shape
carat
color
clarity

Help pelase with matching a diamond for a three stone ring

helent

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I have previously got advice here for two diamond purchases - I didn't listen as well as I should have to the advice I received on the first diamond and went on to buy it and have not been 100% happy since. A few years later when it was time to make my next purchase I listened very carefully to you all!

I am now wanting to turn my solitaire into a three stone ring. For the centre stone I will be using the 2 carat diamond - that I am happy with - and I am wanting to match the 1.27 carat I have that I am not so happy with.

These are the stats for my current 1.27 carat:

Report Type: GIA Diamond Grading Report
Round Brilliant
Measurements: 7.03 - 7.08x4.24 mm
Carat Weight: 1.27
Color Grade: E
Clarity Grade: VS2
Cut Grade: Excellent
Proportions:
Depth: 60.1 %
Table: 59 %
Crown Angle: 33.5°
Pavilion Angle: 41.0°
Girdle: Thin to Medium, Faceted
Culet: None
Finish:
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None

And this is the new stone I am looking at:

Report Type: GIA Diamond Grading Report
Round Brilliant
Measurements: 7.01 - 7.04x4.20 mm
Carat Weight: 1.25
Color Grade: E
Clarity Grade: SI1
Cut Grade: Excellent
Proportions:
Depth: 59.7 %
Table: 59 %
Crown Angle: 33.0°
Pavilion Angle: 41.0°
Girdle: Medium, Faceted
Culet: None
Finish:
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent

Can I please have some advice as to whether these stones are a good match?

Is the new stone one you would recommend?

I am also a bit worried that the side stones are going to be too big for the centre stone. I am looking at the Lucida style ring.

Thank you everyone!

Helent

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Help pelase with matching a diamond for a three stone ri

Is this the 2ct you will be using?
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/option-number-2.158033/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/option-number-2.158033/[/URL]

If so I think those two stones are great choices for sides! The 2ct in your old thread is a similar "flavour" of diamond, so if you like how it looks and performs you should be happy with these three in a row.

What about the 1.27 that you currently have do you not like?
What's the report date on the new one, and any comments in the comments section or under the proportions diagram? And fluor grade on the 1.25 and the 2ct - do they match, and do you care? Have you seen the 1.25 in-person - is it clean to your requirements?

Re. size - entirely personal preference! I like smaller sides but I've seen enough three-stones with significantly sized sidestones to know that they can be beautiful when done well ::) The good thing about using larger sidestones is that they'll play with light similarly so you'll get a uniform "type of performance" across the board. Smaller stones look and perform completely differently, even with similar proportions.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think that is too big for the sides depending on your finger size. What size do you wear?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just for reference, here are some three stone proportions. The proportions you are suggesting would be most like the one with the largest side stones. I think that can work well when using a smaller center stone, but I don't think it will work well with a 2 ct. center, personally. It would span wider than the top of my finger and I think the overhang would drive me nuts. I have a 2.3 ct diamond and I think a .5-.75 on each side would be the max that would fit my finger, and the .75's might be pushing it.

3_2520stone_2520ring_2520proportions_2520x1b.jpg

helent

Rough_Rock

Hi Yssie,

Yes that is the 2ct I will be using so I am relieved to hear you think the 1.25ct is a good match.

When I bought my 1.27ct I was in too much of a rush to buy a diamond and in hindsight wished I had looked at other options. I am happy with the colour but it doesn't sparkle as much as I hoped and is not as bright as the 2ct. When I bought the 2ct my diamond merchant showed me three other what he called similar stones and straight away I could pick out the brightest stone which was the one recommended here. The experience reinforced the importance of cut and that I will never buy a diamond with talking, and listening, to you all first!

The report date on the 1.25ct is August 26th, 2013 and the GIA number is 5156825885 - does that help? I will try and attach the report but the comments are:

Additional twinning wisps are not shown.
Surface graining are not shown.

The only comment under the proportions diagram is - Profile to actual proportions.

I haven't seen the stone yet but the diamond merchant I am using has said it is eye clean. After much research here I decided I didn't like fluor so all the stones have none.

Would you be able to suggest some suitable rings that you think are well done? If the post of the report has worked I will be posting photos of my current rings to give you an idea of what I like. Thanks Yssie.

_15090.jpg

helent

Rough_Rock

Hi Diamondseeker,

I am not sure of my ring size but I am attaching a photo of the 2ct on my left hand - does that help? We use different sizing in Australia but I can't find the size listed on the evaluations anyway.

When you say overhang do you mean part of the side stones would be between my fingers given the size of the stones?

I have also attached the ring I wear on my right hand which is the design I am thinking of - would that design stop the overhang? I am very open to other suggestions on what design would suit.

Thank you for posting the pictures of the proportions which does help in terms of how the sizes will look together. I am worried the three stones will be too big on my finger but also finding it hard to picture the size of the three stones on my hand. Could you please post a photo of your ring? Can you provide a link to anyone here who has a ring with similar proportions? Thank you!

2_ct.jpg

_15091.jpg

_15092.jpg

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock

I have two 3-stone rings and have attached pictures to give you an indication of size on a size 6 finger.

The first ring has a 2 ct center with .80 ctw each sides and is set in a trellis setting. With the tilt on the side stones, the total length across the finger is18.3 mm.

The 2nd ring has a 2.5 CT center but the sides are 1.17 and 1.23 ctw each so are close in size to the sides you are considering. If the ring was made with a 2 ct center and these side stones, the total width (taking into consideration the slant on the sides) would be about 21mm.

I hope this helps.

img_3725.jpg

img_20140218_083825.jpg

helent

Rough_Rock

Your rings are gorgeous Farleysmom!

What size are the diamonds on your wedding band?

I can see what diamondseeker is saying about the span being wider compared to having smaller stones on the sides but I don't want to have a diamond sitting in the draw and feeling unloved! I am getting a ring made for my right hand - it will have an oval tanzanite and half moon stones - so hence my desire to change my solitaire. To be honest I also prefer three stone rings.

Do you find your 2.5ct ring comfy? Are the side stones angled? It looks like they are lower?

Thanks for the photos!

helent

Rough_Rock

Yssie and Diamondseeker - you are not going to believe this but I was going through my wish list photos and came across "The Yssie" which is your three stone ring Yssie and Diamondseeker my tanzanite ring is based on your Beaudry Aquamarine! I am so pleased you both responded to my post! Thank you!

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Helent The stones in my band are. 50 points each. My new ring is actually very comfortable as I had the stones set high. The top of the ring is 9mm from the top of my finger and the sides are lower and angled from there. Hopefully you can see the angle in the attached photos. Although the ring looks somewhat wide from the top-down view, the sides do not touch my adjacent fingers but rather sit above them (if that makes sense). Depending on the size you of ring you wear, I think you'd be able to comfortably wear a 2ct center with 1.25ct sides.

I look forward to seeing what you decide.

img_20140219_083934.jpg

img_20140219_084026.jpg

img_20140219_084220.jpg

img_20140219_084046.jpg

helent

Rough_Rock

Thank you Farleysmom.

I was hoping to have a low setting as I tend to knock my rings. I was thinking of using a similar setting to my current three stone ring but given the size of the side stones should there be four prongs for each stone?

Can anyone else show me some other settings please with stones of a similar size?

I have ordered the 1.25ct - thank you for your help - but now can't decide on a setting!

helent

Rough_Rock

Yssie - can you please help with some setting suggestions?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results