shape
carat
color
clarity

Help: Would you reject these two diamonds out of the box??

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock
Both of these diamonds have been suggested to me by a vendor who will ship them to me for inspection with a 100% return policy. IS and ASET images are not available so I would need to do them myself when the diamonds arrive. Both diamonds score relatively poorly on the HCA but are GIA Excellent. (I am well aware that GIA Ex is a broad category, however.)

My question is, is there any reasonable chance these diamonds would perform well despite the HCA score, or should I reject them out of the box on HCA alone? I don't need H&A perfection, but obviously want a stone that will perform well with no visible leakage. There's no risk to me to checking them out, but I don't want the vendor to spend the time and money to send them to me if there's very little chance they will be keepers.

Re: the SI2 grade on the second diamond - I'm told the crystals are clear and all in one location, and that the stone is 100% eye clean. I would obviously have to judge that for myself.

I understand there are other options with other vendors but for various reasons I'm sticking with the vendor in question at this point. There are not a ton of options available in my spec and price range (which are both narrow) at the moment. That's why I am considering these.

Thanks for any thoughts/input on these two candidates.

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?rep...ename=GIA/Dispatcher&c=Page&cid=1355954554547

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?reportno=5161935070&c=Page&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&pagename=GIA%2FDispatcher&cid=1355954554547&encryptedString=7E846E429145E371C9714F0C8B19E9A8

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Help: Would you reject these two diamonds out of the box

They are both steep/deep stones with larger and deeper crown and pavilion angles than I would recommend. In most cases, that will just about assure you of light leakage.

The first stone scores a 5 on the HCA and the second stone scores a 5.5. Of course, recommendations are for a score of 2 or below. Based on those two factors, I would have to assume that these stones will not be good performers. I understand that you are not looking for perfection but these don't really come close to having specs that I would be comfortable with - especially in stones that large.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Veltiesmom|1454637851|3986971 said:
Thanks. In my head I basically knew this to be the case but I was hoping someone might convince me otherwise!

Thoughts on this alternative?

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?rep...ryptedString=C423E0A38F34500E1EBEA39519553E5A

2.7 F VS1
61.8 d
58 t
36 crown
40.6 pav
HCA = 1.9 (FIC)

This is a FIC stone but could have some promise. As long as it wasn't costing you anything to look at it, could be worth a gander.

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock

Thanks. This vendor has been kind enough to send me several diamonds at no charge. I always offer to pay, and at some point I am sure he will take me up on it. So there could be a cost involved.

Other than having more fire, what's the hallmark of a FIC? Do they suffer for brilliance? I started out with antique stones so if a FIC has that kind of quality I would probably like it.

I know the line is that no HCA score under 2 is better than any other, but the Fire, Scintillation and Brilliance ratings on this one (a 1.9) are all "very good" instead of "excellent". That makes me think a stone with a lower HCA score MIGHT be a better performer after all? It's a little confusing. :confused:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't think a stone with a lower HCA score will necessary net you excellents in those categories. It is based more on the play between the crown and pavilion angles looking for a balance between fire and brilliance. There will probably be more fire than white brilliance from that stone but if that's your preference, it might work for you. To get three excellents (the spread is usually VG with ideal cut stones) you'd need crown angles between 34-35 and pavilion angles from 40.6 - 40.9. This particular stone has a high crown angle (36) with a lower pavilion angle of 40.6. Not a perfect balance or perfectly ideal but you already know that.

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock

Thanks, MGR. With that 36-40.6 angle combo, how likely is the stone to show leakage? Or is there no way to predict?

Vendor does not do ASET/IS so I would have to have it shipped and do it here.

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock

Veltiesmom said:
Thanks, MGR. With that 36-40.6 angle combo, how likely is the stone to show leakage? Or is there no way to predict?

Vendor does not do ASET/IS so I would have to have it shipped and do it here.
It's important to remember that 36 and 40.6 is an average. If you can compare the stones side by side its better and if not just look with your own eyes and see if you like it. Your eyes won't betray you. That angle combo is acceptable. And all that FIC BIC is slightly arbitrary IMO. An FIC may or may. not have leakage and so may a BIC or TIC because all of this based on AVERAGED proportions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results