shape
carat
color
clarity

How important is the basket in a setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
So as I am shopping around and looking at rings, photos, etc. I am noticing the focus on the "basket" where the center stone sits. I''ve seen some beautiful baskets on here-some that look like flowers, one of yellow diamonds and some with small accent-type diamonds. My question is whether it''s more about how the basket looks to the wearer/viewer or whether the basket does something to enhance the way the stone looks. I am contemplating settings for a round stone, around 3 ct. I usually lean toward classic styles and prongs but I also like some of these gorgeous baskets and might be persuaded if a certain basket would make my stone look even more gorgeous!

What do you all think? Fyi, I''m considering a setting with some combination of either white gold or platinum and yellow gold.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
For the most part it is simply aesthetic. There are a few situations where the basket can enhance or detract from a center stone but mostly for colored stones (I am thinking of maybe a yellow diamond that has a yellow gold cup placed underneath in the basket to enhance the color).

Another situation is if the stone is poorly cut, as then the light won''t reflect properly and it might be more important to let light in on the sides.

As long as the stone is a well cut diamond, it shouldn''t matter what the basket looks like though.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results