shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Trying to recreate the Molly Sims engagement ring...

JambaJuice

Rough_Rock
Hi PS,

My first post. Wanted to thank you all for teaching me so much with regards to cushions. You guys have an amazing online community. Between this forum and GOG videos, I have learned so much in the past 2 weeks. I fell in love with antique cushions, like so many of you, and had my process narrowed down to an AVC vs ERD antique cushions. Long story short, there's been a change in plan and I am now looking to recreate Molly Sims' engagement ring made by Lorraine Schwartz with a budget of 40k. I have attached a ton of photos. My question is:

1. The stone - What kind of stone does she have - from the photo it looks like a modern cushion, 5-6 ct, colorless or near colorless, in a slightly elongated shape? I was thinking that for my budget, I could get something similar in the 2.5-3 ct range. Most important, I am trying to avoid the slushy crushed ice look and find a stone with great optics. The slightly elongated shape is also important to me as if it becomes too square, I feel like I'll end up with an Amy Smart engagement ring look, which I do not like as much. Color and clarity are less important to me, but I was thinking H or better and any clarity as long as it's eye clean would be fine. Any recommendations on best place to look? I worked with GOG, ERD, and to a lesser extent LM, when I was looking for vintage cushions and I have just started to work with ERD and GOG in the search of a modern cushion, but haven't quite found what I am looking for. Are my expectations too high?

2. The setting- I have never seen a setting like it. It is almost as if there is no metal and the ring is made of diamonds glued together. And while the stone is obviously a knock-out, I think it's the setting that makes this ring so special. Do you think it would be possible to replicate? Who would you recommend going to for something like this? I was thinking LM or ERD but I was not sure.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing back!

dpjvpu.jpg
molly-sims-cushion2.png10hpzqf.jpg
20pexc1.jpg
1213-5-celebrity-engagement-rings-molly-sims_we.jpgr0nk35.jpg
molly-sims-cushion_0.png

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Re: Help! Trying to recreate the Molly Sims engagement ring.

Gorgeous inspiration ring! I think Victor Canera, Steven Kirsch, or Leon Mege would probably be the go to designers for that setting. And I would work with GOG to secure the stone. Can't wait to see your pictures when it's complete!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

I like the design especially the gallery that allows a band to sit flush.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock

Wow, I would love a ring like that!!! It's stunning! Even with a 3ct, it'd be stunning!!

JambaJuice

Rough_Rock

Thanks rosebloom! I will definitely let you guys see it when it's done.

lunemo

Shiny_Rock

What a beautiful ring. Good luck. I would also give Leon Mege's diamond concierge Perry Chen a call as well!

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock

What's your budget for the stone? I would imagine you'd need to set aside 5-10k for the custom setting (but you'd have to check with the vendor to be sure). I would also recommend the vendors Rosebloom mentioned, they all do amazing work. Will you be getting the stone from them or separately? here's what I've found:

http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/3.03-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-202611
http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/3.07-carat-g-color-si2-clarity-sku-180028

SB621

Ideal_Rock

I would contact Adam at Old World diamonds if you are interested in antique cushions. He doesn't show much online so I highly recommend calling or emailing him. Just be specific with what you want and he will show you some options. I purchased my 5ct antique cushion from him and I love it. It is being set in a very similar setting to yours, but my diamond is much lower in color. I perfer O/P/ M/ N with a warm tint for antique diamonds.

JambaJuice

Rough_Rock

04diamond - LM roughly estimated 6k based on the same pictures I attached to this thread. So my stone budget based on that estimate is ~34k. Where I get the stone from is not that important to me so long as its good. Thanks for the recommendations on stones. I will ask for the ASET on the 3.03 VS2.

Lovingwarmdiamonds - ah. triple (micro)pave. I was wondering what this style was called, thanks. Still, this ring seems a little unique to my untrained eye in that I don't see metal anywhere (I don't even see prongs!).

Sarahbear - I love antique cut cushions, and I am sure I would love real antique cushions as well. However, my gf prefers the splintery, white-light appearance over the chunky, pastel-light look - and this is, ultimately, a ring for her.

Lunemo - I am also working with Perry at the moment. However, I am considering just picking one vendor (probably GOG or ERD since that's who I worked with the most while i was looking for antique cushions these past two weeks) and just trusting them to find me the best stone. I'm not entirely sure how it works, but I get the sense they are all sourcing their stones from a common inventory and the having them compete with each other is creating more of a headache than anything else.

I just told ERD that I wasn't interested in the following 2.62 G VS1 cushion modified brilliant for 37k. I attached two photos and an ASET. To me, when I saw it in person, it seemed bright around the edges but dull and "crushed icy" under the table. From watching some of the GOG videos, I get the impression that modern cushions (even the non-branded type) can be very bright if cut right. However, I have never seen a modern cushion in person that appeared that bright to me outside of the few I saw at Tiffany and those were all square in proportions. I am not sure if I am expecting too much or if I should continue to be patient.

2_87.jpg
t2_0.jpg
t.jpg-stone on the right

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock

JambaJuice said:
Where I get the stone from is not that important to me so long as its good. Thanks for the recommendations on stones.

It only matters if the vendor you wish to work with for the setting will/won't accept a stone from a certain vendor. There has been some kerfuffle this past year with a few vendors (VC, GOG, and LM included, I believe) who have stopped working with the branded cuts of other vendors as they develop and promote their own branded cuts.

Someone please step in and correct me if I am wrong!

lelinsk

Rough_Rock

JambaJuice

Looks like your post was several months ago, but I am curious as to how the ring turned out. I just joined this forum on hopes that you are still on here :) I am trying to give my fiance some guidance and the Molly Sims ring is exactly what I want (only with my grandmother's oval). I am specifically curious about the setting, which is my favorite part from the sideview. What did the jeweler say that type of setting was called?

Thanks -- appreciate it!

kvglaser

Rough_Rock

Hello, I'm just curious to learn how the ring turned out and who ended up making it for you. I love this setting. I live in London and every jeweller I have spoken to here has said that the micropave diamonds would be at risk of falling out. I am considering having it made in NY as I havent found any jewellers with such glowing recommendations in London as Steven Kirsch and Leon Mege. Thanks :)

SB621

Ideal_Rock

lelinsk|1384208522|3554533 said:
JambaJuice

Looks like your post was several months ago, but I am curious as to how the ring turned out. I just joined this forum on hopes that you are still on here :) I am trying to give my fiance some guidance and the Molly Sims ring is exactly what I want (only with my grandmother's oval). I am specifically curious about the setting, which is my favorite part from the sideview. What did the jeweler say that type of setting was called?

Thanks -- appreciate it!

It is a version of a harry winston micropave halo. The MS version looks like it has 3 sided pave around the halo.

This should help you. Scroll down where it talks about different vendors that make this setting. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-101-my-experience-in-making-a-harry-winston-halo.183473/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-101-my-experience-in-making-a-harry-winston-halo.183473/[/URL]

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results