shape
carat
color
clarity

How did you discover old cuts - AVR, OEC, French cuts, etc.?

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
This question is for fun but I am very curious, how did you develop your love for various old cut diamonds and what do you love about them? I never even heard of AVRs, OECs, French Cut diamonds (and more) before Pricescope! The majority of jewelery stores in my area are chains and I am guessing you aren't going to find these diamonds at Zales or Helzberg. So, I haven't seen these cuts in person but pictures on this forum have made me intrigued! Where do you find these wonderful cut stones to know you want one? On-line or antique stores?

I am a new PS member but I have been reading this forum for a while now. Fortunately (or unfortunately for my husband) I have developed a fascination for diamonds, maybe an obsession.... :naughty: Is this the right forum to post this question on?

Maybe next year I could join to Vegas GTG to meet all the wonderful people on this forum and see some of your old cuts in person! :twirl:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: How did you discover old cuts - AVR, OEC, French cuts, e

Hi Tweeter! :wavey: Welcome!

I found PriceScope when choosing an engagement ring stone. I was always into colored stones, and knew nothing about diamonds. I looked at a bunch of stones and decided that AVCs were the most unique and beautiful. So my journey started with an AVC. Then I went to a gem and jewelry show (Intergem) when it came to the area. There I fell in love with OECs and OMCs. Soon after I traded the AVC for an OEC, and my diamond exploration journey continues.

As for french cuts, that's whole other saga. I first saw them on PS, they are so rare in real life! Rare but beautiful :love:

To see these diamonds, estate jewelry shops are a good place to start. Or the Intergem show. Although perhaps the PS GTG is the best place to see the BEST stones!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have always loved antique rings, but I rarely had the opportunity to see them. I came to PS 7 years ago when looking for a new diamond ring for our anniversary. I learned everything I know about diamonds here, thankfully just enough to make a good choice before we purchased! I started out with a Good Old Gold regular hearts and arrows round brilliant, but along the way I changed that stone for another and am NOW getting an AVR! Being a member of PS means that trade-in policies are a good thing! :lol: But I would have never seen the variety of stones you are talking about had I not come here. It is an expensive hobby, though!!! We are happy to have you join us!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock

I have always liked diamonds and wanted a solitaire or eternity (Rod Stewart style). i only knew them round or square! I started getting more serious once i got a nice refund cheque from the tax man, in sept 2012... still new at this.

as i was searching through google images of diamonds, one ring popped out of the screen! yes, it literally popped out of the screen. that lead me to PS. i am now an owner of an asscher solitaire (my avatar). i think that is where it all started. it was kinda antique like and then my fascination with diamonds increased significantly. Through PS i started to see different shapes and colours of diamonds and then when i saw an OEC....i said, that is going to be the next one!!

I like AVR as well, but i think the history of the OEC, draws me to it more than an AVR. HOwever, i will say yes, if you gave me one!

For me, the splintery/ glittery effects of the modern round brilliants (MRB) did not do as much for me as the broad, chunky facets of the OECs, and i guess the step cuts- asschers and carre and emerald cuts give that broad chunky flash of light ' similar to the OECs'.
French cuts are another cut of diamond that i like...

I think it is all about the cut of diamond. either the broad chunky style or the splintery effect.

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks for the thoughtful responses!

GemFever – Thanks for the welcome! I will have to check out the Intergem show to see if it comes to my area and estate jewelry shops. I could see colored stones being a new project too!

Diamondseeker2006 – I love the AVR you just got (I think you still plan to keep this one) and of course I never think a diamond can be too big! :love: I can’t wait to see the setting you pick, any thoughts right now?

Gregchang35 – Hmmm, I will have to check out the history of the OEC…that is interesting…and enjoy your search!

When picking out my ring style for my current project, I had the ring with antique french cut side stones by VC, SC and LM as a close 2nd. I really like the chunky facets on them. My fear was I had never seen the diamonds in person to see how they would perform in different lightings. Maybe someday!

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I love anything antique or old so when I shop (unless it's clothes) I usually shop antique or consignment stores. I was in an antique store one day and they had the most gorgeous diamond ring. It was just throwing off a rainbow of colors. I couldn't afford the ring but it lead to a discussion with the store owner about why that ring was so amazing and she told me it was an antique cut. That was years ago and I've always had that diamond in the back of my mind.

Fast forward a few years and I was on ebay looking for antique crystal goblets to match the ones my grandmother left me and I "wandered" into the estate jewelry section. (oh look, a shiny thing!) I saw a listing for an OMC ring that the seller described as super sparkling and the price was right so I bought it. That ring isn't very big but it really does have some amazing sparkle and the craftsmanship is unbelievable.

Since then I've purchased an OEC and love it too!

So I guess I discovered old cuts completely by accident and now I need a breathalizer on my ebay account.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock

Hello!

I learned about antique cuts through PS while researching for my e-ring. And I'm SOOOO grateful that I came across PS. I felt very meh/blah about MRBs, not excited at all. Then I started reading posts about OECs, OMC etc and WOW! My brain was on fire. I've always been an antique/vintage type of gal when it comes to jewelry so the idea of antique cuts was right up my alley. Suddenly, searching for a diamond was MUCH more interesting. Currently I have an OEC as my centre stone for my e-ring and then a little baby .3 OEC which I intend for a pendant.

Funny thing I've noticed in my antique cut education is my preferences shift as I learn...when I first started out, I thought transitional were so-so but as my eyes become better trained, I'm hopping on board the tranny train. Can't wait to get my hot little hands on one.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock

I grew up loving the old cuts from my family, but they were typically considered lesser cuts. MRBs were, and maybe still are, king.
It has taken me a while to understand and articulate what I like about these old cuts. (I found PS when I decided I wanted a diamond from my husband to wear in place of my eternity band.)
I'm not an antique lover in general, and I'm not drawn to period pieces necessarily, but I do enjoy good design.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I blame PS.

I always knew I liked antiques, but I didn't get cut-specific - french cut over carre! transitional over OMC! - until I started seeing all of these glorious close-ups. This is a good thread! It made me wrack my brain to think back to figure out exactly how I got so obsessed.

When it comes to french cuts, I think I stumbled into it backwards. Initially, I was looking for a baguette band ... and then I wound up with a carre band ... and then as I was frantically double-checking to make sure I'd paid a fair price, I stumbled across my first french cut band. A carat and a half! For $800, or thereabouts! AND I PASSED IT UP, because it was a little battered, and I'd just gotten the carre band, and I figured I'd just get another next time.

Ha.

Ha.

Ha.

took me two more years of frantic searching to find one, and I kept falling more and more in love as people - Harriet, LGK, LovingWarm Diamonds, just to name a few off the top of my head - kept posting their beautiful french cut pieces. Finally managed to find one. And then a watch. And then another, skinny one. I may be addicted.

The bigger stones ... I think that was just a cumulative process, but I think I blame Haven for the original desire for a BIG, WARM, OLD stone. Continue to adore her ring. :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results