shape
carat
color
clarity

Trillion center: How does this sound?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Shape and Cutting Style: Trillion Cut Diamond

Carats: 1.01 Carat

Clarity: SI1 - Eye Clean

Color: G - White

Polish: Good

Symmetry: Very Good

Measurements: 6.98 x 6.64 x 3.51 mm

Cut Grade: Very Good

Depth: 52.9%

Table: 57%

Yes, of course I would have to see it, but how do the spec sound? EGL certified.

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know much about trillions but I wanted to comment on the EGL certificate. Do you know which lab issued the cert (USA, Israel, etc.)? I ask is because EGL is notorious for being a bit more lenient on their grading than GIA or AGS. It''s my understanding that EGL-USA is the better of the EGL cert options as they''ve tightened up their standards a bit. Only reason I mention this is because if the stone was graded by one of the other labs, there is a good chance it wouldn''t be rated with as high of clarity/color.

Trillions are lovely stones, I''ve always liked them when I see them in others'' rings. Good luck finding a beauty! How are you going to set it once you''ve picked out the stone? Pics, pics we love seeing the pics. lol
2.gif
1.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2008 9:10:57 AM
Author: girlie-girl
I don''t know much about trillions but I wanted to comment on the EGL certificate. Do you know which lab issued the cert (USA, Israel, etc.)? I ask is because EGL is notorious for being a bit more lenient on their grading than GIA or AGS. It''s my understanding that EGL-USA is the better of the EGL cert options as they''ve tightened up their standards a bit. Only reason I mention this is because if the stone was graded by one of the other labs, there is a good chance it wouldn''t be rated with as high of clarity/color.

Trillions are lovely stones, I''ve always liked them when I see them in others'' rings. Good luck finding a beauty! How are you going to set it once you''ve picked out the stone? Pics, pics we love seeing the pics. lol
2.gif
1.gif

Yes, I have heard that EGL USA is ok, and that others are not. It IS EGL USA :) How is an EGS appraisal? I know it comes with that as well, I guess I would assume that it reflects that same grading? I would have to check. I found the stone online, but they are a B&M business. Either way, I would probably still opt for an independent appraisal, and there is a 2 week unconditional return policy.

Here''s one that I am considering!

TRI-FR119-3.jpg

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t help you with the specs of the diamond, but I wanted to say how lovely the ring is that you are considering!!!

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Another option, but I am not sure how princesses and Trillions mesh... looks okay here, but I would want to see it in person, you know?

1145772198667_trillion_side.JPG

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone know if jewelers swap stones out of settings into another setting? I really like the specs of one stone, but it is not in the setting that I prefer. If I was to buy the stone and setting from them, do you think they would swap the stone I want into the setting that I want, or would they just want me to choose another comparable stone? It''s hard to find well cut trillions (I have been told, and from what I have read), but am pretty novice about all of this setting stuff...

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2008 11:07:38 AM
Author: trillionaire
Does anyone know if jewelers swap stones out of settings into another setting? I really like the specs of one stone, but it is not in the setting that I prefer. If I was to buy the stone and setting from them, do you think they would swap the stone I want into the setting that I want, or would they just want me to choose another comparable stone? It''s hard to find well cut trillions (I have been told, and from what I have read), but am pretty novice about all of this setting stuff...

IMO they should be willing to do anything possible to make you happy. So if your chosen stone would fit into the setting you want they should be willing to do it for you.

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
All three of those are really pretty, though I think I may like the first one best! One of the PS members has a really nice and unique trillion ring if I remember correctly, I''ll see if I can find pics of it.

Whichever way you go, you''re sure to have a stunner.
1.gif

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
wow....I would normally be a little weirded out by the idea of a trillion center stone, but that first setting is amazingly beautiful and unique! I''m extremely impressed! I don''t know much about the correct specs, but I would love to see when it is finished. It sounds to me like trillions perhaps face up pretty large for their weight, which is cool.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2008 2:40:15 PM
Author: tberube
wow....I would normally be a little weirded out by the idea of a trillion center stone, but that first setting is amazingly beautiful and unique! I'm extremely impressed! I don't know much about the correct specs, but I would love to see when it is finished. It sounds to me like trillions perhaps face up pretty large for their weight, which is cool.

I understand that Trillions typically aren't cut as well for maximum brilliance, and therefore a lot of people don't choose them as center stones, but I am totally in love with the shape and uniqueness. It does make it hard to find a really nice stone though, and makes it more important to look at them in person. They can face up REALLY large, but that's where the problem comes in... Cutters try to make the stones look as large as possible, and sacrifice depth, and leading to less attractively cut stones.
7.gif
Unfortunately, it's hard to even find consensus about what good numbers are in depth and table (which is why I started the thread!)

Example of how different 1 ct Trillions can be based on depth:

Carats: 1.00 Carat
Symmetry: Good
Measurements: 8.31 x 7.42 x 2.85 mm
Cut Grade: Good
Depth: 34.3%
Table: 64%

Carats: 1.01 Carats

I've been eyeing different trillion styles over the past 2 or so years, and I just found the one you liked recently! I had been leaning towards a simple trillion solitaire, but I think I have been converted to a fan of pic #1!
30.gif
I can't stop looking at it! I think I would prefer the prongs to be a bit more dainty and less enclosed, but aside from that, I am basically in LOVE!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2008 10:58:04 AM
Another option, but I am not sure how princesses and Trillions mesh... looks okay here, but I would want to see it in person, you know?
I like this setting but with rounds instead of princesses!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I like the first one best. But just want to brings something up about it. Do you want to wear a wedding band with it? I am not sure how well another ring would work with that as there is three sided pave and prongs seem to be sticking out of it.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think to assess trillions we are definitely going to need some pictures. I don''t think there is a cut grading system for trillions. That being said, all of these seem to be cut pretty shallow...but I really don''t know much about trillions.

I would make sure you gf wants a trillion center before you go this route. If she wants it, then great...but I thought I would mention it because it''s not a very popular shape and they don''t sparkle that much compared to other cuts.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
35.gif
I am the girlfriend, looking for things so that I can give direction to the bf!
31.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Another option, I remember this when looking to set my sapphire which is not a usual size.

Do you want to go B&M or internet?

Most good jewlers have a catalogue with just shanks. I saw several of these settings when looking for my setting at a B&M. The idea is to make a custom head for it, it is a little more expensive, but cheaper than doing a full on custom ring. I am sure a company who does custom work, such as WF, would be more than willing to do a partial custom setting for you. So I think you have options no matter where you (or your SO) end up shopping, you just need to ask about them. The nice thing would be that you could find your perfect stone and than set it, instead of trying to find both at the same time.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Trillionaire, I have trillions as sidestones on my ring. I would contact Whiteflash, Good Old Gold or Engagement Rings Direct and see what they could come up with for a beautiful trillion.
35.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
LtlFire - Thank you so much for the advice. Silly me, I didn't even think about the wedding band
38.gif
. How awful am I? I want to do that wedding ring workshop thing, but that is not going to work very well with most trillion settings... more to think about!
40.gif

I will definitely look into custom and semi-custom, but I really am more of a no hassle person, pick something and go person.
emsmilep.gif

kcoursolle - the 52% depth is actually uncommonly high (in a good way
36.gif
) for Trillions, which is possibly why it is a VG cut... which I also hear is VERY uncommon for Trillions. I don't have pics to share, still trying to learn all I can :)

Canuk - That is a VERY unique Trillion ring, a little over the top for me
9.gif
, but I LOVE seeing Trillions, so thank so much for posting it! I like to use the ideas I see to inform my own preferences, and it is pretty rare for me to find trillion settings, so I really appreciate it!
2.gif

Dreamer - That was my first favorite trillion setting! I still heart it, but I think I am moving toward either a very simple solitaire, or something more showy like the first setting. Either way, I am glad to see that people are appreciating the Trillion settings
36.gif
, they are such step children!
15.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
no takers on the specs?
emotion-18.gif

Shape and Cutting Style: Trillion Cut Diamond

Carats: 1.01 Carat

Clarity: SI1 - Eye Clean

Color: G - White

Polish: Good

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2008 6:35:22 PM
35.gif
I am the girlfriend, looking for things so that I can give direction to the bf!
31.gif
Glad to hear you are the gf, so then I don''t have any concerns about the shape. You might have a hard time getting comments on the specs because not many of us know anything about trillions. I think you might be best off contacting a vendor you trust and having them pull some nice ones for you with pictures! The folks at WF or GOG would be great.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, I am just figuring out RB, I really know nothing about any other fancy shape. I agree with everyone above. Letting a good vendor help you search is your best bet.

As for the setting, something elce to think about. IMHO, the best way to make it "easy" is to use the same vendor for the stone and the setting, custom or not. I eneded up using the same person, just because it was too much of a hassle to deal with another company. I eneded up getting nickled and dimed on the setting fees, but oh well. I learned my lession for next time. The nice thing about WF is that they do not charge a setting fee, or an initial sizing fee if you buy the center stone from them. I am not sure about the other vendors, but I think they would be the same.

Here is a thought, it would go with a band. This bead set ring, with a three prong head. I really don''t think it would be that hard. But I could be wrong.

Also, GOG carries the same brand of rings that as the jewelry store I went to, Stuller, so you could ask them to find you the perfect stone (they seem to be good at finding the shapes that are not the "best sellers" of the moment), and they could set it, and could do a shank with a 3 prong head as well.

However, I do like the last ring you put up too. You have lots of options I think.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I have contacted some vendors about sourcing Trillion stones, and I always get a collective e-groan as they tell me that I am a tough case.
20.gif
I did hear, however, that one company is going to start making H&A Trillions!!!
36.gif
So no real news yet, but I did want to thank you ladies for your help!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
A good business will try to make the customer happy, hang in there, I am sure someone will be willing to help you. Are the H&A Trillions coming out soon or is that in the future?

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 4:07:25 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
A good business will try to make the customer happy, hang in there, I am sure someone will be willing to help you. Are the H&A Trillions coming out soon or is that in the future?
From what I hear, Dec or so, but no firm date. Too bad I am the GF, not the BF... can't predict when he will buy something, and I know he has been inquiring... so I will just give him some parameters and hope for the best! He likes to please, but I don't think he wants me super involved either... I made a ring discussion appt with him, so hopefully I will say all the right things!!!
17.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 1:01:18 PM
I have contacted some vendors about sourcing Trillion stones, and I always get a collective e-groan as they tell me that I am a tough case.
20.gif
I did hear, however, that one company is going to start making H&A Trillions!!!
36.gif
So no real news yet, but I did want to thank you ladies for your help!

Have you tried GOG? The specs I wanted for my RB were really limited and constrained with budget and Sarah pulled through magnificently :).

The designs you have posted are really nice, I can''t wait to see what you come up with :).

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Another Trillion setting!

Okay folks, this is a setting that closely resembles my favorite setting (from head on only). My fav setting, which is also a split shank, is more like two bands that bypass each other at the top of the setting, then fuse together into one band towards the middle/bottom of the band... Anyway, the one below is pretty nice too, I like the surprise diamond, but the setting that I truly love is a bit more delicate looking.
1.gif
Anyway, I like posting trillion pictures, since no one else does
31.gif

tril1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results