shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Selecting Antique Style Cushion

fmf23

Rough_Rock
Hi, I am looking for some assistance selecting an antique style cushion for an engagement ring for my girlfriend. The ring is a complete surprise, the only real guidance I got was from her pintrest where she seemed to favor cushions but she posted a wide variety of cuts so I think she will love whatever I end up picking. I don't think she knows much/is concerned with about the details of diamonds but I do know she likes big and sparkly. Thankfully I came across this site and have read/learned a ton. I have decided I would like to go with an antique style cushion between 1-1.5 ct, J or better color, and SI1+. I would like to set the stone in the "Kathryn" setting offered by LAD. My budget for the stone is $9k.

Here are the two stones I am currently considering, they seem to be the best candidates I have found so far:

GOG AVC 1.2ct I SI1: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11109/

Canera Antique Cushion 1.38ct J VVS2: http://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/ha0thr

Even after reading these forums I am still nervous about making a selection. I have a few questions possibly noob questions 1) Is the inclusion on the AVC on the underside and something I won't be able to see with the eye? 2)The price of the VC seems less expensive compared to the others I am seeing, is this primarily due to the GIA instead of AGS? Any advice, guidance or input would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both stones are graded by AGS, I'd pick the larger cleaner stone Victor has personally, but I prefer to always go larger in this type of cut. Some people here might prefer the colour of the I.

CalmerPalmer

Rough_Rock
I think another consideration (and this probably partially explains the price difference between the two like for like) is that GOG has a customary upgrade policy whereas, correct me if I'm wrong, VC does not. I'm not sure if you can work something out with VC separately if you do intend to (or at least not rule out) upgrade in the future.

IE_Princess

Shiny_Rock
Of those two I prefer the AVC, personally. However, you mentioned that she loves big and sparkly, and cushions face up very small (as I personally know). I think you might get more bang for your buck (and thus a bigger stone) if you seek out a true antique cushion vs. a branded cut. Right now the two stones you've chosen face up about the same as an ideal cut round 1 carat stone. Cushions also tend to be a little sleepier than round cuts, so perhaps not quite as sparkly. In that case, maybe you can halo your stone and add size and sparkle :)

Jewels by Grace has an antique cushions in your price range:

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/1-ct-to-2-00/1-33ct-antique-cushion-cut-diamond-gia-i-vs2.html#.VGV6Soe7ti4

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Victor stone is the one I'd pick. Great performance. Much larger. And rectangular which is very flattering on the hand.

fmf23

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the quick responses. I actually really like the Jewels by Grace diamond because the face size was something I was concerned about on the others. I originally preferred the true antique cushion but hadn't found one in the size range I was looking for but this one appears to be perfect.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Another vote for the Canera antique cushion: it's simply more diamond for the money.

slydog895

Rough_Rock
I have a question regarding these two stones. Isnt the canera Gia certified therefore not an ags.0?? Wouldn't this mean it is not up to or with the avc? Also, would the J color cushion look good in a double halo? @gypsy I hope you have an answer as you have thought me a lot!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
slydog895|1416266648|3785409 said:
I have a question regarding these two stones. Isnt the canera Gia certified therefore not an ags.0?? Wouldn't this mean it is not up to or with the avc? Also, would the J color cushion look good in a double halo? @gypsy I hope you have an answer as you have thought me a lot!!

I didn't realise I thought all of Victor's custom cuts were certified by AGS, but on close inspection this one is certified by GIA. There is a long arguement you can google on here, but the gist of it is many people believe GIA if anything is stricter on things like colour than AGS.

The J should look fine in any sort of halo, but if in doubt ask Victor.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results