shape
carat
color
clarity

How Closely do Diamonds have to Match for Studs???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sslkrissi

Shiny_Rock
Hello,
I am starting a new thread for this question b/c I haven't been able to find any existing threads that answer my question. I am sure it has been brought up before, but I just can't find it. Anyhow, I am trying to figure out eactly how close do two diamonds need to match to be considereda suitable pair for making diamond stud earrings. There are two diamonds that I am considering from WF and two from JA. I was already told by JA that the two from them will match just fine for earrings, but I haven't asked WF about their two yet. Do you think they would match?

WF
#1 ES .588 G VS2, 5.42-5.43x3.32, Depth 61.2, Table 54.9
ETA: http://whiteflash.com/round/Round-cut-diamond-346612.htm

#2 ACA .577 E SI2, 5.39-5.40x3.29, Depth 60.9, Table 56
ETA: http://whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-16509.htm

JA
#1 H&A .60 F SI1, 5.44-5.49x3.35, Depth 61.5, Table 55.9
ETA: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1060530.asp

#2 H&A .61 E SI1, 5.45-5.48x3.38, Depth 61.7, Table 53.9
ETA: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1060534.asp

Ideally, I would look to go a little bigger, by dropping down to G in color for both stones and either SI1 or SI2, but I can't seem to find many available. In case any one knows of anything better, please let me know.

Thanks a bunch
21.gif

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Conventional wisdom for this size is diameter within 0.1mm which all of these are. Also I like to keep the tables within 1-2%. Remember that 0.6x usually gets a small per-carat premium over 0.5x, in the neighborhood of 10%.

dunndeal

Rough_Rock
Hi sslkrissi,

I usually try to keep them within one color and clarity grade. And our tolerance for the diameter meaurment is plus or minus 1.5% and the depth and table pertcentage variance can be plus or minus 3.5%. (example: to match a 60% table we would allow anything from a 58% to a 62% table). There are no real industry standards when it comes to this but these are our internal guideines when it comes to non-commercial diamonds. I hope this helps!

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/2/2007 12:35:02 PM
Author: dunndeal
our tolerance for...table pertcentage variance can be plus or minus 3.5%
With all else equal, there will be a fairly obvious difference in two stones with 54% and 57% tables. At least to my eye.

It's not the popular suggestion here but you might also have a look at Blue Nile - they have several stones with AGSL DQDs in this size.

On one of the JA stones, ask someone to make sure the feather + crystal under the table isn't an issue. It's prominent in the plot but I expect it's a non-issue.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

I wouldn't go two color grades difference. For earrings, you'd want to have a nearly identical match. For reference, here are the stones I bought:

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Matching_Compare.aspx?oldID=292635&newID=231920#

Their numbers are almost the same.

The first pair you chose has two color grades difference, so I'd pass on that set. I didn't realize the second pair has a 2% difference for the table! I would search around a bit more. When I was looking I found a great pair of I VS2s that I decided against getting because of the slight difference in the table. For the amount you're planning to spend, it'd be worth taking your time.

Have you called vendors to see what they have on hand?

sslkrissi

Shiny_Rock
I know, the color difference is what really has me worried. I have just put in an email to Bob at WF to ask him about the possibility of matching these two. We''ll see what he says. Hopefully the G is closer to an F than an H, and the E is closer to an F than a D. Maybe then it wouldn''t be that noticable.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
One reason I decided to stay w/in the same color grade was that I was concerned that even in the same grade, one stone would lean more toward a higher or lower color. What if one of the F stones I got was closer to an E and the other was closer to a G? They would still appear to be nearly the same.

sslkrissi

Shiny_Rock
OK, well I just got an email back from WF. The answer from them was that the color difference between the E and the G can only be seen if you hold them together and look through the sides. Even then it is difficult to see. Lastly, they say that no one, including me will be able to see the difference when they are in my ears. They didnt mention anything else that would indicate that they dont match, but I am going to verify that before I pull the trigger on this purchase.

sslkrissi

Shiny_Rock
Last update... I just asked whether the differences in diameter, depth and table size will be noticeable, and the answer is no. So, I am thinking that these are the ones!!! I am a little worried about the color, but I guess I will see in person when I order them. Hopefully, I will be happy with the size also. I originally wanted a 1.5 ctw set, but sson realized that they are much more expensive than I had thought.

Thanks for all the help and I will be sure to post pictures when I get them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results