shape
carat
color
clarity

Highest cut for princess?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

VuittonGal

Shiny_Rock
What is the best level of cut for a princess cut? I''m confused because some places say there are ideal cuts for princess, but others say that all princess cuts have yet to receive the ideal rating. What''s up?
33.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are a few of us who can determine whether a princess cut diamonds proportions will fall into "ideal" parameters. The problem is that there are only a handful of vendors who can provide the data necessary to be able to determine this on non AGS stones. At the very least we need to know table size, as well as 2 sets of crown and paviloin angles which are outlined in blue and red in the graphic below. I''m working on a tutorial that teaches more in depth about this at the moment and should be completed early next week. If you can get table data and the data on these angles I can let you know if you''re looking at ideal parameteres or not (at least with regards to proportions).

Regards,

princessangles1.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
ahhhhh muddy diamond water
37.gif

i think you''re confusion probably stems from the fact ''ideal'' is one of those terms that gets a lot of play in the diamond industry. what is ideal? well, there are as many different answers as there are people using it. are there ''ideal'' princesses? according to ags there are
1.gif
they have just begun grading princess using the ''ideal''. as this grading system has only just begun for princess cuts, there are not that many graded ideals on the market, but there are many stones otherwise termed ''ideal''.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/23/2005 4:22:29 PM
Author: belle
ahhhhh muddy diamond water
37.gif

i think you''re confusion probably stems from the fact ''ideal'' is one of those terms that gets a lot of play in the diamond industry. what is ideal? well, there are as many different answers as there are people using it. are there ''ideal'' princesses? according to ags there are
1.gif
they have just begun grading princess using the ''ideal''. as this grading system has only just begun for princess cuts, there are not that many graded ideals on the market, but there are many stones otherwise termed ''ideal''.
I don''t know of too many other labs applying the term "ideal" to their stones if any. AGS has laid out some very specific parameters and is currenlty the only one I know of that holds any water. Knowledge of the angles and measurements I mentioned though, if attained at least princess cuts with ideal proportions can be ascertained.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i guess my attempt to clear the muddy water didn''t work!
20.gif
let me try again.....
there are many diamonds termed ''ideal'' out there. ags is the only lab grading princess cuts as ''ideal''. they do this according to a very strict cut parameters. if you want an industry standard ideal cut, you will have to find one that is graded ideal by ags.
any other ''ideal'' may not be so.
2.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/23/2005 6:05:45 PM
Author: belle
i guess my attempt to clear the muddy water didn''t work!
20.gif
let me try again.....
there are many diamonds termed ''ideal'' out there. ags is the only lab grading princess cuts as ''ideal''. they do this according to a very strict cut parameters. if you want an industry standard ideal cut, you will have to find one that is graded ideal by ags.
any other ''ideal'' may not be so.
2.gif
Haha belle! How about a GIA Ex/Ex with AGS ideal proportions?

Capitol Bill

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/23/2005 3:50:35 PM
Author:VuittonGal
What is the best level of cut for a princess cut? I'm confused because some places say there are ideal cuts for princess, but others say that all princess cuts have yet to receive the ideal rating. What's up?
33.gif
Hi VuittonGal,
The best level of cut for a princess is AGS-0 or AGS ideal. The AGS system for grading princess cuts is so new that many people in the industry are just not yet aware that "the times they are a-changin'." Another reason that may explain why not many people in the diamond industry are aware of AGS ideal princess cuts is because not many exist at the present time. This is likely due to the new and relatively stringent parameters set out by the AGS that cutters are having to adapt to.
Bill Scherlag

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/23/2005 4:13:04 PM
Author: Rhino
There are a few of us who can determine whether a princess cut diamonds proportions will fall into ''ideal'' parameters. The problem is that there are only a handful of vendors who can provide the data necessary to be able to determine this on non AGS stones. At the very least we need to know table size, as well as 2 sets of crown and paviloin angles which are outlined in blue and red in the graphic below. I''m working on a tutorial that teaches more in depth about this at the moment and should be completed early next week. If you can get table data and the data on these angles I can let you know if you''re looking at ideal parameteres or not (at least with regards to proportions).

Regards,
Hey Rhino,

You have to make clear that the fact that all average proportions are within AGS-0 according to the cutting guidelines does not mean that the stone will in fact get the AGS-0-grade. That is a very important distinction.

There is another thread on an AGS-2-princess, cut by us, of which the proportions are within AGS-0 according to the cutting guidelines.

Live long,

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/24/2005 5:41:16 AM
Author: Paul-Antwerp

Date: 6/23/2005 4:13:04 PM
Author: Rhino
There are a few of us who can determine whether a princess cut diamonds proportions will fall into ''ideal'' parameters. The problem is that there are only a handful of vendors who can provide the data necessary to be able to determine this on non AGS stones. At the very least we need to know table size, as well as 2 sets of crown and paviloin angles which are outlined in blue and red in the graphic below. I''m working on a tutorial that teaches more in depth about this at the moment and should be completed early next week. If you can get table data and the data on these angles I can let you know if you''re looking at ideal parameteres or not (at least with regards to proportions).

Regards,
Hey Rhino,

You have to make clear that the fact that all average proportions are within AGS-0 according to the cutting guidelines does not mean that the stone will in fact get the AGS-0-grade. That is a very important distinction.

There is another thread on an AGS-2-princess, cut by us, of which the proportions are within AGS-0 according to the cutting guidelines.

Live long,
Hi mate,

I''m fully aware of this but thanks for pointing it out. Ie, the diamond can''t have sloppy variances whose averages happen to fall into ideal specs. There must be a certain consistency between all the angles. And yes ... I am also aware that it can have ideal proportions yet be graded a 2 because of polish or symmetry perhaps. I think you would agree however that of all the metrics involved it is the proportions and optical symmetry that contribute most to the beauty of the stone, polish & symmetry contributing to a lesser extent (similar to GIA VG/VG with AGS ideal proportions).

Peace,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results