shape
carat
color
clarity

Hi, need help with engagement ring purchase..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

B-Line

Rough_Rock
I am new to this site, thanks in advance for all the help.

I am in the market for an engagement ring and need some advice.
Ideally I am looking for:
Princess
2.50ct
F color
VS2
GIA Cert.

So my questions are:
Is it safe to buy on the internet?
I am going to have it set as a solitare with tappered baguettes (please pardon my spelling.)

What price would be a great deal and what price would be not such a great deal?

--On another note, I had a diamond dealer email me with a stone.
It is:
2.59ct
F color
VS2
7.62mm x 7.48mm
Depth 71.7
Table 70
Polish VG
Symmetry GD
TOTAL PRICE: $29,850 includes platinum setting

--  So I researched the price on DIAMONDS.COM  and I found what appears to be the exact same diamond.

At A Glance
Carat Weight
 2.59 carats
Shape
Princess
Color
 F
Clarity
 VS2
Details
 Depth
 71.7%
Table
 70.00%
Girdle
 MEDIUM to SLIGHTLY THICK, FACETED
Culet
NONE
Polish
 VERY GOOD
Symmetry
 GOOD
Fluorescence
 FB
Measurements
 7.62*7.48*5.36 mm

The price on Diamonds.com is - $25,186

That''s a price difference of $4664 for what appears to be the exact same diamond (the dealer was including a Platinum setting with baguettes)
So my question is, Is he selling me the same diamond I found on the internet and marking it up?
Is it safe to buy on the internet and find someone local to set the stone?
ANy advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
B

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/3/2005 10:31:19 PM
Author:B-Line

So my question is, Is he selling me the same diamond I found on the internet and marking it up?
Sounds like. The ultimate check would be to compare the serial numbers of lab reports. I bet they match though.

Welcome to Pricescope !
1.gif

These stones are most likely neither in the posession of the internet seller or the local one, but in some cutter''s inventory. Both dealers list them for sale. More ofteh than not, the same stone appears listed by multiple sellers even in this database here (sure you have seen that) with a small difference between quotes.

Either of them should let you see the stone. This might sound like a more reasonable approach, but it could be that Uniodiamond does a better job. Ideally, whichever shop should provide some choice (= a lineup of diamonds for you to choose from, since the appearance and brilliance varies quite a bit between stones). If the locals can do it to justify their premium, great. Otherwise, internet seller use a range of tools to evaluate cut quality against a standard (the page on "Fancy Shapes" under "Knowledge" on top of this page and Ideal-Scope.com explain some of this).

Hope some of this helps.

About shopping online and having settings done locally... there are dozens of such stories on the "Show me the ring" forum here. If one of the jewelers mentioned happens to be in your area, all for the better. Otherwise, internet sellers do provide setings and there are custom jewelers working remotely as well.

Best of luck !
35.gif

B-Line

Rough_Rock
Hi Valeria,

Thanks for the response..

You mentioned, "since the appearance and brilliance varies quite a bit between stones." I of course understand that every stone is unique. But how would one buy a stone on the internet and not be making a blind purchase?
I would hate to spend the type of money were talking about and buy on the internet and find the stone to be unattractive..

thanks,
B

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/3/2005 10:57:34 PM
Author: B-Line

But how would one buy a stone on the internet and not be making a blind purchase ?
Seller mind that as well, believe me. Here''s what a couple of them came up with... The following links lead to presentations of two princess cuts - not quite the grades you want. I am just using them to show what kind of information is used to make the sale less "blind".
34.gif

Link to GOG presentation (these guys include 30X clarity pictures, Detailed measurements of proportions, a virtual model that comes with an analysis of optics, and IdealScope and BrillianceScope scores... a bit of overkill
9.gif
but the page makes a great laundry list of almost everything feasible!)

Link to WF (some of the above, and a great picture).

Other sellers use all or some of these presentation tools: Superbcert, NiceIce, DirtCheapDiamonds are mentioned rather often and have received feedback on this forum. If you do not like them after all... the information about judging quality in princess cut diamonds should be worth the 10 minutes of browsing. It''s rather CRAZY
12.gif
how much technicals these guys find to show about a diamond !

B-Line

Rough_Rock
Wow,

thanks for the great info..

I am going to do a bit more research.... will post back soon :)

B

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results