shape
carat
color
clarity

How careful do I need to be with diamond ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
My fiance & I picked up my engagement ring from the jewelers this weekend. It''s a Michael B 3 sided pave with radiant. I got to wear it for a couple of hours before giving it back him so he can plan a "real" proposal in the next couple of weeks. But as I was wearing it I was really noticing that as I opened doors or even put my hand down on the table the ring was touching things...so I was getting a bit paranoid about chipping/scratching the setting or the diamond itself. So, my question is how careful do I have to be to avoid damage? Obviously I won''t wear it when doing gardening etc. but will every day stuff like opening doors or hitting the headboard damage it?

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Normal daily activities should not damage your rings. I do think that it''s wise to remove them when you are working in the kitchen. They will be safer that way and they will stay much cleaner too!

I do not recommend washing your ring in the washing machine and putting it through the dryer like I accidentally did this weekend. But even that did not damage my ring...whew!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Patty--I read your washing machine story after I posted my question. Glad to know it came out ok. I could tell just from the little bit I had the ring on that I am going to be super paranoid for awhile. Good tip on the kitchen too. I am thinking of getting some pretty little boxes to put in my bedroom, bathroom & kitchen so my ring (s) always have a safe place to be. Has anyone seen any cute small boxes?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
HAHA!

I have had my ring for almost a year and I am still neurotic about it and constantly checking for chips or whatever. So far nothing has been found. Just make sure you have it insured properly so that you can have it replaced should it need to be.

I use Chubb for that.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Well, I''m glad I''m not alone in being neurotic. I did get insurance coverage before we picked it up.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2005 9:52:58 AM
Author: Patty
Normal daily activities should not damage your rings. I do think that it''s wise to remove them when you are working in the kitchen. They will be safer that way and they will stay much cleaner too!

I do not recommend washing your ring in the washing machine and putting it through the dryer like I accidentally did this weekend. But even that did not damage my ring...whew!
Patty''s been trying to get Hubby to get her a Sonic Jewelry cleaner for a while now. Some people will do anything for attention. (Just kidding!!)
2.gif
9.gif
11.gif

I noticed that after I wore my ring for a while, I didn''t hit it as much. It''s like you have to get used to the metal being there at the start. Once you grow accustom to it, your hand will automatically make allowances for the ring and provide the appropriate amount of space.

I''d recommend not doing yard work or gardening with your ring on as well. Any type of grunge work where you might get into abrasive conditions prompt me to take my ring off and put it up for the time being.
1.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I take crazy pills now.

I use a ring box and I carry the smallest one with me all the time just in case.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2005 9:13:50 AM
Author:IslandDreams
So, my question is how careful do I have to be to avoid damage? Obviously I won''t wear it when doing gardening etc. but will every day stuff like opening doors or hitting the headboard damage it?

I don''t sleep in mine because Im wild in bed (woo!) and Ill bang it off the nightstand wall or window ledge. I am really careful about hitting it off things, and even my desk, I check it immediately. Im sure opening the door won''t be too bad.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
PQ, you are right about getting used to it and automatically making allowances for it. Within a very short time of getting my engagement ring, I discovered a fairly large crack in the gold on the bottom of the band. It looked like someone had tried to saw through the band. It was a 4mm fairly thick band. I don''t know how I did it but I''d never been used to wearing a ring before. It did not bother me, though. I used to put my thumbnail in it to straighten my ring.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2005 2:22:47 PM
PQ, you are right about getting used to it and automatically making allowances for it. Within a very short time of getting my engagement ring, I discovered a fairly large crack in the gold on the bottom of the band. It looked like someone had tried to saw through the band. It was a 4mm fairly thick band. I don''t know how I did it but I''d never been used to wearing a ring before. It did not bother me, though. I used to put my thumbnail in it to straighten my ring.
ROFL, Patty!! You are too funny!! No wonder you use the washing machine and dryer to clean your jewelry!!
2.gif
9.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2005 2:27
6.gif
9 PM
Author: pqcollectibles

Date: 2/14/2005 2:22:47 PM
PQ, you are right about getting used to it and automatically making allowances for it.  Within a very short time of getting my engagement ring, I discovered a fairly large crack in the gold on the bottom of the band.  It looked like someone had tried to saw through the band.  It was a 4mm fairly thick band.  I don''t know how I did it but I''d never been used to wearing a ring before.  It did not bother me, though.  I used to put my thumbnail in it to straighten my ring. 
ROFL, Patty!! You are too funny!! No wonder you use the washing machine and dryer to clean your jewelry!!
2.gif
9.gif
You know, it never occured to me to try to get it fixed or anything. It did not seem to affect the integrity of the ring, so I was okay with it.

Now you how I can live with I-1 stones, lol.

I do NOT advise anyone here, though, to store your rings in the change compartment of your wallet. THAT will really scratch them up.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Would it be ok for my ring to "sleep" in the cleaning solutions that jewelrs give you every night?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results