shape
carat
color
clarity

Help With Asscher Cut Diamond Selection

ErockBoulder

Rough_Rock
Hello All,

I would love anyone's input on the decision I plan to make very soon. I am torn between two stones right now.

Carat weight: 2.06
Cut: Excellent
Color: F
Clarity: VS1
Depth: 66.1%
Table: 58.0%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick
Culet: None
Measurements: 7.30*6.99*4.62
Ratio: 1.04

&

Carat Weight: 2.20 ct
Make (Cut): Super Ideal
Color: H
Clarity: IF
Depth %: 68.1 %
Table %: 63 %
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Thin - Medium
Measurements: 7.36 x 7.29 x 4.96 mm
Length To Width: 1.01 to 1

I'm under the impression that with an asscher of larger size, you definitely want them to have good clarity. I think either in this case will be acceptable as they should both be eye clean. Second comes color. From what I have gathered, H is the most color you would want to have. My girlfriend saw an asscher that was much larger and H color and loved it, but maybe she would love the F more? Hard to say without seeing it in person. The cut on the second stone has better symmetry and is larger in carat weight, but it is deeper so i'm assuming they would end up looking about the same size. Honestly, I would probably go with the F color but it is stretching my budget. So I would like to hear your thoughts on if you think there would be a noticeable difference between the two stones. I know it's hard to say without seeing them, but in regard to color, do you think it matters?

Thanks in advance!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is hard to decide w/o pictures ... will you be able to see either (or both) before deciding? I'd pick the one with the best, most pleasing, most interesting *cut pattern* ... w/o regard to the slight size/weight difference and color/clarity differences. Believe it or not, every asscher looks different. Like fingerprints. Some w/ amazing "stats" look dull & flat in person .... some w/wonky stats just have a crazy kind of intrique and killer patterning.

Please try to see your top pick stone in person before committing. It would be ideal to compare a couple of similar contenders. I know Good Old Gold makes side by side videos of their stones on request. Other vendors might agree to send it to an independent appraiser near you if you pay the shipping & handling (and perhaps a refundable deposit? the whole shebang but refundable? not sure - varies).

ETA: For reference, I have a GIA graded "H" vvs1 asscher that's 1.5 cts and approx 6.5 square. I adore the "H" color & it appraised as a "G"! We selected it by going to the NYC diamond district & looking at asschers & cushions in person. Mine just jumped out as "the one" right away .. w/stats taking the backseat.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
ErockBoulder|1338919854|3209751 said:
Thanks Decodelighted, there is a picture available for the F colored stone and from that, the stone looks amazing. Here it is:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1384917.asp
Does it look like the killer patterning you spoke of?
Looks good to me! You don't truly see the full range of the patterning until you see it in motion w/all sorts of different lighting scenarios. But I don't think you'd go too *wrong* with that one. Especially if you can return it if you get it and it doesn't meet your/her? expectations for some unpredictable reason.

ErockBoulder

Rough_Rock
Webdiva, thanks for the link. That was a helpful thread indeed.

One more question I forgot to ask, the setting I plan on getting will have side stones of G-H color. Would the H color stone be a better choice because of this?

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
ErockBoulder|1338928737|3209851 said:
Webdiva, thanks for the link. That was a helpful thread indeed.

One more question I forgot to ask, the setting I plan on getting will have side stones of G-H color. Would the H color stone be a better choice because of this?

It'll be fine - the diamonds are so tiny in most settings that you can't tell the difference. Do get an ASET and the gemologist to check your final 3 choices.

DiamondBrokersofFlorida

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Asscher cut diamonds are very tricky in selection. You are going to need to see a photo of the stones at the very least to make a decision. The faceting arrangement is key to selection.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Why don't you have the F on hold yet? :love: I'd get that pretty on hold and request an ASET image. I also agree that an H would be about as low as I would go with an asscher unless you can evaluate it in person. Ordinarily I wouldn't pay the premium for an F color either, but I really like this stone and think that it has potential so I'd be more likely to consider paying extra since a really good cut asscher is hard to find. It's hard to give an opinion on the second stone without any additional info, but I'd likely say the same about paying a premium for the IF. I think that your safe at H VS1 and above, sometimes VS2 but you'd have to evaluate it for yourself. I'd ask for asets for both of these stones though and then accept or reject them based on the images.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results