shape
carat
color
clarity

help with regents

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tlee

Rough_Rock
I''m going to buy a diamond this week and I''ve narrowed it down to these two regents from Good Old Gold. But I can''t decide. Anybody have an opinion?

1ct, H, SI2: This one has a big feather that I don''t think will be covered by the x-prong. And it only has a "med" rating on the white light return. http://www.goodoldgold.com/regent_1_00ct_h_si2.htm

0.96ct, I, SI1: This one looks great except for the I color. I don''t think that the scratch on the table will be visible to the naked eye.http://www.goodoldgold.com/new_page_40.htm

My third option is this 1.01ct, F, VS2: http://www.goodoldgold.com/regent_1_01ct_f_vs2.htm

It looks amazing but I don''t know if the big price difference would be worth it. This third diamond is almost double the price of the first two, and I''m a starving grad student. What do people think?

T

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just got a Regent and I love it! I don't think you will be sorry.

That said, both of the first two look awesome! I have found in surfing around GOG's site on Regents that not many Regents score that highly on white light. So you're in good company.
1.gif
The fire and scint are so up there that I think either stone would be a beauty to your eye.

I wouldn't spend the extra money on the third stone...doesn't seem worth it at all. Especially for almost double!
1.gif

Between the first two, I like the second one. The Bscope seems more fun. Plus the inclusion on the SI2 does seem a little big and uncoverable. Also I wouldn't worry about the 'I' color at all. My Regent is an H and its pretty darn white, and it sparkles so much I couldn't even see any color in it if I tried. So I think you'll be fine with the I. It should be a beaut!
1.gif

Good luck & congrats!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From H-SI2, to I-SI1 are two steps (one down in color and one up in clarity) and to F-VS1 quite a distance. Are you sure you can't get anything inbetween? Otherwise, I would pich No#2... too.

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Regents are an awesome choice...

Don't worry about the Med on B-scope...for white light...

If budget is an issue..I would go with stone #2...since Regents are so well cut they will face up nice and white...I think you will be pleased...

I saw the 1.01 F VS2 in person and it is a great stone...but I got a different one instead...

Are you planning to send it to an appraiser ???

If so I recommend Richard Sherwood...he did mine and...

Best of Luck...you will love your Regent

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I like #2 too! #1 has a faint but large feather and I would feel more comfortable with an SI 1, since the feather should be pretty lost in the brilliance.
1.gif

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
oh boy, another regent lover. get in contact with rhino aka jonathan asap about the regents and ask him for his opinion. he has them in hand and can pull them out to look at them and talk to u about them. but the 2nd one looks to be the best of the lot.

if u are not in a hurry, more regents are supposed to come in from the cutters. maybe u can let rhino know ur budget, approx size, colour/ clarity range and he can keep a look out for u.

good luck!!!
5.gif

tlee

Rough_Rock
Oh, I didn't know more regents are going to come in. Maybe I'll wait and see then. I just thought I'd try to beat the holiday crunch; but not if that means "settling" for a so-so diamond.

Yeah, I started out looking at princess and radiant cuts b/c they are more abundant. But there is something about the facets in the center of a round diamond that I find more appealing. I also considered the flanders and QOH; but the x-prong would cover the cut corner completely and make the sides look very straight and stiff. The lucere would look nice but they are too hard to find.

I'm not really sure how to describe it; but the corners on the regent are cut funny. This leaves a little gap visible around the prongs and gives the sides a slightly rounded (softer) look to it. That's why I like the regent. I hope she does.

T

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
i've been in contact with jonathan cos of my interest in buying a regent and he told me that I can wait and see for another stone or go with one that he already has. have u gotten in contact with him, if not, go email him through here or from GOG. he told me that they are packed for thanksgiving but will be back in on friday. from some of the prices he has quoted me, i gather that regents are priced about the same as rb h&a's.

dont 4get the h&a that u can get with regents and the regent may not get as dated as the princess! i am sure if ur intended knows how much interest and effort u have put into finding a diamond for her, she will be incredibly happy, excited, etc etc etc. u did say u r only a student still, so its really wonderful of u to want to get above 1 ct for her. regents rock, so dont worry too much about her not liking it!!

if u havent already, go search for threads by baloo, he purchased a 1.19 D/VS1 regent and set it in a x-prong.
5.gif

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
jan, currently gog seems to be the only online seller of Regents and he does give a very resonable price. just ask diane5006 and myself who have personally purchased regents from them.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes I think that GOG is the only etailer of Regents, don't even know who sells them offline (if anyone?)

tlee

Rough_Rock
I've been e-mailing and calling GOG for about 2wks now and those two stones are the closest ones that meet my parameters. So that gave me the impression that regents are just too hard to come by and that I should just take what's available before someone else snags it. It's a bit frustrating. I'm new to all this and I didn't think the whole process of finding a diamond would take this long. Although, I called Wink Jones today and w/in 5mins he was able to find a 1.06ct, G, SI2 that is supposed to be eye clean. It is just within my budget (only $500 more than the 1ct, H, SI2 with the huge feather @ GOG). I'm pretty excited. I'll let you know once he e-mails me pictures of it.

T

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
tlee, regents are new and rare, u cannot compare looking for them to looking for a rb. i understand ur frustration, i was in a dilemma myself over whether to purchase the stone or to wait. is the wink jones stone a regent too? if it is then congratz and post the pictures soon
loopy.gif

tlee

Rough_Rock
I just ordered a regent diamond from Wink this week and he says that the ring should be ready by x-mas. He sent me the 1.06ct, G, SI2 for inspection earlier this week. It looked amazing and was eye clean. I'm a biol. grad student so obviously the first thing I did was take the stone to lab and look at it under the microscope. There was a feather off to one side and a funny looking black inclusion in the center (just under the table). I was okay with the white feather but the black inclusion bothered me even though you couldn't see it with the naked eye. Well actually, after seeing it under the scope I convinced my self that it was visible as a black speck. I swore I could see it at certain angles.

I sent it back and Wink found two more regents for me to choose from. One was a 1.03ct, H, SI1 and the other was a 1.06ct, G, SI1. I felt that I would have been happy with the first stone (SI2) that I sent back; but my perfectionist nature took over instead. So, instead of scrutinizing another stone under the scope and second guessing myself, I decided to take the new 1.06ct, G, SI1 diamond based on Wink's evaluation over the phone and from a picture he e-mailed me (attached). This diamond is supposed to have a few white inclusions off to the side and nothing in the middle. Although, there is supposed to be an inclusion near the bottom that I'm curious to see for myself. In any case, it's an SI1 and is supposed to look cleaner than the SI2 I sent back. It's pricier; but the extra money is for my peace of mind.

Now I just have to wait. It's going to be set in a DVatche x-prong and I know they have a lot of orders b/c of the holidays. I think we're going to be in the san francisco visiting our family when it's ready so I'm going to have it sent there instead. She could show it off to the folks.

I'll post pics of it after the new year. Thanks for all your comments guys. It's good knowing that I'm not going through this alone.

T

106.jpg

tlee

Rough_Rock
Here is the 1.03ct next to the 1.06ct. The 1.03 has a slightly better clarity. I chose the 1.06 b/c it looks bigger and has a better color rating.

T

together.jpg

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on you purchase...I did not realize there was another retailer...thanks for the info...

Here is a pic of Baloos ring in the Vatche X-prong

Regents Rock !!!!!!

baloos regent xprong.jpg

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
its so great that u have found the stone for ur intended and u
appl.gif

remember to post pictures of the finished ring
5.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very nice!! The picture looks lovely. Can't wait to see set photos!
1.gif

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Very nice rock! I know you can't tell from a photo, but the 1.06 that you chose does seem larger and brighter. Can't wait to see more photos of the finished product. Will it be in platinum?
10.gif

tlee

Rough_Rock
Yes, the setting will be in platinum. I did a search for baloo's ring after tomato’s suggestion. It will look just like that one. I'm really envious of the D color of his diamond. I wish there were more pictures of engagement rings that have modified squares. There are a ton of threads with great pics of round diamonds and for a while there I was starting to consider a round instead. The only thing keeping me going was the lucida pic on the tiffany's website. But then I stumbled across this:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/pictures_of_settings.htm

There's something for everyone. Btw, Wink should be praised for those photos. He took them, not me.

One question, how accurate is an appraisal once the diamond has been set in the ring?

T

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

One question, how accurate is an appraisal once the diamond has been set in the ring?

Hey Tlee:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you referring to how accurate an appraisal is once the stone is set versus getting the appraisal done before the diamond is mounted...?

9.gif

It is a little harder to properly grade a mounted stone vs. a loose stone/ Richard Sherwood "The Guerilla Gemologist"

21.gif
points out a lot of the details of grading mounted stones and the methods employed vs. grading an unmounted stone...

Check this thread out: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/why-have-a-certed-diamond-appraised.10662/ (Just Click on the Thread).../idealbb/images/smilies/21.gif

Hope this helps.../idealbb/images/smilies/wink2.gif

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Tlee attached is a pic of the Regent form Good Old Gold...it was also posted here...

1.47 D VS1...posted by Bicky

Here is the thread

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/good-old-gold-testimonial-the-regent-experience.7821/

I had a chance to see the stone in person when I was shopping for mine...it was awesome...I was sooo tempted...

I haven't seen many pics of these set when I was shopping for mine...I couldn't find any...as far a pricescope goes there are only 3 pics that I know of...mine, bicky's and baloo's and hopefully soon yours and tomatoe's
10.gif

I posted baloo's earlier in this thread...

Can't wait to see pics of yours...you will love it

bickys regent 1.47DVS1 ering.jpg

tlee

Rough_Rock
diane,

Thanks for posting those pics. I noticed that you also started another thread on this topic. I bought a decent point and shoot digital camera 2yrs ago. It's not the best all around camera but I've been pretty successful in using the macro setting for small objects. I can't wait to start shooting!

T

tlee

Rough_Rock
It just arrived this morning. Thanks Wink Jones. Here is the first pic. I'll post more later. We're off to San Francisco now. Thanks guys.

T

Dec24_00224 (Large).JPG

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Wow great pics! Looks a real winner! Congrats!
appl.gif

Happy Holidays!
wavey.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very lovely!!!
1.gif
Congrats!

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
congratz tlee, lovely stone and ring. best of luck and merry xmas
1.gif

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
>>I'm not really sure how to describe it; but the corners on the regent
>>are cut funny. This leaves a little gap visible around the prongs and
>>gives the sides a slightly rounded (softer) look to it."

I was curious too, if that due to the not quite square corners on the Regent, that the setting is less secure than that of a square corner (e.g. Lucere) or round brilliant?

If the happy new owner could post more pictures of their Regent in the X-Prong, I would appreaciate it... it's what I'm looking for too! Thanks!

tlee

Rough_Rock
verticalhorizon,

Sorry for not replying sooner. I was in Costa Rica for the past couple of months doing research. I just posted two pics here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/regent-dvatche-x-prong-with-channel-set-wb.15591/

T

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results