shape
carat
color
clarity

help with VVS1

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jacksa

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
I am a new user. I recently purchased a 1.29 princess VVS1 E color and had it mounted. It has a GIA girdle inscription, however that is the only marking. 2 GIA gemologists have not been able to find the 3 pinpoints in the pavillion under 20-35 power, but have tested it with diamond/moissanite testers and confirmed color, etc.. Being that the inscription may be removed/faded and no other markings are visible, is this risky for a swap? Does swapping happen often? should I trade to a different stone with more inclusions which would be more recognizable. I am quite new at this, Advice would be appreciated. Thanks
confused.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Inscriptions don't exactly "fade" rather the carbon dust from the inscription process eventually diminishes from cleaning and steam cleaning, but the inscription can still be seen using magnification... Pinpoints can be rather difficult to locate, but they can usually be found by using different light sources and by varying the intensity of the light source. If you've had two gemologists verify the diamond for you, you shouldn't worry about the diamond being "real" and the inscription should suffice for quick identification of the diamond when dropping off or picking up the diamond from a jewelry store... Let's face it, if they switch your stone, they're not going to give you a nicer one so if you go to pick it up and can suddenly find inclusions within the stone easily or it does test positive on the store's CZ tester then simply leave the ring there and call your insurance company to intervene on your behalf since the item would be their financial responsibility assuming that you have insured it properly...

jacksa

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply. An appraiser I saw 2 days ago planted the idea about trading my stone for a stone with inclusions. He seems to feel that laser inscription will be readily available in 3-5 years at some retailers/wholesalers (those who will pay for the machines), and unprotected/unmapped stones will be at risk. Any thoughts? is the appraiser off base? Is VVS1/2 and IF clarity not a good idea for mounted jewelry(I read this on the "ask the diamond guy" website?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results