shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with CAD - esp Yssie, Sarahbear, Gypsy, Old cut lovers!

readerrabbit

Rough_Rock
So I working on designing my engagement ring, but I really need some help with editing the CADs and making sure it doesn't look crazy terrible. Here are the general principles:

1. I have a 1.29 OEC from JbG with 0.8 ctw sides

2. I would like something similar to Yssie's or Sarahbear's or all of the beautiful 3 stones, but without the evil bar across the stone's girdle....granted my stones are a lot smaller than theirs, so it will look different

3. I think I want 18k rose gold and that's what I've gone for, but this might have been crazy. My stones are GIA K....bad idea?

Here are my basic questions:

1. Is this a terrible idea and can it look pretty?
2. Are my proportions way off and I should start from scratch?
3. Hopefully my diamonds are ok, I picked them myself, but I think they are sparkly and pretty
4. In my inital CAD images, I think the dimamonds are too high. True? Or is this the nature of CAD?
5. It will be claw prongs when all's said and done
6. Too thick on the shank?
7. Why does it look off to my eye?

Ok, so sorry about the myriad of questions, just really lost and my bf doesn't know how to help. I've been lurking for about 5 years, so very excited to be working on my own piece....enough talking, here are my CAD images:

Thank you so much!!! :wavey: I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of you!!! :clap: :love:

img_1070_-_version_0.jpg

9048_bm-front.jpg

9321_bm-top.jpg

2139_bm-perspective-02.jpg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Help with CAD - esp Yssie, Sarahbear, Gypsy, Old cut lov

I am no expert when it comes to CADs, but I love old cuts (and have my own old cut project about to kick off). Your diamonds & design are beautiful & elegant! Can't wait to see this completed! :love:

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I am neither a CAD nor OEC expert, but thought I'd post my own 3 stone WF cad for comparison. Fwiw, the center is 1.6 & sides are .8.

I'll be interested to hear what others say....good luck with your decisions, you're off to a great start! :appl:

Edited to add: the shank is 2.5-7 I think, I'll try to dig up the job order.....

_23217.jpg

_23218.jpg

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Ok, found it: the shank is indeed 2.7', & I asked that the trellis not be 'bulky'. It is also a size 6.5. Very satisfied with the setting, & positioning of the stones.

Here are some real life photos of the finished ring for reference, I don't have very good photos of the setting itself.

Let me know if you'd like to see some more & I'll take some pics tomorrow.

_23220.jpg

_23223.jpg

readerrabbit

Rough_Rock

JoCoJenn|1413248198|3766700 said:
I am no expert when it comes to CADs, but I love old cuts (and have my own old cut project about to kick off). Your diamonds & design are beautiful & elegant! Can't wait to see this completed! :love:

Thank you!

readerrabbit

Rough_Rock

sarahb|1413250847|3766725 said:
Ok, found it: the shank is indeed 2.7', & I asked that the trellis not be 'bulky'. It is also a size 6.5. Very satisfied with the setting, & positioning of the stones.

Here are some real life photos of the finished ring for reference, I don't have very good photos of the setting itself.

Let me know if you'd like to see some more & I'll take some pics tomorrow.

Sarahb, Thank you so much for these pictures! It is so helpful seeing the CAD and then the finished product.

I really like how yours is flatter along the bottom, underneath the diamonds but on top of your finger. It looks so spectacular! I think I'll try to ask for more of that look.

Are you happy with 2.7 mm shank? I was thinking of going closer to 2mm, but yours really doesn't look huge....wonder if it is more comfortable one way or the other?

Does the piece that goes along the girdle of the diamond have a special name?

readerrabbit

Rough_Rock

Here's another not so great photo of my diamonds....

They are quite pretty in real life, i just can't photograph anything

img_20140825_173435_0.jpg

img_20140825_172700_795.jpg

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I think the piece you are referring too that goes along the girdle is what they call a 'basket'. For instance, I have an eternity with a basket setting, here is that cad as an example.

I tried on both a 2, 2.5 & a 3mm. Decided I did not want a 2 or a 3, & decided I wanted a 2.7. Don't ask me how I came to that conclusion. :errrr: I can't remember. For me, I felt the 2mm was just too thin, didn't want the bulk of the 3mm so settled in between.

I think 2mm is really thin for a 3 stone, the way the setting is made it needs some heft to the width, as the trellis bleeds off of the shank on both sides, plus the 3rd prong for the side stone. I have a 2mm spacer, & it's quite thin. Have you tried on various widths in real life? If not I'd strongly recommend you do so, as a 2 vs a 3mm look is quite different! See what suits you, how your hand & fingers look etc with the different widths.

_23224.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Stones are lovely. You can get three stones without that band. I've seen them somewhere. I'll have to see if I can remember where.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

readerrabbit

Rough_Rock

sarahb|1413256107|3766769 said:
I think the piece you are referring too that goes along the girdle is what they call a 'basket'. For instance, I have an eternity with a basket setting, here is that cad as an example.

I tried on both a 2, 2.5 & a 3mm. Decided I did not want a 2 or a 3, & decided I wanted a 2.7. Don't ask me how I came to that conclusion. :errrr: I can't remember. For me, I felt the 2mm was just too thin, didn't want the bulk of the 3mm so settled in between.

I think 2mm is really thin for a 3 stone, the way the setting is made it needs some heft to the width, as the trellis bleeds off of the shank on both sides, plus the 3rd prong for the side stone. I have a 2mm spacer, & it's quite thin. Have you tried on various widths in real life? If not I'd strongly recommend you do so, as a 2 vs a 3mm look is quite different! See what suits you, how your hand & fingers look etc with the different widths.

Thank you!

I have tried on several looks and widths in person. I'm having a hard time deciding what width is best. I have very short fingers, so everything appears thicker. I have photos of the thick Cartier trinity and the XS Cartier trinity on my hands.... :naughty:

Maybe I'll just have to do more shopping and try on more sizes :lol:

2014091395160044.jpg

2014091395160315.jpg

readerrabbit

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1413259846|3766787 said:

Thank you Gypsy! This is very in line with what I'm thinking....I wonder if they can do this kind of side view but with more trellis sweeping prongs, but essentially this profile of the stones.

The engineers I know seem to think the basket is necessary for support, but these rings show maybe not? :confused:

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Ooooooo i got a shout out for help plus I saw the words "old cut" and "CADs" in the same sentence so of course I must be noisy!

Well obviosly I love the idea of doing this style ring with old cuts. something about the super sleek modern setting just seems to balance out old cuts. For me however I'm on the cusp of doing K's with rose gold. It is really if you like it or not. Does your vendor have the matching RG for you to look at and sit next to the diamonds? If you like it then definitely do RG. I had my ring done with unplated WG which actually had a tinge of pink that I thought gave the illusion of RG at times. This might be an option for you??? Or at least something to think about.

As far as your CADs yes I would lower your diamonds and also (and this is personal preference so feel free to ignore) I would have them raise your side stones so the girdles are all uniform or at a very slight angle. On my ring the sides are slightly lowered and it feels off to me. As if the center is the star and the sides have less emphasis. I think if they were closer girdle to girdle that would have been my preference.

_23227.jpg

readerrabbit

Rough_Rock

SB621|1413295253|3766858 said:
Ooooooo i got a shout out for help plus I saw the words "old cut" and "CADs" in the same sentence so of course I must be noisy!

Well obviosly I love the idea of doing this style ring with old cuts. something about the super sleek modern setting just seems to balance out old cuts. For me however I'm on the cusp of doing K's with rose gold. It is really if you like it or not. Does your vendor have the matching RG for you to look at and sit next to the diamonds? If you like it then definitely do RG. I had my ring done with unplated WG which actually had a tinge of pink that I thought gave the illusion of RG at times. This might be an option for you??? Or at least something to think about.

As far as your CADs yes I would lower your diamonds and also (and this is personal preference so feel free to ignore) I would have them raise your side stones so the girdles are all uniform or at a very slight angle. On my ring the sides are slightly lowered and it feels off to me. As if the center is the star and the sides have less emphasis. I think if they were closer girdle to girdle that would have been my preference.

Thank you so much for chiming in....I really appreciate your opinions. Hadn't though unplated wg might be pinkish...something to definitely consider...I'll ask.

When you say the girdles are uniform or slight angle, do you mean making the curve over your finger, or more like a line across where then the side cathedral angles down? I really appreciate your help!

SB621

Ideal_Rock

readerrabbit|1413309665|3766979 said:
SB621|1413295253|3766858 said:

Thank you so much for chiming in....I really appreciate your opinions. Hadn't though unplated wg might be pinkish...something to definitely consider...I'll ask.

When you say the girdles are uniform or slight angle, do you mean making the curve over your finger, or more like a line across where then the side cathedral angles down? I really appreciate your help!

A line across. I'm not a fan at all when the sides are lowered. It bugs me to no end actually on my ring.

readerrabbit

Rough_Rock

So the second round of CAD images came in and it looked great, and I gave the go-ahead to produce. And it's ready, a week and a half early.

Here are the new pictures!!

trellis110514_2.jpg

trellis110514_3.jpg

trellis110514.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

omg it looks amazing!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

YAY! I can't wait for handshots!

SB621

Ideal_Rock

SO PRETTY!

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock

Love the tapering! It looks so pretty and elegant.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results