shape
carat
color
clarity

How much does florescence affect diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sparker

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I''m in the process of purchasing a diamond for my 25th anniversary. I have already come upon a diamond which is going to be sent shortly to me, and then came upon another from the same vendor that was a H&A, same size and clarity with a better Brilliance Scope measurement, but it had a medium florescence mentioned on the certifiction. Now I''m confused. There is most likely a price difference between the two with the latter one being more expensive and I''m working within a budget. The one I have purchased is a E, SI2, AGS 0 cut with good symmentry and very good polish. It is eye-clean from the top and priced at $4300.

My only question is about the florescence and its affect on the look and the value of a diamond.

Thanks for any input.

Suz

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Try a search here about fluorescence. Some of us prefer it!
2.gif
Medium blue should not be very noticeable at all, and also keep in mind that only UV light (nightclub, strong sunlight) makes the stone fluoresce. In office lighting, incandescent lighting, etc. it will not be visible. I'll attach a picture of my D w/medium blue fluor if I can find one.

sparker

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

Thanks for the fast input. I'll do a search and see what I get. If there is a negligible difference in price the new diamond I just found has more brilliance which we all want.

Suz

sparker

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I did a search and easily found out that fluorescence is IN! I'll have to find out what the price diffence is and if its within reason, the other diamond may be a better bet.

Thanks for you help.

Suz
1.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
An E color diamond will NEVER benefit from fluorescence. However, it may not look a bit different than one rated inert, none or negligible. The amount of eye-visible fluorescence in a diamond rated as Medium may be quite nominal or quite strong. The standards of grading fluorescent effects are very subjective and loose. The result of this is that no one can judge what the effect of this will have on the value of a particular diamond.

Look at the diamond in strong, direct, blue sky sunlight and see if it clouds up or loses some brilliancy. If it doesn't, then you have no problem at all. Do keep in mind the fact that many people and dealers will reject a diamond with fluorescence even without seeing it. This does cut the liquidity of the stone down some regardless of the real appearance. WHile liquidity has no present effect on you, someday you may wish to sell the diamond. That's when fluorescence may again, become a factor.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Not to disagree with someone who obviously knows one heck of a lot more than I do... but once upon a time (in the era of the great "blue-white") colorless stones with blue fluorescence were very sought after. I think they may someday make a comeback, as all fashionable things seem to do. HOWEVER, I would also not make a purchase with that expectation. Purchase it if you love how the stone looks, and because it's more brilliant than the other one, and if you happen to also think fluorescence is a cool thing, then that's an added bonus that will most likely never translate into resale value. Then again, nothing translates when it comes to reselling a diamond, apparently...
2.gif

sparker

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

Thanks for that feedback. As this is probably my last purchase of a diamond I do want it to be as good as I can afford. Both diamonds I'm looking at are E in color. One has a better cut, Hearts & Arrows. The other has a slightly off center table, with good proportions and very good polish. The inclusions in the off center tabled one seem a bit more, although they are both rated as SI2. Its the Brilliance Scope mearsurement that is very different and as I've been the owner of a only slight sparkly Princes cut diamond for 10 years, I really want a diamond that sparkles the second time around. I'm keeping any spare diamonds I have for my three sons. They'll probably have fiances that will reject them, though. I also have a nice sappire that I'm saving for someone, too. But I'm rambling.

Any way, thanks for the thoughts on selling diamonds. I don't think that is something I have to consider, but I'm getting the message that a E color diamond doesn't need the fluorence to look brighter. But look out for milkyness in bright sunshine. We have an absolutely brilliant day here in northern Michigan. Too bad I don't have the diamone yet.

Suz

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So... between two diamonds of the same breed (color D-F, clarity and cut), the one with fluorescence may be a tad discounted. This does not have a clear reason - as profesionally explained on this thread.

Besides, fluorescent diamodns are cool. Look down this LINK to see a couple show their mettle under UW
2.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Back before GIA terminology really caught on dealers regulary sold diamonds of G color and better and "Blue-White". Most of them were very nice color, but few had any tiny bit of "blue" anywhere in them. Finally the FTC make a rule that says that it is an illegal trade practice to offer a diamond as "blue-white" if it does not contain a tint of blue. This Blue does not refer to UV fluorescence, but strictly refers to actual body color of the stone. VERY FEW diamonds have any blue in them. They are most rare and unusual. This eliminated all the nonsense of the 50's and 60's where blue white terminology was the rage.

Blue UV fluorescence can improve the apparent color of diamonds in the I/L range under certain circumstances. They are not made blue-white by this effect, however.

There were diamonds available years ago that were called by the trade name "Premier" meaning they were quite white in body color AND had moderate to intense blue UV fluorescence. It was said they came from the Premier Mine in South Africa. No doubt, some of these premier stones did come from there and maybe many didn't. No one really knew or much cared. Things are much tighter now. I know that's difficult to believe, as loose as things still are, but it was wide open in the 60's compared to today.

I hope this gets the message across a in proper perspective.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 8/13/2004 1:37:21 PM oldminer wrote:

I hope this gets the message across a in proper perspective.----------------

Let's try...

The diplomatic message put bluntly says to me: the market is forever fickle - the hype of yesterday is no better (to say the least) than the hype of today.

In particular, if way back fluorescence did not affect price, it does not mean anything about diamonds or about the market now.
5.gif

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 8/13/2004 1:31:20 PM sparker wrote:

Hi,

I'm getting the message that a E color diamond doesn't need the fluorence to look brighter. But look out for milkyness in bright sunshine.
----------------

Exactly, you nailed it!
1.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
UV fluorescence always plays a part in the pricing of individual diamonds. It is just one of a myriad of haggling points which are considered and used when buying/selling a diamond between experts. Experts split hairs on the finest details. It does count.

What I was saying is that there was a time when the terminology "blue-white" was often used and abused. It is uncommon today to hear that term employed at all.

The diamond market is very solid and traditional. Fashion is what's fickle. Diamonds and diamond dealers chase after the fickle fashion scene and occasionally get to the right product in sufficient time to make it work. Most diamond products arrive after the fashion scene has already begun to change. Its the nature of fashion to be on the cutting edge. While diamonds pursue trends, they rarely set them.

My point was that the FTC had brought some manner of reason to mis-describing diamonds back in the 60's and that it still holds up today. There are many other games, but "blue-white" has long been a dead term.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
I was under the impression that colorless diamonds with blue fluor were the ones termed "blue-white"... Again, Dave, I'm not doubting you know about a gajillion and a half times more than I do about anything pertaining to diamonds. Everything I have learned, I've pretty much learned from PriceScope
2.gif
. So I went back and looked here, which is apparently where I got what I thought I knew about "blue-white" diamonds. I was aware about the FTC cracking down on the use of the term because it was abused, I think I might have learned that on the NiceIce website though
1.gif

Anyhow, this is very interesting. Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

dawn em

Rough_Rock
Hi, I have a 1.25 diamond that is a strong floresence. In my case, this has made the diamond sparkle. When my husband purchased the diamond for me I was ignorant of this aspect of a diamond. Of course, I got some education after the fact. My appraiser showed the diamond under the light thingy and it was really blue. I have heard that floresence can cause a milky appearance to a diamond. And I have also heard that having the floresence is a matter of taste.
wavey.gif

msbennie

Shiny_Rock
My first engagement ring was from Helzberg and a G/H color...don't know the cut but it had very high florescence. However, at the time, I didn't know that..just knew that whenever I looked at the diamond in direct sunlight, it was not clear...very milky. At the time, I didn't know a thing about florescence, except for light bulbs. So, I tried like heck to shine it while out, I would spit on it and rub it with a cloth....dipped it in the ring cleaner, got it steamed cleaned, whatever....but the milkiness did not go away. I no longer have that diamond. Recently purchased a "J" H&A with faint florescence and it is gorgeous. The first thing I did upon receipt of the diamond, was run outside an look at it in the sun...and it was not milky!! So, that's my experience with florescence.

sparker

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 8/13/2004 1:50:24 PM quaeritur wrote:

----------------

Hi,

I'm getting the message that a E color diamond doesn't need the fluorence to look brighter. But look out for milkyness in bright sunshine.
----------------

Exactly, you nailed it!
1.gif
----------------

----------------
On 8/13/2004 1:50:24 PM quaeritur wrote:

----------------

Hi,

----------------

Exactly, you nailed it!
1.gif
----------------

Hi

Just got my diamond from GOG and as luck would have it it is a beautiful clear northern Michigan day. I took it out into the direct sunlight and was practically blinded! It glowed with rainbows and the fluorescence came through as an enhancement. I love it. This diamond is a E si2 ags1 with really nice proportions. Jonathan was wonderful to work with I'm so excieted and can't wait to have it mounted.

Suzanne

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Woohooo!!! Congrats! Enjoy that sparkly glowy stone... and post PICTURES!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results