideas.

http://www.sjphillips.com/

i cant make the link live but check out sapphire rings....

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Those are some gorgeous rings! Thanks for the link.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
stepcutnut:

a thought--what about a double halo--a truly deco look. (my fave). your stone surrounded by rounds surrounded by squares OR your stone surrounded by squares surrounded by french cuts... or some variation of that idea...

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I do love that look as well but that is a LOT of halo!
32.gif

This stone is a pretty good size already at 2,0 cts and 7.3mm so I think two halos would be too much for it, but it is a fantastic look!

ETA-I have called every jeweler in the tri county area that has estate pieces and either thay have no idea what french cuts are or they have no pieces with them in it! Grrrr!

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
stephen russell in nyc uses them quite a bit

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 6:59:13 PM
Author: DiaGem
A slightly different design version in a line...
DiaGem, I love you.
742469s3709nw4fb.gif

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Diagem and oldminer could I have your opinions on a french cut halo with a sapphire center?

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
bumping up again. I still want to hear from a few others.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
What's your budget? French cuts that will have to be custom cut into a halo will likely prove to be VERY expensive. Maybe you should start with a quote before you get your heart set one way or another?

ETA: My educated but amateur guess would be the setting would be 2x or more with French cuts vs. standard RBs or single cuts. RB or single cut maybe $1500-2500, custom-cut Frenchies: 5-7K

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I've gotten 2 quotes back so far. While money is an issue, this is in my budget. I'd really like to hear from people who have french cuts how they feel they look since I have no way to see french cuts. I'd also like more general opinions on a halo of this sort since myself and the vendors who have given quotes have never seen a halo like this.

ETA-I also thought the quotes would come back so expensive it would take it out of the running, but they are surprisingly not all that much more than a regular rb halo.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
i know i am repeating myself from earlier but french cuts werent and arent typically used in halos--it was pretty much carre cuts which from a distance might look like they were french cuts. french cuts would be extremely difficult to trim for a halo because of the faceting. stepehn russell in nyc is very into french cuts and uses them in bands and sometimes in the bands of a ring. Leon Mege loves antique and antique style stones--if anyone can do it and do it right -it would be him. why dont you ask him? his halos are predominantly carre and brilliant (pave/bead)

it would also concern me that the vendors who have given you quotes have never seen such a halo.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
bgray-carre cuts are an option for this but not as much as french cuts. I have seen old halos made from each and I prefer the french cut ones.

Each of the vendors who are giving me quotes have seen the halo done with both french cut and carre cut gemstones but not diamonds. An internet search yields no results of a diamond halo using either cut. Hence why I want opinions from people who have seen french cut diamonds and can give me an opinion of why they think it would or would not work.

I did ask Leon for a quote for a ring similar to this before but using colored stones (which I assume) would be cheaper and it was 3x's the cost that has been quotes so far.

ETA-Just to make sure he is still out of my budget I did just send him another quote request.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 8:17:26 PM
bgray-carre cuts are an option for this but not as much as french cuts. I have seen old halos made from each and I prefer the french cut ones.

Each of the vendors who are giving me quotes have seen the halo done with both french cut and carre cut gemstones but not diamonds. An internet search yields no results of a diamond halo using either cut. Hence why I want opinions from people who have seen french cut diamonds and can give me an opinion of why they think it would or would not work.

I did ask Leon for a quote for a ring similar to this before but using colored stones (which I assume) would be cheaper and it was 3x's the cost that has been quotes so far.

ETA-Just to make sure he is still out of my budget I did just send him another quote request.

got it--i have several french cut diamond bands myself. nothing with a halo.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
french cuts are square - it could look awkward to halo a round stone with square stones, that would be my biggest concern.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2010 2:18:02 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Here is a photo shopped picture of what I''m thinking. I think I would go JbEG, BGD or WF for the design.
Okay, that looks nice - I guess I pictured the french cuts as being much larger relatively and sticking out like awkward petals lol

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Ceh-yeah, that would be a bit odd! They custom cut the stones into almost trap shaped squares, if that makes sense.

Bg-Are your french cut rings on here? I couldn''t find your thread on any.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 8:10:46 PM
Author: bgray
i know i am repeating myself from earlier but french cuts werent and arent typically used in halos--it was pretty much carre cuts which from a distance might look like they were french cuts. french cuts would be extremely difficult to trim for a halo because of the faceting. stepehn russell in nyc is very into french cuts and uses them in bands and sometimes in the bands of a ring. Leon Mege loves antique and antique style stones--if anyone can do it and do it right -it would be him. why dont you ask him? his halos are predominantly carre and brilliant (pave/bead)

it would also concern me that the vendors who have given you quotes have never seen such a halo.
That may be true for diamond French cut halos, but you don''t have to look far to find sapphire and ruby French cut halos. Here''s one I found at Dover Jewelry

french cut halo.jpg

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, you can find those gemstone halos fairly easily...but I can''t find a single diamond one.
39.gif

I REALLY like those gemstone ones though. If I don''t wind up with a french cut diamond halo for my ering I would love to have a sapphire halo around an oec one day!

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 9:00:50 PM
Author: Gailey
Date: 3/3/2010 8:10:46 PM

Author: bgray

That may be true for diamond French cut halos, but you don''t have to look far to find sapphire and ruby French cut halos. Here''s one I found at Dover Jewelry

yes i agree: i have a double oec stone ring each with a french cut ruby halo

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 8:30:54 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
french cuts are square - it could look awkward to halo a round stone with square stones, that would be my biggest concern.
They are not always square. I believe Single Stone carries a band with rectangular French cuts. Lang Antiques is listing an asscher ring with graduated French cuts.

Lastly, Here are some sublime traps cut by DiaGem I believe

french cut calibre traps 02.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 9:03:15 PM
Yes, you can find those gemstone halos fairly easily...but I can''t find a single diamond one.
39.gif

I REALLY like those gemstone ones though. If I don''t wind up with a french cut diamond halo for my ering I would love to have a sapphire halo around an oec one day!
I don''t believe I have either, otherwise I would have saved it in my scrap book. Closest I came was finding a CAD of a diamond halo. I found this on PS, but can''t for the life of me remember where.

pnkassch halos4.jpg

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Well I finally found a jeweler who has done a diamond french cut halo around a colored stone and he says it is exquisite! Way way out of my price range, but that makes me very happy to hear!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results