shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP ON SHANK AND HALO SIZE FOR NEW CUSHION HALO RING

c1823

Rough_Rock
I'm a new member and have been reading and appreciating all postings as I plan a custom ring. It will be a forged platinum halo setting. Antique cushion stone just over 2.25 ct weight. I'm will be looking at Leon, Steven and Victor. I want something more durable so I'm not looking for a super thin shank/halo. My question is this...is 2.2 mm too big. Also, as I've read and have been told, the halo would be same or similar size. I want bling but is this too much or should I back off and stay at 2 mm. Also, I've read about Leon wanting to set a stone low. Can someone tell me why he choses to do this. I have a tendency to think that someone who does for a living knows best but should I consider something in particular as far as height.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I strongly recommend Victor and Steven. We have seen fewer problems coming from them. I think 2.2mm is fine for the shank, but I think it is too wide for the halo. All you need to do is find one of Victor and Steven's rings that you like, and ask them for a quote to fit your stone and in your finger size. They know the right size stones to use, and you can discuss the shank width with them.

c1823

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your reply. What size do you think the halo should be. I have been told that they should be the same size.

aad830

Rough_Rock
hi, i just saw your post. i had a similar size cushion cut stone as yours and spent forever deliberating the details, and can show you how mine turned out, if it helps. my center stone is a 2.27 cushion (7.57 x 7.30 x 4.29 mm), and I wanted a HW-esque halo setting. we ended up using 1.2 or 1.3 mm stones on the shank for a delicate look, but the halo stones were about 1.6 mm. to be honest, i'm not 100% in love with the way the halo looks and think it's too chunky, but i go between loving it and wanting a smaller halo. it depends on what your preference is, but i would think anything above 1.6 mm would completely drown out the ring. i've attached a photo of my ring for you to see.

actual_ring_0.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
AA's halo is tilted so you really shouldn't look at her width size for the halo.

Also I think when you try to micromanage a HW halo that is when problems occur. Find exactly what you want in regards to the model and then have your vendor (SK, VC or whoever) decide what proportions should be used for the halo width. In regards to the shank it probably will no be the same size. I think the majority of people on PS have their shanks to be between 1.8mm (for tiny fingers) to 2.2. I personally wouldn't go higher then that because you loose the delicate feel of the ring. But once again I would harp over the details. i would see what the vendor would suggest. They have done this ring hundreds of times before and understand the look you are going for.

FWIW I have this micropave ring by VC (actually i have had it done twice! :oops: ) and a non pave ring by SK. I think they are both masters to work with and I couldn't recommend them more! They will not disappoint you.
EDIT: and from what I understand Leon's personal preference is to just set diamonds low. I'm not a fan of the look personally. So if you do go with Leon I would make sure he understands you want this set similar to the HW which is not set low. MAKE SURE IT IS IN THE WORK ORDER!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results