shape
carat
color
clarity

How long until the ring is ready?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
After searching more than 20 pages of results, I''m actually shocked that I couldn''t find the answer to this. But my question is this: once a setting is selected, how long does it take for a ring to be ready? And to be comprehensive, let''s put forth a few scenarios:

1) A ring that is made in-house at a B&M jeweler (the kind they show in their jewelry case...not custom)

2) A designer ring that is ordered

3) A semi-custom ring

4) A custom ring (including the time to do sketches, CADs, waxes, etc)

Many thanks in advance!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
it varies depending on the job, how complex it is, how many design revisions, how busy the company is...

In general, a stock setting can be done in a few days, sometimes 24 hours or less if its really necessary, your jeweler is not too busy, and they have the necessary parts and people available.

Not sure how long it takes to order a designer ring as I haven''t done this.

Semi custom depends how busy they are. I am having semi-custom earrings made by WF right now and they will take 10 bus. days

Custom-totally varies depending on complexity of design and number of design revisions...

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2010 11:48:08 PM
Author:AustenNut
After searching more than 20 pages of results, I''m actually shocked that I couldn''t find the answer to this. But my question is this: once a setting is selected, how long does it take for a ring to be ready? And to be comprehensive, let''s put forth a few scenarios:

1) A ring that is made in-house at a B&M jeweler (the kind they show in their jewelry case...not custom) Maybe a day or two if they literally have it in the shop in the size you need.

2) A designer ring that is ordered If it is ordered from a mass producing casting company, maybe a week, from Tacori or something like that, more like a month

3) A semi-custom ring A couple of weeks

4) A custom ring (including the time to do sketches, CADs, waxes, etc) A couple of months, depending on how long it takes for you to approve the sketches.

Many thanks in advance!
All of these times will be augmented by how busy the jeweler is. Add weeks in busy periods.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the guidelines. It was quite embarrassing when my boyfriend (who knows I visit a jewelry forum) was asking how long it would take for the e-ring to be made once we made a decision on one, and I just had a vague guess. Thanks for the help!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is no definite answer because the timing varies depending on the season (holidays and gift giving season), staffing level and also schedule of the vendor.
That said, there are approximations to expect.
1. In-house at B&M = anywhere from next day (if stock setting is available) to a few days (if needs to be made)
2. Depends on the designer. I’ve heard that some branded places are a lot quicker than others.
3. My experience is a few days to a few weeks.
4. Depends on how many revisions are required once the first CAD is seen. Depending on the complexity of the setting, CAD can take a day to a week. Once the CAD is finalized, production is anywhere from 4 days to 1 week. My Mahenge ring custom setting took several months from start to finish because I went through at least 3 revisions, then had the Thanksgiving/Xmas rush towards the end.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO longer than we want it to take.
9.gif

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the additional replies! When I went to the jeweler tonight they said that right now it was about 3 weeks for rings done in-house (they cast platinum & gold there) but that if I was interested in palladium it would take an extra week as they have to send that out. And this was for semi-custom work.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results