shape
carat
color
clarity

How high of a setting is too high? How high is yours?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ICAA

Rough_Rock
I had some renderings done of a custom engagement ring. I received very positive and useful feedback on the ring. In particular there was much discussion over the setting being too high possibly. I did get it lowered slightly, 1 or 2 mm based on that feedback.

So, that lead to my questions, how high is too high and how high is your setting?
33.gif

I calculated the height of the ring to be from the top of the finger to the top of the table on the centre stone. I think it would also be useful to have some basic information on the ring such as size of ring, carat size of centre stone and height of setting as calculated above. This thread is meant to be a compilation of actual heights, comments and other useful tips for any future engagement ring buyers who are dealing with this issue as I am right now.
34.gif

I will start, based on the renderings I had made up.
1.gif

Ring Size: 4.25
Centre Stone: 1.0 carat round brilliant
Height: 6 mm

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I''m one of those who prefers a higher setting, but a lot depends on the depth of the stone.

Ring size: 5.75
Center diamond: 2.07 ct pear
Height: 8 mm

DiamondLil

ICAA

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/10/2005 8:21:35 AM
Author: Feydakin
From a ''purely'' technical stand point,when I design I tend to draw the stones with teh culet 1mm above the finger.. That sets the center height of the center stone and then everything is built from there.. This is anot a 1005 hard and fast rule, but that''s where I start drawing from..

If the design calls for it, or it just looks better, I will raise it up to make room for other details.. Afte that it''s all taste and style up to an extreme point on th ehigh end..
Interesting. In my setting the centre stone has a depth of approximately 4 mm. The culet will be approximately 2 mm above the finger. I guess when talking mm, one or two won''t make that much difference.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
A couple of mm did make a big difference in my ring. I just had mine lowered from about 10mm to 8 mm (finger to top) and it is much better. I wouldn''t even mind it slightly higher. It''s a 5.38mm deep stone, set in a slightly cathedral style setting. Maybe you can try some different settings on to get a good feel for what seems right on your hand.

ICAA

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/10/2005 10:38:17 AM
Author: Feydakin
Yes, 1mm is a HUGE difference in jewelry.. I try to get within .25mm when designing.. But, a 1mm difference can be huge.. Like I said, I like to start at 1 to 2mm above the finger and work out from there.. Most of our clients prefer low settings, so I try to use that as a restriction.. But, if the design calls for it, like a ring I''m working on now, the culet can be 4 or 5 mm above the finger to start with..
Knowing that you generally start 1-2 mm above the finger gives me comfort because, as I mentioned above, in my design the culet is 2 mm above the finger.

I was curious if you could take a look at the renderings that I linked in the original post and comment on the design. I am always looking for practical improvements, suggestions, etc. In particular, I was curious to hear comments on the prong length.

ICAA

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/10/2005 10:28
6.gif
7 AM
Author: lop
A couple of mm did make a big difference in my ring. I just had mine lowered from about 10mm to 8 mm (finger to top) and it is much better. I wouldn''t even mind it slightly higher. It''s a 5.38mm deep stone, set in a slightly cathedral style setting. Maybe you can try some different settings on to get a good feel for what seems right on your hand.
That sounds like quite the stunner you have there! Do you find that at 8 mm above the finger you catch it or bump your ring into things much?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ICAA, all ring on this site come with measurements (diameter and depth). You might want to take a look for clues.

On my size 3 finger: 5mm feels "low" and 10mm "heavy" regardless of design. The size of the hand must make some difference, but I think tapered (where some elements tapers from the highest to the lowest point, like the Cartier solitaire or any ring with sidestones, like yours) designs allow more height (still 7-8mm, say) without feeling heavy or spinning.

For ref about those 1-2mm below culet... 2mm is the thickness of a wedding band, although the "lightweight" ones might be 1mm or so. Small eternity bands are about 3mm thick and need a bit of getting used to, especially on a small finger.

Hope this helps.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
9mm from finger to top. It's .86ct RB My ringsize is 5.5

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
Mine is set as low as possible. It''s the main reason I went the custom route. I couldn''t find a pre-made setting that was as low as I wanted.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2005 11:43:37 AM
Author: ICAA

Date: 2/10/2005 10:28
6.gif
7 AM
Author: lop
That sounds like quite the stunner you have there! Do you find that at 8 mm above the finger you catch it or bump your ring into things much?
In the reviised, 8mm setting, it actually looks and feels fairly low. It''s a sizeable stone (2.52 ctw), so it''s all relative, but lowering it the 2mm seems to have solve the spinning problem I had and I don''t catch it or bash it on things at all. At 10mm it always felt like it was somewhat of a projectile. That is gone now with the lower head. DH thinks it looks smaller (not that that matters), but I don''t notice that.

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
I think I like a bit higher setting too. Of course my ring's design almost requires it because of the basket under the prongs.

Ring size: 7
Center diamond: 2.19 marquise
Height: 10 mm from finger

eng1.jpg
newringside.jpg

ICAA

Rough_Rock
style="WIDTH: 99%; HEIGHT: 72px">Date: 2/10/2005 1:53:23 PM
Author: valeria101

ICAA, all ring on this site come with measurements (diameter and depth). You might want to take a look for clues.

You seem to have links, pictures and some tips for everything! I think you spend too much time on here! Of course, that is fine by me because you have been extremely helpful.
36.gif

On my size 3 finger: 5mm feels 'low' and 10mm 'heavy' regardless of design. The size of the hand must make some difference, but I think tapered (where some elements tapers from the highest to the lowest point, like the Cartier solitaire or any ring with sidestones, like yours) designs allow more height (still 7-8mm, say) without feeling heavy or spinning.

I was talking to my jeweller this afternoon and we talked about the height. He was reluctant to give me a specific height but at the same time, we talked about my preference for the height to be 6-7 mm, 8 mm the highest I would like, and he was comfortable with that.

For ref about those 1-2mm below culet... 2mm is the thickness of a wedding band, although the 'lightweight' ones might be 1mm or so. Small eternity bands are about 3mm thick and need a bit of getting used to, especially on a small finger.

On my design, in the under gallery area, the part of the shank that runs against the finger is quite fine. The bezels will provide substantial support to the design as well, allowing for that part to be thin. I think this will all come together. Its just a substantial cash outlay and I would hate to have the setting not be perfect because of some overlooked detail.
40.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2005 3
6.gif
8:13 PM
Author: ame
9mm from finger to top. It''s .86ct RB My ringsize is 5.5
Ame, is your head the Stuller solstice low head? That sounds high to me.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
YEs but I had it set up higher in the ring which is also really deep (almost 3mm deep). I am actually considering getting the medium put in. I need a price on that first.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was pretty shocked myself. I had someone else measure for me after I couldnt believe my eyes

ICAA

Rough_Rock
ame - It sounds like this thread got you thinking! Sorry if I am going to cause you to spend money! Thanks for sharing your info on your ring. Did you have and side profile shots that show the height?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/10/2005 9:18:47 PM

You seem to have links, pictures and some tips for everything!
I think you spend too much time on here..
Well, so do I... but it''s hard to quit !
9.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can post some when I get home this evening. I don''t have them with me at work unfortunately.

I am figuring that the change won''t be very expensive.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
I have a .75 RB, ring size 6.75. Its about 6.5mm from finger to the top of the setting.

When i was first looking at rings, i wanted something that was set as low as possible. Its one of the highest i looked at (and even thought it was too high), but i havent had too many problems. I very rarely bump it into things and love the height now... i think its perfect.

nice_sides.jpg
top_bentfinger.jpg

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Okay, this is a terrible shot of my old head but it's the only one I could find that shows how high it was.

I don't know how high it was in mms.

.93 stone, size 5.25

Patty

Ideal_Rock
This is the new head.

From my measurement the new head is about 9mms up from the bottom of the band.

.95c diamond, size 5.5 ring

Patty

Ideal_Rock
This shows the height of my Vatche 3 stone ring. According to my measurement, it's 6mms off the finger.

1.35c diamond, sapphires total 1.52, ring size 5.25

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Patty I called both V and G jewelers and both quote me 150 though G goes to 200 when they are forced to use platinum.

They simply refuse to use Platinum! I don''t get that. They keep trying to tell me I need a white gold head instead of Platinum. I guess Ill let V do this part and then if I need things tightened Ill go back to G.

Goodlord.

I wonder how much higher itll be with the medium.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Ame, when I switched heads, I remember my jeweler measured how high mine was and then told me the different heights of the Solstice...the medium and the low. I remember that even the medium Solstice was going to be noticably lower than my high head, but I didn''t pay attention to the mms he was throwing out...darn!

I paid $230 I believe for the low 4-prong platinum head and the platinum bezels around the surprise stone.

I love my jeweler and I''ll give you his number if you want but he''s currently running at about 4 weeks for jobs.
8.gif

I still think about getting rid of the bezel surprise stones and going with a 6 prong medium solstice head, lol.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Okay, here is one more terrible picture, but it shows how much lower the new head is.

(approx. 9mms from finger to top) Size 5.5, diamond .95c

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know Mario at V told me its not a problem. I just don''t want to have issues with the work.

ICAA

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/11/2005 9:54
6.gif
7 AM
Author: valeria101

Date: 2/10/2005 9:18:47 PM

You seem to have links, pictures and some tips for everything!
I think you spend too much time on here..
Well, so do I... but it''s hard to quit !
9.gif
Actually, since I began my quest to make "the one" for my girlfriend, I spend way too much time on here too. I need to get out more!
19.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I was at my jeweler''s today. The Solstice head for a stone of approx. 3/4c or 7/8c is:

Low: 6.25 mms
Medium: 7.0 mms.
High: 7.75 mms.

He said that the 4 prong does not come in the high head and the 6 prong does not come in low head.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Guess my setting is pretty low.

I have a six prong and I swear it''s 6-6.25 mm''s

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results