shape
carat
color
clarity

How bad is it out there?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Would you mind sharing with me some of your experiences with B & M stores and internet vendors? Both good and bad. Since I don''t shop them I really have no idea as to what the experience is and would be curious of what you have to say.

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
There is only one B&M store near me and one near my work that I will go to because I have had some bad experiences. Most of my bad experiences are with rude salespeople acting condescending or like they are doing you a favor.

Before I bought my .55ct (which I had recently traded up twice) I asked one store if they had any ideal cut rounds in that size and they didn''t nor were they willing to bring any in for me. I know that it is time and money for them to keep a large inventory of stones to look at, however, I like most people I''m sure, want to look at more than one stone to make a decision on what to buy.

Many of the salespeople I have dealt with have also given blatenly wrong information (i.e. an I color is higher than a G color). Now I am no expert, but it seems like even when I have gone in with a small bit of knowledge, I''m made to feel like I don''t know what the heck I''m talking about.

I also had one store give me a hard time about buying my diamond over the internet. It was like the jeweler had a huge chip on his shoulder when he asked where I got the diamond from and I told him (I had him reset it into a higher setting). I''m sure it''s because it takes business away from them, but don''t take it out on me.

I have only dealt with one online vendor and I have always had pleasant experiences with them. Yeah, it''s sometimes a pain not being able to see things in person but overall my experiences with this vendor have been good. Granted, I have not had a major issue to deal with; I think that would be harder with an internet vendor. I have also always had good service.

Bottom line, if my B&M store could carry the inventory the online vendors do and provide the service they do, I would have no need to go online.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
There is really only one experience in a B&M that stands out in my mind as being horrible...

When FI & I were first starting to look at rings, trying to figure out diamond sizes and setting and what not, we went to a large, lower-end chain in the local mall. The sales person comes over and asks if she could help and compliments me on the jewelry i am wearing and says something like I i must shop in the store all the time to have such nice items. Funny thing was, I had on a ring that was my grandmothers and a necklace with a hand-made, one-of-a-kind pendant. That really didnt bother me, but i thought she had some balls to ASSume the items were from their store.

What really bothered me was I asked to try on a .75ct and 1ct solitaire and she goes, "Oh no honey, theyre WAAAAAY too small... we are gonna make him pay and get you a nice ring!" and proceeds to pull out a 2ct diamond. I was astonished and couldnt believe her comment... she didnt know our situation or anything about why i wanted to look at that size stone. It bothered me that she was trying to tell me that i needed to wring my FI dry of all his money on this one ring.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a local B & M who is awesome. Very low pressure environment, very knowledgable. He even owns an idealscope and brings it out when showing stones.

the mall/chain stores are the ones i''ve had bad experiences with. One told me they wouldn''t make a shared prong eternity band with 3 pointers b/c all you would see was metal
20.gif

I went into another store and asked to see some settings with pear sides. The sales clerk told me she had never seen a ring with pear sides
20.gif

I have dealt with one internet vendor and the process was very smooth.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I think it depends for me I just get frustrated because I get treated like I am five when I go into jewelry stores. The one exception is Tiffany''s and that is prolly because my father buys things there for my mother so often that when something new comes in they hold it for him to look at. I understand that I am young and that is perceived poorly by the jewelry industry but the largest group of people with and expendable income is females from 14-24. So please be nice to us when we are in your store. Don''t tell me something is out of my price range I will determine that. Don''t tell me my Brietling is an inferior watch and then try and sell me a Rolex, I don’t like them if I did I would have chosen one. Don’t tell me to come back with my Daddy or BF, I have my own money and I can spend it wherever.
Also please don’t touch me a whole bunch a little isn’t the end of the world but it makes me nervous to be touched a lot by someone I don’t know.
I guess I would like to be treated with respect. Ask me what I am looking for, what my budget is and then help me. If you cant direct me to someone who can.
Also please be honest with me, don’t tell me that something is not possible unless you are positive it is not possible.
I went to BB&B a few weeks ago. I had on the band I bought and posted about and two very thin bands. I was there to look at a charm bracelet a friend of mine wanted for graduation (I bought her one from James Avery). I figured if she knew what she wanted then great in and out in maybe 15 minutes with a little time to select a pretty charm to go on the bracelet. The gentlemen who was helping me kept saying how he wasn’t sure this was the right one and would I like the yellow gold on better.
20.gif
After a few minutes he went to find out about a charm and didn’t come back out. I had to leave to pick up my sister from camp. As I was walking out the woman told me I had to leave any merchandise I hadn’t paid for. She thought my two fakey bands were the Ritani ones. Now I had not been near the case nor tried on anything. She actually made me take all my rings off so she could inspect them.
29.gif
I don’t like being accused of shoplifting I never would. I told FFF and BG this story in NYC the other day. Clearly my friends graduation gift was bought elsewhere and I wont be going back in to BBB ever again two bad experiences is enough.

I do prefer family owned stores and I love it if you remember me.
I like it when people return phone calls and emails within 48hrs.
I like little reminders for birthdays and other such things.
I like working with the same person on seperate occasions, building a relationship makes me want to return.
I am willing to play extra for service becuase to me that is part of the experince.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Looking for settings -

"High end" MALL store with three similar initials..

Everyone was pleasant, let me try on settings. Didn''t really know much about the product more than what was written on the tag. Gave me prices on back of business cards after lots of looking and talking over price lists. Different stores, different prices..same settings..

Would set my own stone for a fee. Liked to add additional services like "insurance". Etc. Prices weren''t too bad but after all the "fees" and other things.. they were definately higher than I found elsewhere B&M.

Pleasant. Not particularly knowlegeable.

Local "family" run B&M store in area

Very pleasant and friendly - let me try on settings to my hearts delight. Knowlegable about product. Willing to entertain my "changes" and talk to manufacturer. After three "goes" I selected a final setting. They also worked with me on price there - and was the best price I could get anywhere. Set my stone in their setting for free while I waited. Talked to me as if I knew what I''m talking about. Treated me very fairly. When I went back to have changes made - they set a new stone.. in a setting not sold by them.. at no charge.

As far as diamonds.. I only "overheard" a sale while I waited. It seemed that the sales staff was very pleasant to the young guy and his mom, while considering a stone. They had a HUGE budget (20,000 - for a princess) and seemed to be leading them through the normal converstations.. trying to educate on basic items. I don''t know what types of stones they usually have.. and I wasn''t there through the final sale... (I wish I was.. very intersting).. But they seemed to treat them nicely..

I have also had other experiences in chain stores that are not worth mentioning..

All in all, for me, it''s been that the smaller - "independant" jewelers are more contientious about their customers, want to build relationships and in turn - care about the service that is given to customers.

The larger "Mall" or chain stores seem a little less concerned about "building a relationship" and more concerned about their product getting sold.. if that makes sense. I''m sure there are exceptions.. but an employee at a chain store seems a lot less happy than an employee at an independant store.

JMHO

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
I have a B&M about 30 miles from me that I use and trust intently. It's a family-owned establishment. It's a no-pressure environment, has 2 masters jewelers on staff, a master diamond cutter and all the GGs to boot. The last time I went in, they checked my prongs and replated my WG rings at no charge (I send them a lot of referrals...I guess it's a thank you?!)...

Although they are a bit out of the way, I don't trust anyone else to check or repair my rings. They've been arount for over 20 years and with that much experience on staff, I don't plan to go anywhere else! They also have a Sarin Machine on the premises!!

Joane

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/2/2005 2:12:18 PM
Author: Matatora

I guess I would like to be treated with respect. Ask me what I am looking for, what my budget is and then help me. If you cant direct me to someone who can.

Matatora, I like your post. You''ve got a lot of spirit! Every customer is entitled to respectful service regardless of age or anything else!

I''ve never purchased an Internet diamond. The only b&m store where I bought a diamond is Birks in Canada. I went there because I wanted a reliable certified Canadian diamond. The service and follow-up were very good. Time promises were kept. I probably paid a premium for buying the ring there but I''m very happy with it.

jewelgirl

Shiny_Rock
I have found the biggest problem with B&M is the inventory issue. I have only been in one that had anything resembling the inventory of loose diamonds an internest vendor has access to. And, this store was a pleasure to work with. The sales people ae low pressure, and veru very knowledgable, they have their buyer there most times of the day to answer questions about the diamonds that he bought and why, or any special characteristics about them. They have separate viewing desk areas with microscopes and ideal scopes (if you ask for them). they have a sarin machine int he back to run all the stats if you want them. They will even get you a drink or bake you a chocolate chip cookie if you want it! Thier selection of settings and wedding bands was ENORMOUS...they had all different designers and that area was larger than entire family owned jewelry shops I had seen. They say they are the largest free standing jewelry store in the United States, and with the service they provide, it is not hard to understand how that could be true. They are int he Burbs of Baltimore, and anyone living inthe area should check them out...the name of the store is Smyth''s Jewelers, they are in Timonium.

Also, though, most smaller B&M''s have very uneducated salespeople. One actually told DH and I that all their diamonds were the same cut, except the HOF which was "perfect"...I asked "so what are all the others, then?" the sales person said "Not perfect"...we got the H out of there quick :)

With internet vendors, it seemed like the service was faster and they were more eager to get you info abt a stone quickly. They understood and accepted if you were working with more than one vendor, and I percieved it made them more eager to help you find the perfect stone...

I personally LOVED the vendor I worked with, I trusted them en0oguh to do a wire transfer for the stone, which my husband was dead set against, and I would use them again. They were very honest about what they thought of a stone and what they saw inthe stone, and they helped me pick a real winner! The price was OUTSTANDING, I could have never gotten anywhere close to this price in a B&M.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Jewelgirl - I am actually from Baltimore (now am in NY)..

Funny - I had a VERY different opinion on Smyth - and wouldn't buy there.

I guess people have different experinces. Besides how I was treated, my main beef was the pricing game with them. Oh - this (1) carat is 25,000 - but we'll take 35% off right away.. and then you can haggle further.. but what a pain. I guess I don't like haggling. I know "repeat customers" get good pricing. When I asked about Michael B - they said his "stuff was cheap" and I should go to michael beaudry. Fine. but strange.

I priced tacori there - and they were the HIGHEST by far of any store that I got pricies from. INCLUDING Bailey banks and biddle. I guess I didn't look like repeat customer! Seriously, I got my set for THOUSANDS less than they quoted me.

They do have a good rep - and a nice spanking new store.... Hmm.

I guess it's shows it's all who (which sales rep) you work with in a place..

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
That is another issue IMO I want to have the same price regardless of which sales person I work with and that whole 35% off or everyday sale thing is condescending to the customer.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I would like to add a good thing. I am looking at 2 PS vendors for my stone. One has been very helpful with setting questions but has not really gotten back to me about stones, which in this instence is kay becuase they are searching for what I want in my budget.
The other has a great feature for the more computer comfertable in which you can IM them and ask a few quick questions and make an appointment to come in without having to get on the phone. (This is a real blessing becuase when I am nervous my southern accent roars and makes it hard for others to understand me)
Personally I am not a phone person I like to be in person or via e-mail. If you are willing to email PM or IM with me then you have a much greater chance of having me repeat bussiness with you.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been to Maul stores a couple of times with my boyfriend. I asked to see a 1 carat ring that was on display (it was an I1, really visibly included). In any case, she took it out of the case and put a chain through the band (for insurance purposes in case I decided to run with it). I thought that was a bit tacky. It was $7000 CAD. And when I asked her for the pricing of a S1, 1 carat, she glared at me, and said "It''s in the $10 000 CAD range, much too pricey for you." I just thought it was funny, because I DO look young. I just smiled and gave her back her ugly 1 carat diamond. I''m thinking of going back when I have my e-ring
11.gif
. I wonder if she''ll still think a 1 carat S1 is still "too pricey for me".

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with jewelgirl. My family LOVES Smyth Jewelers. I know that they will also set diamonds that were bought from internet vendors. I also LOVE Robbins Delaware diamonds.

The only bad experiences I have had so far were in large chain mall jewelry stores, and it was the usual: lack of knowledge, poor quality diamonds, thought I was too young, etc., etc.

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the previous posts.
Small local B&M jewelers- a bit pricey sometimes, but worth it for the relationship and service.
Mall chains (Zales, Kay, etcetera)- ignorant salespeople and crap quality.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
There is a B&M jeweler that I go to in my area. It''s a father and son operation in a small shop. They don''t have a large selection of diamonds and settings, but when I need repairs I go to them first. And they have made pieces for my family in the past.

My experience with chain stores has been mixed. Pre- Pricescope, I pretty much assumed that the people behind the counter knew what they were talking about...now I know better. My issues came in with the customer service. I also went to the large chain with "three identical initials" and was totally ignored. No one came over to help me and BF at the time, at all. I felt humiliated actually. Needless to say this left a bad taste in my mouth. At another large chain, the customer service was quite good and they seemed to at least put on a show that they knew what they were talking about, but we did not purchase from there. I had a little working knowledge of the 4 C''s and knew enough to know not to by a stone when they give you a range of colors and clarities that the stone "could" be.

Because of the inconsistent customer service/knowledge I''ve received there, I avoid large chain jewelry stores for the most part. I just go there to browse (on occassion). I have dealt with a number of PS vendors and they have all been helpful and ready to assist. So I am more than comfortable buying through the Internet. And being a part of the PS forum has given me even more confidence about dealing with Internet jewelry vendors.

sapphic

Rough_Rock
I am done with going to local B&M stores. As nice as some salespeople may be, I find better info, selection, and prices online. There''s no reason to get an average cut diamond for the same price as a super ideal cut diamond online with one of the PS vendors. Another important point is the whole price haggling thing. It''s great to know you are getting a good price with Internet vendors without pressure and haggling.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great experence online:
Gary @ diamondexpert.com I email him saying ship it and its in my hands in 3-4 days no fuss and no hassles.

Great experence b&m:
I told him what stuller setting I wanted for a gemstone I was buying online.
He said no problem and this is how much it would cost with labor.
I got the gemstone from Gary and dropped it off.
Picked it up a week later and the workmanship was exellent.
Wash rince and repeat many times :}

Bad experence online:
Was going to buy a ring for a birthday present online.
Avertised in the size I needed at price A.
Ordered it and when I called a week later to find out why I hadnt got it they told me that all of them came in at one size and that it would cost A + $50.
I told them to stick it.
They are now out of business.
That was way before I found pricescope by about 2 years.

More later dont have time now..

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
bad experence b&m.
A lady walks in ahead of me and walks up to the display case near the sales person.
I walk down to the other end of the display intending to work my way back up looking at prices and different rings and settings.
The sales guy totaly ignores the lady and comes down and askes if he can help me.
I look up and see her giving him a death glare I tell him she was here first.
He gives me a dirty look and goes and helps her.
I look at the overpriced junk in the case and leave.
As Im pulling out the lady comes out looking like she was crying.
Iv never been in that store since and they have lost a ton of business over it.

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
I tend to avoid the mall chain stores because I have found them to be of the two extremes. Either they are so pushy they practically write up your sale ticket when you walk in the door, or they look at you like "why are you bothering me?" and mall jewelery gives me the creeps (probably because at least from what i have seen its bad quality and 80ish styles, not all of course)

I have had good experiences online. I have purchased through independent B & M stores that have an online showroom, I havent used any PS vendors (yet) or places like bluenile.com. Although y''all know I had problems with my wedding set, the jeweler I purchased from was always very kind, quick to respond to my bazillion emails or phone calls, courteous, and despite all that happened which was not his fault, that care he gave me is what sticks out in my head. The other vendor we use is in NYC and I am so impressed also with the customer service and quality of items sold.

I purchased my stone through a local family owned place here in town and I think they are so great. Emails replied to almost instantly. Very knowledgeable and reasonable prices and I was able to trade in my old stone even though I didnt buy it from them at a reasonable trade in value.

But just the other day i felt SO patronized at a independent b and m store near my home. Its almost like a BB&B, lots of designer lines. I went in to get mine and FIs rings engraved. The workers were SO pretentious. I came in after work with my hospital scrubs on and got the look of death. Then when I handed over a Tacori eternity band and a Tiffany lucida band the girl looked at me like, there is no way YOU could have afforded THESE rings. And then she put on a sugar sweet smile and just fawned over how gorgeous my rings were. Then proceeded to try and pick out all these flaws on the ring! (like I NEEDED to hear those after all that drama I went thru!) She kept saying how the metal didnt look like it was platinum and maybe she should go "clean them off" to see if that would help them look better! I was like, um, ok I dont think so, as you go out of sight and destroy my rings you jealous lil... LOL!

She then FLUNG FI''s ring into the plastic bag for the engraving. At that point I was wrong to stay there but there is no other reputable place in town to get them engraved so I felt stuck because we wanted them engraved.

So I go in to pick them up a few days later (again in my ponytail and scrubs) and another woman was working there. SO snooty. She stared me down the entire time I was there and walked into the lab BACKWARDS with her eyes locked on mine watching me as if I would steal something if she turned her back and took her eyes off me! I had never been so offended in all my life, but I definitely will never go back there for anything!

29.gif

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Argh, don''t get me started.
20.gif
One didn''t know the difference between a princess cut and an emerald cut and at another B&M I asked about the color and clarity of the stone my friend was looking at. The sales lady replied with, "Its an I-J, 12-13 clarity." Me: "You mean, I-1/1-2?" Her: "Whatever, I don''t pay attention to that stuff, but I do know this is the best you can get." Oh, and they wanted $10,000 for it and it was under 1ct.
6.gif
40.gif
H2b hurridly ushered me out of the store before I could say anything else.
Another B&M; I was looking at 1.25ct RB solitaires and one looked more like a 1.5ct. The sales lady actually told me it was better than mine because you wanted one with a wider spread...umm...moments later a man walked in and explained that he had seen a ring online and wanted to know if they carried something similar. The owner of the store told him to come back when he had the internet out of his system! Thus began a heated discussion. I left immediately.

What''s really sad is that those aren''t even the complete list. I''ve been in so many and have heard so many things that it would make your hair curl.
38.gif
38.gif
38.gif

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Wow! Pretty interesting stories! Yet, they say, that only 5% of the jewelry sold is on line and I have not a clue how much of it is engagement and wedding rings. You must have friends who don''t use the net for this type of purchase. What are their experiences? Are there not B & M''s that try to get a clue what you are seeing on the net? Will they not offer comparable pricing on a stone they would get in to show. I can understand the problem they have competing if they inventory the diamond pricing? But just as I have seen on the price comparisons on this site many of the on line vendors don''t own the diamonds either for they are just databases. So basically they could do the same if they wanted to. How does sales tax affect the decision? If the prices were equal from a B & M would you be willing to pay this tax? In CA where the taxes are 8% + on a 10,000.00 stone the difference would be $800.00+ Pretty spooky!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
my worst b&m experence:
Over lunch I go into a small family ran b&m.
I am the only person in the store other than the owner.
Im looking over rings in the display case and he comes up to me and asks if he can help me.
I comment on a real nice ruby ring in the case then tell him what im looking for.
He looks me up and down and says I might have something like that but maybe not we usualy serve a better class of customer.
WTH im thinking iv got $2000 cash in my pocket and am looking to spend some of it and he treats me like this.
Needless to say I left right away and have never been back.

I dress down being a computer geek jeans and t-shirt are my work uniform but sheeesh they were clean and not full of holes.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
My next door neighbor asked me about diamonds because he had seen some of the gemstones iv bought.
He was interested in getting an engagement ring.
I filled him in a little and said if he wanted some help feel free to ask.
What ended up happening was they were at walmart and she pointed to a ring and said I want that one and he bought it right then and there.

So it just goes to prove there will always likely be a place for impulse buying of low end jewelery.

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/3/2005 4:44:21 PM
Author: mepearl53
Wow! Pretty interesting stories! Yet, they say, that only 5% of the jewelry sold is on line and I have not a clue how much of it is engagement and wedding rings. You must have friends who don''t use the net for this type of purchase. What are their experiences? Are there not B & M''s that try to get a clue what you are seeing on the net? Will they not offer comparable pricing on a stone they would get in to show. I can understand the problem they have competing if they inventory the diamond pricing? But just as I have seen on the price comparisons on this site many of the on line vendors don''t own the diamonds either for they are just databases. So basically they could do the same if they wanted to. How does sales tax affect the decision? If the prices were equal from a B & M would you be willing to pay this tax? In CA where the taxes are 8% + on a 10,000.00 stone the difference would be $800.00+ Pretty spooky!
When I recently bought my 1.04ct J/SI1 ideal cut rb from an online vendor, I went to my local B&M store first to see what they had and to also see if I liked that size on my hand. I had a 0.72ct J/SI1 that I was going to trade up so I knew I wanted a stone around H-I-J color. The store I went to didn''t have anything lower than a G, VS2 for me to look at. When I told them I wanted to drop down in color and clarity b/c that was out of my price range, the owner apologized and said he normally doesn''t stock diamonds lower than H color but if I wanted he could "try" to find one for me. I had printed out a copy of the stats of the 1.04ct that I did eventually buy to show roughly what I was looking for and he told me that even if he could get a diamond like that, there was no way he could sell it to me for the price they were asking. Granted, this was a stone that the online vendor owned, not one they had access to.

Sales tax out here is 8% too so that also made a difference. The price online was the price I paid - actually it was less because I paid with a cashier''s check.

My cousin just got engaged last month. I had mentioned some of the internet vendors and she looked at me in horror that I would even consider making such a huge purchase online. She bought from a local B&M and is happy with her ring. She knows she probably could have gotten something similar or better online, but she is very leary of big purchases over the internet.

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
My best one was last Xmas we get a call from southern Cal from a woman who wanted a expensive designer piece. Can''t mention designer or store but it was very upscale. She wanted to know if we had this piece on our site but with a different color center stone. I called the designer to see if they had one and they did but it was out on memo but could get it if I needed. I called her back and said it was available and she told me she would have hubby call me. 3 hours later he calls and we make a deal. I asked him why he did not purchase it from the jeweler out there. Seems he walked into the store the previous Saturday dressed very casually and with flip flops on and asked about the piece in the case. The sales person all but told him it was out of his league. 5 years earlier he had purchased a 5 ct engagement ring from this store but at the time he was dressed in his weekly attire, suit and tie. Well it turns out that the piece he was looking at was on memo from the designer and the designer calls it back, sends it to me, and i send it back out to S Cal and I''ve got a new customer. The jerk in back of the counter let a 57K piece walk out the door. Unbelievable!

mrmedoes

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/3/2005 4:44:21 PM
Keep in mind that the question posed is about as effective to post on this forum as it would be to say "tell me about the good and bad experiences that you''ve had with fur coats" on a PETA forum. Okay, so maybe not that bad (no offense to any PETA members)
emwink.gif

It''s a rather safe assumption to say that many online buyers were driven to the internet for this type of purchase because of bad B&M experiences. The remainder of people are early adopters who trust the internet as much as, if not more than their local retailer.

Personally, I''ve been in small B&Ms that try to sell pre mounted ungraded crap, and other small B&Ms that have a ton of stock and were extremely nice and helpful. Mall stores, well, I''ve at least been to ones where the people are nice and mean well, though the stock and prices aren''t really my style. Same goes for web sites... there are crappy ones out there, but most people just click the "X" or type in a new address and don''t think about it. If you never have any interaction or get burned by them, you never know how bad they actually are. B&Ms, based on the fact that you have to go out of your way to go there, and 90% of the time have some form of interaction, are always going to be graded tougher. You can visit 10 websites, look at their stock, settings and prices, as well as do the research in the time you could go to one B&M. You don''t even get a hard sell. Things like that equal to people who are willing to use the internet being more satisfied.

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/2/2005 8:57:35 PM
Author: sapphic
I am done with going to local B&M stores. As nice as some salespeople may be, I find better info, selection, and prices online. There''s no reason to get an average cut diamond for the same price as a super ideal cut diamond online with one of the PS vendors. Another important point is the whole price haggling thing. It''s great to know you are getting a good price with Internet vendors without pressure and haggling.
With one or two exceptions, this is how I feel these days.

Having said that, I did find my OEC in a local B&M jewellers (rather an eccentric owner) and I got my 84 pointer solitaire in another local shop because he offered me a really nice diamond in exactly the setting I wanted at a VERY good price. I do also buy from a couple of the shopping channels who do some quite good coloured gemstone stuff at reasonable prices which it''s hard to get anywhere else here in the UK. A lot of their good suppliers are from the States anyway.
9.gif

But, unless I''m looking for jewllery that''s made with quite small diamonds - cluster style stuff - or cheapish gemstone jewellery - I''d always look online first. The information and price points you get online just can''t be beaten by most B&M shops. I do get some stuff from a local shop shop that sells quite nice general jewellery - earrings, dress rings and stuff like that - but they''re way over-priced so I only buy when they''ve got a half-price sale on. They know me quite well there and are always very pleasant (small town, doctor''s wife - impossible to be anonymous
20.gif
) but I think they''ve given up on ever selling me anything at full price.
9.gif

Plus, shopping in B&M shops is usually a bad experience for me. I''ve found generally, that many B&M places have little or no info on their stones or don''t want to tell you anything in case you realise they''re ripping you off. Assistants usually haven''t got a clue and the jewellers themselves can get very defensive once they realise that you have any knowledge about diamonds at all. I''ve had managers/owners get quite stroppy when I''ve asked the most straight-forward questions about their merchandise. Not something you want to repeat.

So, for any diamond over a third of a carat, or an important coloured gem, it would have to be an online purchase for me.

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/3/2005 5:30:55 PM
Author: mrmedoes

Keep in mind that the question posed is about as effective to post on this forum as it would be to say ''tell me about the good and bad experiences that you''ve had with fur coats'' on a PETA forum. Okay, so maybe not that bad (no offense to any PETA members)
emwink.gif

It''s a rather safe assumption to say that many online buyers were driven to the internet for this type of purchase because of bad B&M experiences. The remainder of people are early adopters who trust the internet as much as, if not more than their local retailer.
Actually this is a great forum for me to ask these questions. Realize I am a B & M store and I see both sides of the equasion. The only way I can get your perspective is to ask here. I take this information to my designers to let them know that this is a for real happening. I catch quite a bit of heat for my presence on the net and I am constantly defending the net people as viable customers. The industry sees the net as a nat and has for the most part ignored it as a viable marketing tool. Look at the websites out there to see where they are coming from. They spend big bucks advertising their products and when they lead the consumer to their website they, for the most part, fall down. Most have little or no presence. Thus, if I want to be on the net I end up spending the money they should be spending to show case their products. Effectivally advertising for their customers. In the greatest majority of the designers I represent their section of MY site is larger than their own. So, in all reality, one down loads a picture from my site, takes it to their local jeweler, and they get the business off my inventory. Or, (pet pieve)
29.gif
knock off artist, and you know how I feel about this, and has it replicated. It''s like draging a bull through a door!

mrmedoes

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/3/2005 5:58:16 PM
Actually this is a great forum for me to ask these questions. Realize I am a B & M store and I see both sides of the equasion. The only way I can get your perspective is to ask here. I take this information to my designers to let them know that this is a for real happening. I catch quite a bit of heat for my presence on the net and I am constantly defending the net people as viable customers. The industry sees the net as a nat and has for the most part ignored it as a viable marketing tool.

I give you a lot of credit for seeing the future and sticking with it despite a bit of outcry from the industry. As someone who works in marketing (albeit in a separate industry that deals with billions of dollars), I can tell you that many companies fail to identify issues and act on them. Investments, such as what you''ve made with your website, can seem like drains a lot of the time, but eventually pay dividends. You pretty much can insert any lasting trend instead of the word "website" in that previous sentence and the statement holds true.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results