shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with E-Ring purchase: Princess cut at local store

rocketman65

Rough_Rock
Before I posted this I have read through the tons of valuable information here and thought I was walking into the "prepared". The short story is my girlfriend and I spent a day seeing stones and settings in person and while I had a general idea of what was the ideal range/price for a 1.5 ct princess, we were presented with a 1.75ct princess for a "great" price $7,500.

Here's my concern: It was recently GIA graded but as you all know they don't grade cut quality on Princess cuts. Also, it was graded as a K color (hence the affordable price) but neither my girlfriend or I could honestly tell the difference between this K color and another stone's G color - it looks really clear and white to me. Is it just I don't know what I am looking for or is this what the sales associate claims is a rare "mis-rated" color.

So, I have a GIA report #1166568668. Also, is it acceptable practice to request to take photos of the stone at the store? I have a GoPro that can take a decent photo/video.

I know I can get reputable online stones with ACET and AGS, etc. but this stone we saw actually looks great to us - am I getting a fair deal for a K color stone?

I do wish I could post photos of the stone so you all could point out why it is only $7500

Thank you for your time. This is a huge purchase for me

Glenn

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pricing-wise, it seems in the range of similar-sized K-color GIA princess-cuts offered by online vendors BCS ($7205, 1.75ct K-VS1 - http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-4731588...m_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com) and in WhiteFlash's virtual inventory ($7439, 1.81ct K-VS1 - http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-3251865.htm#).

Have you examined the K princess-cut away from the jewelry store lighting? Please know a GIA K stone is vastly different in color-appearance than a GIA G stone - in the jewelry store, bring the K princess down below any countertops so it is away from the special lighting - it would be great if you could take the stone outside the store to see it in regular daylight (if your sales rep is accommodating). Even if you can see a tint in the K stone that you don't see in a G stone, it may well be you and your GF do not mind the tint or that even that you both prefer the warmth of a K stone - just be sure you've given yourselves an adequate opportunity to compare and contrast, before you commit to purchase.

A princess-cut is a fancy cut, so even with Asets and other images, it really comes down to what is pleasing to your eyes - still, for this kind of purchase, without any back-up data, it may be helpful to purchase the stone loose and (while in your return period) bring it to an independent appraiser who will give you an objective, professional opinion of the stone. https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers/map

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results