shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Thoughts on these Asscher cuts

RedShamrock7

Rough_Rock
This is a continuation of a previous thread (Help! Thoughts on this Cushion). Got some better intel and her preference is Asscher. I think it was a good idea to start a new thread to get feedback from Asscher lovers (good idea, apacherose).

I'm near the final stages (I hope) of purchasing a stone. I'd like thoughts on the five stones below. Many thanks for your input/feedback.

Criteria
Carat Weight: 1.5 – 2.0ct
Cut / Polish / Symmetry: Excellent/Ideal
Color: E – G
Clarity: VVS1 – VS1
Budget: $15k-$17k

Setting will be a platinum solitaire similar to the one below (to be paired with a 3/4 eternity band):
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagemen...-solitaire-engagement-ring-by-vatche-1605.htm

Option 1: 1.59ct / G / VVS2 / 6.43 x 6.30 (http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/1.59-carat-g-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-184584)
184584_1.jpg

Option 2: 1.71ct / G / VS1 / 6.51 x 6.51 (http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/1.71-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-247032)
247032_1.jpg

Option 3: 1.80ct / G / VVS2 / 6.67 x 6.46 (http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/1.80-carat-g-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-179132)
179132_1.jpg

Video for Options 4 & 5. Both options have Excellent Polish, Very Good Symmetry, and no Fluorescence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLL07M5ENp8&list=UUEV7slr-i-VduBBnfv9MxhA

Option 4: 1.60ct / G / VS1 / 6.56 x 6.67 (http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12868)
megascope_1.jpg

Option 5: 1.7ct / F / VS2 / 6.61 x 6.65 (http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12869)
megascope_1_0.jpg

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
I am not crazy about any of the asets. Too much green and not enough red. And the GOG stone I think has P3 issues. Hoping someone who knows more about asschers comes in with more insight.

RedShamrock7

Rough_Rock
Diamondbug - Yes, I'm not feeling great about the ASETs either, but I'm a novice. Appreciate the feedback and hope to get more.

DiamondSeeker2006 - Those were some really nice options in the video. Which did you end up going with? As a FYI, options 4 & 5 were sourced from GOG. I don't think they performed as well as a few stones in your video. Would you suggest going back to GOG to see if there are other options?

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
Oops all the scrolling down and I missed the last stone from GOG. I do like the look of the 1.7 F. What do you think of it? Photo looks bright and lots of red in the aset.

RedShamrock7

Rough_Rock
I like the 1.7ct stone better in natural lighting. I agree with Diamondbug that the 1.6ct stone may have a P3 issue, but I'm hoping someone who knows better can provide more insight. However, I do like the way the 1.6ct performed in spotlighting in the video. I think it outperformed the 1.7ct.

I wish I had two excellent options but my gut tells me they're two very good options. Jonathan from GOG was so enthusiastic about several of the diamonds in the video you posted but was pleased about the two I posted here.

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
Went to look at the video again. I agree that the 1.6 did perform better under spotlight and I do like the shape and smaller table better than the 1.7. Guess really the only thing I like better about the 1.7 is the photo and aset. But the pudding in the the live performance in this case since you have both stones performing against each other. Strangely enough, I did not see the p3 problem in the video.
I would ask Jon about the P3 issue. Maybe it is not a big thing in irl or maybe its gives it better contrast. If you like it but have concerns, I would bring it up to the big man himself and see what he says. It look to be a very nice stone, nice enough to warrant a call to Jon. ;))

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
I watched the video a couple times. The 1.6 is more 'steppy' to me though the 1.7 seems brighter overall... I think daylight viewing is more important than spotlighting, but, I agree the 1.6 was stronger in that spotlighting- but eh- it isn't like the 1.7 was shabby- still lovely.

Also, I like the shape and outline of the 1.6 slightly more.

Have you considered having him throw in the 1.2 F Octavia for a compare? You'd be giving up on size- significantly- but the performance is incredible- check out Dancingfire's Octavia - and you'd be at least at the 6mm mark.

If the ones you posted, I find the 1.6 most appealing because the contrast and steps are pretty, I like the shape and smaller table, and I agree it did have a lot of spotlight performance. I liked it in daylight, as well, and, to me the P3 (if I am using that correctly) was not a total 'dead zone' and played and danced at different angles- very appealing. So, there are my (newbie) thoughts, for what they are worth.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
None of them are terrible. But none of them excites me or is amazing unfortunately. Are you on a timeline or do you have some time. I think it might be worthwhile to wait until something truly heart grabbing comes up.

RedShamrock7

Rough_Rock
In a perfect world, I'd select a stone and have the ring ready by Dec 13th. I feel that timeframe is too tight now. I liked both GOG options but didn't love them. I'll get pricing and some feedback from Jon. We'll see about next steps. Thank you very much for all the feedback.

RedShamrock7

Rough_Rock
Apacherose - The Octavia does look very nice but the lady hasn't seen that type of Asscher cut so I wouldn't want to pull that surprise in case she doesn't like it. In addition, I'd like to at least get a 1.5ct for that type of money. Thanks for the bring up the option though.

IE_Princess - Thank you for posting that link. It's a beautiful stone. I must admit, I'm a bit leery of purchasing on a website such as Etsy. I haven't done much research on it but will look into it. GemFever does have 40 reviews at 5 stars so that's re-assuring.

Has anyone else had experience purchasing on websites such as Etsy? Based on my limited knowledge, the actual performance and look of the stone is most important (always with GIA or AGS certification), but I've used additional technology such ASETs/DiamXray/Megascope as support in the decision-making process.

The Etsy stone performs very well in pics and video. Personally, I'd like to see magnified images and an ASET to even consider buying (and that's after reviewing the GIA certificate and shipping/return policy). Is all that possible? Any comments or bookmarked websites to help me get informed would be great. I'll do more research on my own as well. Thanks!

IE_Princess

Shiny_Rock
GemFever is a Pricescope member who turned trade this year, so she has a good reputation. I purchased her personal Old European Cut diamond engagement ring in early 2013 and returned it to her when I decided it wasn't right for me. The return was painless; I'm sure that she is awesome as a vendor! After all, she was allowing returns even before she went trade; not many people do that on personal sales.

I thought of her asscher when I saw your post because I have been crushing hard on that stone but can't buy it :( even though I think she mentioned somewhere that she will be having a 20% off sale for Black Friday. I saw the word "asscher", saw your requirements for high color and high clarity, and thought it might be something you could look at. I don't know that she has an ASET for it though. You can look at the GIA certificate here: http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pagename=GST%2FDispatcher&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=2165111726

Good luck in your search!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Greetings, :wavey:

diamondseeker we did acquire the best 5 options available on paper. These are the ASET's (not to be confused with what he posted).

In the world of unbranded Asschers (and short of an Octavia) these happen to be excellent. If we were to call in and scan and shoot video of an additional 20 Asscher's their ASET's aren't going to be earthshatteringly different from the above. If anything worse.

Diamondbug|1416881214|3789966 said:
Went to look at the video again. I agree that the 1.6 did perform better under spotlight and I do like the shape and smaller table better than the 1.7. Guess really the only thing I like better about the 1.7 is the photo and aset. But the pudding in the the live performance in this case since you have both stones performing against each other. Strangely enough, I did not see the p3 problem in the video.
I would ask Jon about the P3 issue. Maybe it is not a big thing in irl or maybe its gives it better contrast. If you like it but have concerns, I would bring it up to the big man himself and see what he says. It look to be a very nice stone, nice enough to warrant a call to Jon. ;))

Regarding P3's on these Asscher's they are fine. Are they "perfect"? You will not find perfect precision and alignment in the world of unbranded Asscher's. We are happy when we find ones like you see in those ASET's and primarily in the video as they light up excellently.

Peace,
Rhino

1617asets.jpg

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Just saw the new video... excited for you! Please update with your choice and photos. I think asshers are such elegant and beautiful diamonds; I am very excited for you and your lady.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results