shape
carat
color
clarity

How much should I have paid?

allie83

Rough_Rock
Hello! Long time listener, first time caller here. I was just wondering what your opinions are on this stone and how much I should have paid for it, as I think I may have gotten a pretty good deal, but I am still new to all of this. The ring will be here Thursday, so I am obsessing until I see it. So here goes:

According to AGS report:
Round Brilliant
J color, IF clarity
.598 carat, 5.44-5.47 x 3.31 mm
Ideal cut, symmetry, and polish
Depth: 60.7 %
Table: 57%
Crown angle: 33.9 degrees
Pavilion angle: 40.8 degrees
girdle is thin to medium, faceted

Opinions? I have a return window, so I am just curious as to what I should have paid.

allie83

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your fast reply! Here is the light performance image for my diamond, am I crazy to think it looks a little "neater" or do I just not know how to read these things yet? photo_8.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both appear to be very well cut stones. We don't have hearts images for yours, so we can't completely compare cut. But they should appear to be comparable in real life viewing.

So how much did you pay?

allie83

Rough_Rock
$1610. Which I figure the difference is for the IF clarity, which was not my goal, I would have accepted SI1, but the fates happened that the largest carat weight with the best cut in my price range also had that clarity grade. Thursday will tell whether the J color will bother me, but I believe I am more of a cut and clarity girl. I tend to be an insomniac shopper, so I am happy to know my 3 a.m. impulses were not too far off, and there is a return policy.

allie83

Rough_Rock
By the way, your jewelry is the stuff of legends, so thank you for entertaining my questions about my "baby" diamond. ;-) I am a poor grad student with a toddler, upgrading from an eBay wedding set, so I am super excited and wanting to get the best bang for my buck.

diamondloveaffair

Shiny_Rock
you can easily do your own comparisons with the diamond search tool on pricescope.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1369188849|3451573 said:
Closest comp I could find is this but it is a hearts and arrows stone so is priced higher than a regular ideal cut:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.58-carat-J-color-VS1-clarity-Ideal-cut-sku-178758

So your clarity is a little higher (which is really higher than you'd want to pay for), and this one is H&A, so I am going to hope you paid no more than $1500.

This is only one person's opinion. Many others prefer high clarity, for lots of reasons, and are willing to pay for it. It looks like you paid a reasonable price for a well-cut stone. The images of the diamond are computer-generated and are not actual images of the diamond. If this stone was being sold as a "hearts and arrows" diamond, then perfect hearts and arrows matter; otherwise, don't worry about H&A if it wasn't sold as an H&A stone.

allie83

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your reassurance, Lula. And you are correct, diamondloveaffair, I could compare stones myself on that tool. Except that numbers do not mean anything if you are not reading them correctly, so I really just wanted opinions from humans on whether I was too far off base with what I paid. :) After a few hours of staring at percentages and angle measurements, your eyes start to cross and you need a second opinion.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
allie83|1369191433|3451606 said:
$1610. Which I figure the difference is for the IF clarity, which was not my goal, I would have accepted SI1, but the fates happened that the largest carat weight with the best cut in my price range also had that clarity grade. Thursday will tell whether the J color will bother me, but I believe I am more of a cut and clarity girl. I tend to be an insomniac shopper, so I am happy to know my 3 a.m. impulses were not too far off, and there is a return policy.

Yes, the price is just fine and reflects the higher clarity. Trust me, when I got my asscher, the best cut stone was VVS1 and I just paid for it because it was the best stone! I prefer clarity too high over clarity too low since you aren't ever going to regret clarity that is great after it is paid for! And just for the record, I generally buy VS1 for rings which is considered high around here!

So I think you did just fine on the price and you'll have to see the color in various lighting to see if you like it. But it looks like a great stone overall, so I hope it is "the one" for you! (And thank you for the sweet compliment! I am probably old enough to be your mother, so it has taken me years to get to the point of really getting some nice pieces of jewelry!)

allie83

Rough_Rock
I am extremely happy about the IF clarity, to be honest. It makes it feel a little more "special" in a way. I am highly curious to see if there is really a difference in the stringency on color between different grading systems. My first engagement ring was an eBay special princess cut, J color VS1 by IGI (I think?) standards. The color on that one never bothered me, so I wonder if this one will be the same or different or better. I say that SI1 would have been okay, but I don't know for sure. For being near-sighted, I have an eagle's eye for imperfections in real life, many mall store people have been irritated by my existence, so dropping below VS1 over the internet was a little too risky for me, and worth an extra $200. ;-) I went with a basic six prong setting for now, because I am really not sure what I want to do with it long-term, but I really don't want to keep switching out my diamond every year.

allie83

Rough_Rock
This is also my first round brilliant in my hunt for "the one", so I am extra curious how I will like it. First was a pretty good princess, next was a cushion that left much to be desired. Thinking I really may be a traditional round girl. Until I can afford my 2+ carat emerald cut. ;-)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
allie83|1369194944|3451643 said:
This is also my first round brilliant in my hunt for "the one", so I am extra curious how I will like it. First was a pretty good princess, next was a cushion that left much to be desired. Thinking I really may be a traditional round girl. Until I can afford my 2+ carat emerald cut. ;-)

Haha! You sound like you belong here for sure! :bigsmile:

I think if you had an IGI J color and were happy with it, you will be very pleased with an ideal cut round in J color. It likely will face up whiter than a princess.

Do come back and tell us! And post pictures, too!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your new diamond - it sounds lovely.

But don't diss up ebay just yet :) Many great stones have been had from ebay.

allie83

Rough_Rock
Oh, I could never diss eBay. It is where I spend most of my time and money. It is a new adventure for me to buy something new. Although I do have my eye on a couple of back up plans on eBay if it does not work out.

allie83

Rough_Rock
Okay, so the new rings are here. Of course it is raining cats and dogs today in the Sunshine State, so I am not sure how the color looks in natural lighting yet. Here are a couple of iphone pictures while I figure out how to make my stupid camera take a clear, close picture. photo-44.jpg
photo-45.jpg
Also, I am not really 80, but I work with children with special needs, so constant hand washing and hand sanitizer use has left my poor hands incredibly dried out, which enhances their natural wrinkles. :rolleyes:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness what size are your fingers!!! That diamond looks much larger then the ct weight you gave!! I really like the set personally! If you ever down the road get bored with it throw on a stacker and you have a whole new look! Just classic and I really like it :appl:

And yay for another toddler mom! Welcome to PS! You definitely belong here as it seems you have already been on a dimaond journey to your dream ring :bigsmile:

allie83

Rough_Rock
Aw, thank you! My ring size is a 6, but my fingers carry more thickness on the palm side than the sides, if that makes sense. The only thing I don't like is the wedding band fits a big more snugly, so I will be sizing that up a hair. And I already have a cheap ebay stacker in mind. ;-)

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Allie- that looks great on you! Congrats on your new ring! In addition to eBay, you might also keep an eye out on DiamondBistro for stacking rings. They get listed fairly regularly. And check the "Someone's Got to Buy This Eternity Ring" thread. Lots of "finds" get posted there as well. :)

allie83

Rough_Rock
Ooh, thank you for the suggestions! I like having a round solitaire now because I feel like the options for bands is almost limitless.

allie83

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I am trying my best to second-guess this purchase, but I think it is just about perfect for what I can reasonably afford right now. Even from the side I cannot find a noticeable tint in this J. Of all things, I am having a hard time adjusting to the contrast in such a good cut, it is shocking to look down and see arrows for the first time. First world problems. ;-) I think all I really need right now is a good eBay-priced diamond band to go with it. What carat weight would you all recommend?

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
allie83|1369365948|3452880 said:
Thank you! I am trying my best to second-guess this purchase, but I think it is just about perfect for what I can reasonably afford right now. Even from the side I cannot find a noticeable tint in this J. Of all things, I am having a hard time adjusting to the contrast in such a good cut, it is shocking to look down and see arrows for the first time. First world problems. ;-) I think all I really need right now is a good eBay-priced diamond band to go with it. What carat weight would you all recommend?

I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for but this one is was on DB (and not listed as sold) and originally came from a reputable vendor here.

http://diamondbistro.com/category/214/Eternity-Rings/listings/33390/18k-diamond-eternity-band-from-ID-jewelry-online.html

The big bonus here is you have SO many options with your set. You could even find some cool vintage rings to stack. I think you said you were a size 6? (When you start to stack, you can go up a little in ring size too, as the stack will make things tighter).

I think a cool yellow gold carved band would look fabulous as well for a two tone look! (But I am currently biased the two tone direction) :)

twotone.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results