shape
carat
color
clarity

How big is too big for my finger?

CushionCutie

Rough_Rock
This is a kind of awkward question but i've been contemplating my center stone size. My finger is a size 5. I thought I wanted a 5ct cushion because I wanted a ROCK on my finger but both a friend and my sister that I've spoken to have said that it would look gaudy and should go smaller. In fact, I got a little bling-happy and was actually going to go bigger than 5ct but decided that's too big for every day wear. I was planning to put it into a simple feminine setting, no halo, but now i'm thinking is 5ct still too big?? Please give me your honest opinion. I feel a little ridiculous asking this but I just don't want to make a mistake :(

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CushionCutie|1338340549|3205854 said:
This is a kind of awkward question but i've been contemplating my center stone size. My finger is a size 5. I thought I wanted a 5ct cushion because I wanted a ROCK on my finger but both a friend and my sister that I've spoken to have said that it would look gaudy and should go smaller. In fact, I got a little bling-happy and was actually going to go bigger than 5ct but decided that's too big for every day wear. I was planning to put it into a simple feminine setting, no halo, but now i'm thinking is 5ct still too big?? Please give me your honest opinion. I feel a little ridiculous asking this but I just don't want to make a mistake :(
aren't you asking the wrong crowd?... :Up_to_something: :lol:

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Uhhhh....whatever you are comfortable with wearing every day. Only you can decide what is a good size for you.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Don't go by weight, go by mm size. I mentioned this on another thread today - by my lights, a stone the width of my nailbed looks smashing. With a round, this leaves me around 8-9 mm, which is to say 2-3 carats. With a cushion, since they're cut deep ... let's say that leaves us around 3.5 to 4.5 carats? And if it's an elongated, rectangular cushion ... :lickout:

Bottom line, get the thing that makes you happy. After all, you are the one wearing it, not your sister, and not your friend, right? Go and try things on, and go from there. A hypothetical 5 carat is, well, hypothetical. A 2 carat, or 6 carat, or 12 carat that you're madly in love with and can't get out of your head? Totally worth a little eye-rolling from those around you if it will make your eyes light up. :bigsmile:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Time to go test drive a few...take pictures and when you come back we can all confirm 5 cts is fabulous on you!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'd consider your lifestyle in trying to decide if it would work for everyday wear. If work with your hands, wear gloves or are say a social worker, yes, way too big. If you're in a place where huge rocks are not completely uncommon and you feel comfortable, then perhaps it's fine.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
I agree to go try some on!! Take some photos and share them. I am a size 5 but have not, and probably will never catch a glimpse of a 5ct. diamond, so I don't have any helpful advice other than that.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the only mistake you can make is to buy a stone that is right for your friend or sister and not for yourself.

Take pictures of the stones you're considering on your hand and share them here. We'd love to give you some feedback!

fridays_child

Shiny_Rock
alene|1338343488|3205886 said:
I'd consider your lifestyle in trying to decide if it would work for everyday wear. If work with your hands, wear gloves or are say a social worker, yes, way too big. If you're in a place where huge rocks are not completely uncommon and you feel comfortable, then perhaps it's fine.

+1 I agree, this is good advice. And going by mm spread instead of carat weight, that is good advice too. I do think that too big does exist. Definitely go try some rings on and find your sweet spot of large w/out being over the top. I have a 4 3/8 finger, and i'm on the smaller side (5' 4", small frame) and I went to several stores to try on different sizes. For me and my taste, anything over 9mm was too blingy. Good luck deciding!

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
I have a double halo that measures 14mm, which I think looks substantial yet not too over the top for my height and size 6 RHR. With solitaire, I think 10mm would be my limit :)

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
@CushionCutie, please please please post hand shots (lots of them, close up and far) once you've got your ring :love:

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I agree that it's time to go for a test drive. But if you really want finger coverage and your concerned that one large solitaire may be too much, consider a three stone. It will give you a lot more bling and for your buck. I think a 2.5ct center and 1ct sides would be dreamy! :love:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Christina...|1338371677|3206007 said:
I agree that it's time to go for a test drive. But if you really want finger coverage and your concerned that one large solitaire may be too much, consider a three stone. It will give you a lot more bling and for your buck. I think a 2.5ct center and 1ct sides would be dreamy! :love:

yummy!!! That would be BLINDING! 8-)

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
At the risk of being the lone voice of dissension, I had a large ring (5+ tcw) and it was too much for me. I was uncomfortable wearing it and decided to go with something a bit more understated. If you're not going to be comfortable wearing a 5ct rock, don't do it....I thought maybe after a bit of time, I'd get used to it, but I didn't and ended up trading it in. I love the idea of a 2.5 ct. center and 1 ct. sides...that would be AMAZING!! :love:

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Hi yenny, could you please link to a pic of your big stone ?
I think I remember seeing it and being suitably impressed !!!! :love: :love: :love:

That said, I really think size is personal...
I have size 7 finger, and my stone-halo combo is 10 mm across
and in NO WAY does it look big to me....

I would def go bigger if I could afford it :sun:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ooo~Shiney!|1338380340|3206052 said:
Hi yenny, could you please link to a pic of your big stone ?
I think I remember seeing it and being suitably impressed !!!! :love: :love: :love:

That said, I really think size is personal...
I have size 7 finger, and my stone-halo combo is 10 mm across
and in NO WAY does it look big to me....

I would def go bigger if I could afford it :sun:

Here ya go.... :)) For cutie's benefit, this is a 3.5 ct. cushion with .50 ct. trap side stones

resizedringnew.jpg

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
A few of us recently posted our rings on our (roughly) size 5 fingers (including Yenny's current ring!): [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-size-5-5-25-or-5-5-please.175619/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-size-5-5-25-or-5-5-please.175619/[/URL] Some of the 2-3 carat stones in that thread look pretty huge to me.

For the OP, though, I think you really need to try on a 5 carat cushion and decide if that's something you can wear every day for your job, lifestyle, etc. As long as you love it and can afford it without going into debt, and your other financial obligations are met, I don't see why you can't have it.

Gypsy recently asked if anyone had changed feelings about their e-ring, and I think only one person (Tacori e-Ring) said her ring was too large to wear regularly: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/have-you-had-a-change-of-feelings-about-your-e-ring.175586/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/have-you-had-a-change-of-feelings-about-your-e-ring.175586/[/URL] I believe she works with a lower-income population.

I once tried on a 5 carat round brilliant and felt like I was wearing a ring pop! :lol:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1338341966|3205872 said:
a stone the width of my nailbed looks smashing.

nom nomz. I'm a bigger-is-better kinda gal. But yes, go with something you'd be comfortable with :)

CushionCutie

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much everyone for your replies, it's helping me a lot!

I really should go by mm vs carat, so that's what I will do.

Thanks for the picture Jenny! The reason why I want a solitaire is because my current ring is a multiple stone one and it's too much for me. That thing is like a blinged out Eiffel tower on my finger. I'm not kidding: http://s1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj565/LittleLuxie/?action=view&current=ringstarbucks.mp4
So I prefer just one big stone on a thin band. DH on the other hand thinks the more bling the merrier :shock:

I'm going to go try on some rings and will report back!! <3

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's too big when: a. Even though you like the way it looks on your hand, you don't feel comfortable wearing it every day or very often and b. When you receive too many comments about how huge it is and instead of feeling proud and happy you feel weird and uncomfortable :))

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
natyLad|1338388025|3206101 said:
I think it's too big when: a. Even though you like the way it looks on your hand, you don't feel comfortable wearing it every day or very often and b. When you receive too many comments about how huge it is and instead of feeling proud and happy you feel weird and uncomfortable :))
i wanna feel weird!!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
CushionCutie|1338387388|3206099 said:

Thanks for the picture Jenny! The reason why I want a solitaire is because my current ring is a multiple stone one and it's too much for me. That thing is like a blinged out Eiffel tower on my finger. I'm not kidding: http://s1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj565/LittleLuxie/?action=view&current=ringstarbucks.mp4
So I prefer just one big stone on a thin band. DH on the other hand thinks the more bling the merrier :shock:

That's a lot of rock! If that's too much for you, why do you feel that you'll be comfortable wearing an even larger solitaire? Just curious. ;))

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1338396410|3206170 said:
That's a lot of rock! If that's too much for you, why do you feel that you'll be comfortable wearing an even larger solitaire? Just curious. ;))
From what I can tell from that video (it looks very fuzzy on my screen,) that setting is HUGE. The band looks thick enough that it forces CushionCutie's fingers apart. Your original setting was really hefty too, Yenny, and I feel like hefty and blingy settings affect the ring's bling-factor far more than a large solitaire.

My original stone was a tad smaller than my upgrade, but because the original stone was set in an eternity band, it looked far more substantial. My upgrade is a plain solitaire and it is so much less noticeable in terms of size and blinginess. (Technical term, of course.)

I work with a woman who wears what is easily a 5 ct emerald-cut solitaire. It is a beautiful solitaire, and while it's large, it doesn't look gaudy or super noticeable. Another colleague of mine wears an RB that's probably not even 2 cts, but that sucker is in an enormous setting--the band has two rows of princess cuts channel set that are as thick as the center stone. That is definitely one showy ring, far showier than the 5 ct solitaire, even though the center stone is so much smaller.

I think CushionCutie needs to try on some of these large stones she's considering and take a lot of shots for us. We need handshots!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1338393201|3206141 said:
natyLad|1338388025|3206101 said:
i wanna feel weird!!

Hehehe DF ;))

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

For sure try on some rings. If you do go w/a 5 ct, though, possibly look into getting a back-up ring that you can wear at times where you may not feel comfortable with your larger stone (like if you're at the gym or gardening, etc., where you wanna have a ring on, but don't want to worry about damaging your larger stone).

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As many have already chimed in, trying it on for size and knowing how comfortable you will be wearing it on a daily basis helps.

As a word of caution, DSS sets in fairly quickly - what might look large to you now might look "average" in a few weeks or months. I for one tried on a 6 carat Harry Winston cushion halo on my size 3ish fingers, and I actually don't think that it is too big for my finger at all! I know I have some acquaintances who already think my stone (9mm, w halo is approx 10mm) is too large for me so it's all relative.

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello!
I have lurked on PS for a few years now but I'm posting for the first time because I think I can help you with this very lovely dilemma!
This is a picture of my current engagement ring. It's 7 carats and my finger size is a 4. This is my third engagement ring... same sweet and generous husband though! My first was a 1 carat round.. my second was a 3 carat pear and then this is my current one. My dream gift when I turned 40 was to get a really big honker.. and that's just what I got. When I first got it 10 years ago I wore it everyday for about a year. Then slowly I started taking it out only for dinners out and fancy parties.. then soon it was just for fancy parties. It's honestly just a bit too gaudy for everyday... too much for the supermarket! LOL
I absolutely don't regret getting the ring.. I still love to take it out and try it on just for fun and when I do wear it I always get lots of compliments. We have 3 daughters so one day it will go to a very happy girl! I hope the picture and description helps you decide. It's a lovely dilemma!

photo-22.JPG

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
sleep7--That ring needs its own SMTB thread!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results