shape
carat
color
clarity

help- shank & halo size for 1 ct diamond halo e-ring!

fashionbabee

Shiny_Rock
Hello some of you ladies have helped me on my other threads about choosing my cushion diamond and who to have make my custom halo setting. So at present SK has my diamond and as soon as I can make up my mind on the proportions its a go!

Steven's initial thoughts were 1.6 or 1.7 on the shank width but I thought 1.8 minimum would be more durable and also the ultra thin band look is not seen in the UK (average shank width I would say is more 2 -2.2 or so).

Anyway I am torn between 1.3 mm stones in the halo or 1.6 and this is mainly where I would like any thoughts and opinions.

Below is a link (from a different vendor but gives an idea) showing 1.6 mm stones in halo (with an 1.8 mm wide shank) and a 1.2 ct centre stone.

I am tempted by this instead or perhaps the more usual 1.3 mm stones to give my 1 ct stone more 'presence' but thoughts welcome!

I appreciate some people my just say leave it to SK but I am just not that type of gal! Plus I am in UK so has to all be right first time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD2njDjnms0

Final aspect then its shortly ring on finger hopefully!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :appl: Thanks a lot!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
My first question would be what does Steven think? I think he has a great eye for proportions so unless you really feel strongly I would go with what he recommends.

For me I personally like the 1.3mm halo as it is more delicate but since cushions face up small the 1.6mm could give it an extra boost if you are looking for finger coverage. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

fashionbabee

Shiny_Rock
Hello, thank you both first of all for your reply.

SB621 - SK said he thinks either will look good!!!!!!! He said he would usually perhaps do 1.3 on the halo but its really up to me...I am torn between delicate and more finger coverage! Its hard!

bmgdesign - I have tried on rings that were more than 1.8 on the shank and still thought they looked dainty (the de beers aura states on online its 2.2 and I thought that was dainty on) so defo happy with not going super super thin on the shank. Having looked at the ring I posted as an example I actually note that the stones are actually 1.8mm in a 2.1 mm shank and I still think even that looks quite dainty!

I totally take on board what you say about wanting to avoid the cluster look! SK said with 1.6mm melee would mean around 16 in the halo and around 20 if it was 1.3...I suppose I could go for perhaps 1.5mm in the halo? Bridge the two?

I am so excited, cant believe I started this process in January this year and its taken this long!!!!!!!!!!! Geez who knew???! :)

ps. my stone is a modern cushion, I liked vintage but other half did not and as I love both equally was happy to go with modern. Its from GOG and is cut really really well so I am super pleased with that aspect!!

**** on a different note I also said that I wanted to match my melee to stone colour (which is an I) and no diamonds on donut! :)

fashionbabee

Shiny_Rock
hello, I was actually thinking more 1.5's now in both the band and the halo so the halo is the same size.

I LOVED simoneandson and wanted them to do my ring at one stage when I was considering ring makers not in NYC due to state tax (but I shipped the stone from GOG to David Atlas in Philly so no state tax in the end) which is why I have all the specs - but..............they do not ship outside the US!!!!!!!!! Not the first vendor to tell me that either :( David S Diamonds NYC also said the same thing!

I thought Simoneandson's work was outstanding, the videos of their work literally had me drooling! But hey SK doing it is not settling by any matter of means! And yes once I have the shank size and width SK is ready to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here in the UK the halos are much fatter! 2 pointers or more are common!!!!!!!!!! So I still think it will look really delicate but just a little more coverage with the 1.5's instead of the 1.3's which, as you say, seem to be more common for this size?

:razz:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fashionbabee|1373112007|3478001 said:
hello, I was actually thinking more 1.5's now in both the band and the halo so the halo is the same size.

I LOVED simoneandson and wanted them to do my ring at one stage when I was considering ring makers not in NYC due to state tax (but I shipped the stone from GOG to David Atlas in Philly so no state tax in the end) which is why I have all the specs - but..............they do not ship outside the US!!!!!!!!! Not the first vendor to tell me that either :( David S Diamonds NYC also said the same thing!

I thought Simoneandson's work was outstanding, the videos of their work literally had me drooling! But hey SK doing it is not settling by any matter of means! And yes once I have the shank size and width SK is ready to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here in the UK the halos are much fatter! 2 pointers or more are common!!!!!!!!!! So I still think it will look really delicate but just a little more coverage with the 1.5's instead of the 1.3's which, as you say, seem to be more common for this size?

:razz:

Hey fashionbee! I would think about making the halo a little smaller than the band. It will be elevated and your eye will see it as larger than the band (if you choose the same size)... If you go with slightly smaller, the halo and band will appear the same size. :))

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, you may want to reconsider 1.5 mm for the band -- that is very tiny and will be more prone to bending and damage. I would go at least 1.8+ mm for the band and 1.5+ mm for the halo.

fashionbabee

Shiny_Rock
hello, sorry when I said 1.5's I meant diameters of the stones, as I totally agree 1.5 to me would be far to thin!

I want a minimum of 1.8 mm on the shank - as you have suggested. I was even thinking about going to 1.9mm as I tried on the De Beers Aura and that was 2.2 mm and I think that shank still felt really delicate.

But good point about perhaps making the halo slightly smaller because it is elevated and will appear perhaps larger. I will take that on board I think because I do want the band and the halo to appear roughly similar but understand what you mean to get that perhaps to make the halo a touch smaller.

decisions decision!

If I had 1.6mm stones in the halo to give around 1.9 mm overall and then had 1.5 stones in the halo to give 1.8 mm of the halo overall what do we think about that?

I certainly don't want chunky but I do know that 20 stones at 1.3 mm each is too small for me, I like halos for my size stone with between 18-16 stones....

as an example this is one with a 1.28 cushion with 16 stones (so just a touch chunkier) and I love it
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finished-ring-pics-avc-micro-pave-halo-from-erd-comments.150920/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finished-ring-pics-avc-micro-pave-halo-from-erd-comments.150920/[/URL]

this is one that has 20 stones and is 1.21 cushion and its gorgeous but I think not chunky enough for me
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/im-engaged-and-i-love-my-ring-d.189810/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/im-engaged-and-i-love-my-ring-d.189810/[/URL]

But thoughts please? last stage I need to decide!

Thank you all!

:loopy:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fashionbabee|1373407480|3479894 said:
hello, sorry when I said 1.5's I meant diameters of the stones, as I totally agree 1.5 to me would be far to thin!

I want a minimum of 1.8 mm on the shank - as you have suggested. I was even thinking about going to 1.9mm as I tried on the De Beers Aura and that was 2.2 mm and I think that shank still felt really delicate.

But good point about perhaps making the halo slightly smaller because it is elevated and will appear perhaps larger. I will take that on board I think because I do want the band and the halo to appear roughly similar but understand what you mean to get that perhaps to make the halo a touch smaller.

decisions decision!

If I had 1.6mm stones in the halo to give around 1.9 mm overall and then had 1.5 stones in the halo to give 1.8 mm of the halo overall what do we think about that?

I certainly don't want chunky but I do know that 20 stones at 1.3 mm each is too small for me, I like halos for my size stone with between 18-16 stones....

as an example this is one with a 1.28 cushion with 16 stones (so just a touch chunkier) and I love it
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finished-ring-pics-avc-micro-pave-halo-from-erd-comments.150920/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finished-ring-pics-avc-micro-pave-halo-from-erd-comments.150920/[/URL]

this is one that has 20 stones and is 1.21 cushion and its gorgeous but I think not chunky enough for me
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/im-engaged-and-i-love-my-ring-d.189810/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/im-engaged-and-i-love-my-ring-d.189810/[/URL]

But thoughts please? last stage I need to decide!

Thank you all!

:loopy:

Do you mean 1.9mm shank and 1.8mm halo? I think 1.9-2.0mm shank is plenty thin. Not sure about halo, though.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
I'd actually post a dissenting opinion on halo stones. I actually prefer them to be the same size as the ones in the shank, perhaps just a TINY bit smaller. I have a halo with 2pters in the shank and 1pters in the halo and it bugs the piddle out of me. The fact the halo is higher does not fool me in to thinking they are the same at all....just sayin' as a halo owner.

fashionbabee

Shiny_Rock
Yes diamonseeker you are correct I did mean that :)

The halo's I have tried on here in the uk (the few there are!) have been same size of halo in band and shank, I tried on a halo ring that had 2 pointers in both the halo and shank and I thought that even still looked ok and obviously my ring will be much more delicate than that...

Bastetcat would you have gone for exactly the same size then in both or just much more similar? I do like the balance looked of the halo and shank being the same or near the same.

To help me out I sent SK the slightly chunkier example I posted above (the first link) and asked what he would suggest to help me achieve that sorta look, will let you know what he says but any pictures you have please please feel free to post! Never get sick of looking at halo's!!!!!! :appl:

Maevemarie

Rough_Rock
I prefer a smaller width halo. My round stone setting is posted here if it helps you envision. The stone is 8.5 mm width, halo is 1.3 mm width, split shanks are 1.5 mm, and single shank is 2.2 mm. I really wanted a very thin band- but preferred the way that the 2.2 mm shared prong looked (showed less metal). I was worried that 1.3 mm would be too small for the halo, but I think it helps accent and not overwhelm the stone.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-setting-is-here-round-halo-subtle-split-shank.190287/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-setting-is-here-round-halo-subtle-split-shank.190287/[/URL]

fashionbabee

Shiny_Rock
Hello Maevemarie I had a look at your ring and I think for your size of stone they are pefect. If my stone was 1.5 ct or above I would definitely go for max 1.3 mm stones in halo as above that size on my size 4 or so fingers I would not need (IMO) any more coverage!

Its hard though to find examples of stones my size (ie around 1 ct) and I also most think its easier for bigger stones as it seems to be more commonly agreed enhance the bigger stone don't detract and have quite a dainty halo....

But I appreciate the link and the post, many thanks! :twirl:

fashionbabee

Shiny_Rock
update:

SK suggested 16 stones for my size stone.

Dimensions are now going to be (again as advised by SK):

• 1.5mm in the band
    1.4 in the halo

EEK!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
fashionbabee|1374702472|3489466 said:
update:

SK suggested 16 stones for my size stone.

Dimensions are now going to be (again as advised by SK):

• 1.5mm in the band
    1.4 in the halo

EEK!

Good luck! I think that's a close but not too big size for the halo melee!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like a thicker shank.

As for the halo. It's a matter of taste. I think the smaller stones in the halo give you more differentiation and set of your center more. I think the larger stones blend a bit more and but you get more finger coverage. My personal taste is smaller halo. That's what I'd do.

fashionbabee

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone, work order is signed!

Going with the 1.5mm in the shank to give total of 1.8mm and 1.4mm in the halo to give total of 1.7mm
h/I colour melee in the setting!

Think SK is estimating around 3 weeks but we will see, expecting 5 as per work order and if its 3 then yippee! :appl:

fashionbabee

Shiny_Rock
To anyone who was following, or wondering the outcome, I have posted a SMTB thread! Thanks to all! I have it and am so happy! :appl:

fashionbabee

Shiny_Rock
To anyone who was following, or wondering the outcome, I have posted a SMTB thread! Thanks to all! I have it and am so happy! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results