shape
carat
color
clarity

How important is girdle thickness?

geisha_gyrl

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

I recently set out on the E-ring hunt. I've used the gemappraisers.com grade calculator to help figure out which diamonds are ideally cut. Well, I've run across some stones that would appear to be excellent - ideal cut with nice proportions that should fall in 1A or 1B but girdle thickness of very thick causes it to fall in 3A. Why does the girdle affect the grading to this degree? I've read that it should not affect the light performance. The only negative is some weight is loss. Thanks in advance for your info.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Often a very thick girdle will result in the diameter of the stone being smaller than it would be if there was not extra weight in the girdle area. So you wouldn't want to pay for a 1 ct. diamond that looked like a .80, or whatever.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Geisha,
What shaped diamonds are you looking at?

Personally I find any chart claiming to grade diamonds based on things like girdle thickness to be misleading.
Have you seen the diamond in question?

geisha_gyrl

Shiny_Rock
I'm looking at oval diamonds. I have not seen the diamonds personally. Right now, I'm searching through inventories of some of the PS featured jewelers. I found a what would appear to be a nice 1.14 ct G VS2. It's within the ideal depth and table % but it's girdle is very thick. I can see where the added weight raises the price. It's not a bad price but there are other diamonds that are 1.05 that cost a few hundred less. So, to be clear, the girdle would not affect the brilliance of the diamond? Thank you both for your quick replies!

geisha_gyrl

Shiny_Rock
On the particular diamond in question, it doesn't seem to affect its spread much. It's very comparable to other diamonds of the same size with preferred girdle thickness. So, I guess, it's only to raise the price tag. You are right; I shouldn't pay the extra bucks. Thanks for the info.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results