color
clarity

Help on setting sapphire in WG Princess Diana Pointy Halo

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: Help on setting sapphire in WG Princess Diana Pointy Hal

Hi Dawn,
In our experience, it's going to cost quite a bit more than $1k for anything simlar.
There's .65ct of diamond weight, then the setting itself.
The only "off the shelf" settings in this style are for "calibrated" sizes.
There are casting companies that have such settings in standard stone sizes, such as 6 x 4, or 8 x 6mm.
Such settings will not have the claw prongs.
In general my advice is not to try and accomplish too much with a setting budget- maybe spend less now on a solitaire, then save up to get a custom built Princess Di looking ring ( I also love that style BTW)
Unfortunately, there's too many cases of sellers promising the world, taking the consumer's money, and not producing what the buyer had in mind
After all, with a special order most sellers won;t be giving a money back guarantee.

I hope this helps!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Very expensive setting. You pretty much aren't going to get it for 1000 I'm sorry.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

Rockdiamond|1413840234|3769993 said:
Hi Dawn,
In our experience, it's going to cost quite a bit more than $1k for anything simlar.
There's .65ct of diamond weight, then the setting itself.
The only "off the shelf" settings in this style are for "calibrated" sizes.
There are casting companies that have such settings in standard stone sizes, such as 6 x 4, or 8 x 6mm.
Such settings will not have the claw prongs.
In general my advice is not to try and accomplish too much with a setting budget- maybe spend less now on a solitaire, then save up to get a custom built Princess Di looking ring ( I also love that style BTW)
Unfortunately, there's too many cases of sellers promising the world, taking the consumer's money, and not producing what the buyer had in mind
After all, with a special order most sellers won;t be giving a money back guarantee.

I hope this helps!

thanks for your input. i think the stone i'm considering is slightly bigger than 8x6 so it might not fit very well in the standard settings.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

Gypsy|1413840666|3770002 said:
Very expensive setting. You pretty much aren't going to get it for 1000 I'm sorry.

realistically, how much should i expect to pay for a setting like this?
i hope it doesnt cost more than the platinum setting i'm getting for my pear diamond... :wall: :wall: :wall:

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

are you open to trying to find something pre owned on ebay ? Look for a listing for something not too expensive and that offers a good return policy. Obviously you are not going to get quality of that Diamonds by Lauren piece or an expensive custom piece ( love their stuff), but if you go into it expecting to get what you pay for you may be pleasantly surprised.

As an example, here are a few

: http://www.ebay.com/itm/14K-Yellow-Gold-Large-Oval-Sapphire-and-Diamond-Princess-Diana-Ring-Size-7-/351201949173?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item51c54475f5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLEARANCE-Vintage-Princess-Diana-Ceylon-Sapphire-Diamond-14K-Rose-Gold-Ring-/271525199197?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f3829bd5d

You can always get it rhodium plated and resized, you just need to make sure your stone will fit the setting and you can swap it out. If you post the MM size of your stone I am sure people can help you look- it just took me 2 minutes to find a few, but knowing the stone size etc will help.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

dawnxcui|1413841697|3770019 said:
Gypsy|1413840666|3770002 said:

realistically, how much should i expect to pay for a setting like this?
i hope it doesn't cost more than the platinum setting i'm getting for my pear diamond... :wall: :wall: :wall:

It will depend on the size and quality of the rounds as well as the size of the center.

You should be able to do something "nice" but not spectacular for around $1,500. To go on up to spectacular, just keep talking with your favorite vendor until you reach an agreement of just how spectacular you are wanting. The mounting that you have chosen as a model is indeed beautiful. Do not disappoint yourself by going too cheaply into the fray.

Wink

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium

There are so many halo designs but this is the only one that I like. Is its true name a "pointy halo"? I don't like halos with that outer edge bezel.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

dk168|1413853738|3770125 said:
Found a semi-mount for a 7 x 9mm oval stone (the seller is listed as a trusted vendor for CS):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oval-7-9MM-..._Engagement_Ring_Settings&hash=item2c8f0e5c08

DK :))

this looks amazing!!! just what i'm looking for!! thank you thank you! :love: :love:

i've never bought a pre-made setting before. how does it work on setting the stone? do i have to send it to a professional to do it or can someone local (toronto) do it properly?

how much does it normally cost to set and size a ring?

the sapphire i'm getting is 8.86 X 6.30 X 5.54 mm will it fit in this setting (9mm x 7mm)? or should i be looking at slightly smaller settings (8mm x 6mm)?

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

dawnxcui|1413854708|3770131 said:
Found a semi-mount for a 7 x 9mm oval stone (the seller is listed as a trusted vendor for CS):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oval-7-9MM-..._Engagement_Ring_Settings&hash=item2c8f0e5c08

this looks amazing!!! just what i'm looking for!! thank you thank you! :love: :love:

i've never bought a pre-made setting before. how does it work on setting the stone? do i have to send it to a professional to do it or can someone local (toronto) do it properly?

how much does it normally cost to set and size a ring?

the sapphire i'm getting is 8.86 X 6.30 X 5.54 mm will it fit in this setting (9mm x 7mm)? or should i be looking at slightly smaller settings (8mm x 6mm)?

actually...ebay just led me to an even cheaper setting....this is starting to become too good to be true.

is this a PS trusted vendor too? their reviews seems amazing online. the pictures they used in this listing is the same as the one DK posted, both coming from China.
And they said they're willing to resize the halo to fit any center stone...the only difference is the clarity of the stones say SI(clean) as oppose to VS. i've messaged them about upgrade diamond, hoping to hear back soon.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Oval-7-...05&prg=10819&rk=5&rkt=6&sd=191378643976&rt=nc

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Both of these listings look like the same stock photos. You will probably get a decent, china made setting. You just have to have proper expectations like with anything in life. You won't get the same look for 600 as you will for 2000, but as long as you are ok with that then these could be great finds! :appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Upgrade the diamonds on that. You will want to get the best quality stones they can get you. It will likely be a couple hundred, but worth it. Tell them you want better diamonds.

Please be aware that ring is not going to be "wear it everyday" quality. I have bought inexpensive colored stone settings from dealers like that. They are fine for occasional wear but they are not constructed for wear and tear.

But it's about the same quality you'd get a Macys.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

I haven't used either of those ebay vendors but if you go on the colored stone forum there is a pin at the top with trusted vendors and several are from ebay. Way back in the day many people used the Chinese ebay vendors for nice settings that they didn't want to spend a fortune on. I have loved all my settings that I have gotten from Lord of Gem Rings. I do agree though you should upgrade the diamonds...well worth it!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy|1413866310|3770211 said:

Upgrade the diamonds on that. You will want to get the best quality stones they can get you. It will likely be a couple hundred, but worth it. Tell them you want better diamonds.

Please be aware that ring is not going to be "wear it everyday" quality. I have bought inexpensive colored stone settings from dealers like that. They are fine for occasional wear but they are not constructed for wear and tear.

But it's about the same quality you'd get a Macys.

The diamonds on that setting are already VS and G/H clarity and colour, and I personally would be happy with that grade on a semi-mount for a not too expensive CS for occasional wear.

What diamond grade would one hope to get when asking for an upgrade please? :confused:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dawnxcui|1413856617|3770154 said:
actually...ebay just led me to an even cheaper setting....this is starting to become too good to be true.

is this a PS trusted vendor too? their reviews seems amazing online. the pictures they used in this listing is the same as the one DK posted, both coming from China.
And they said they're willing to resize the halo to fit any center stone...the only difference is the clarity of the stones say SI(clean) as oppose to VS. i've messaged them about upgrade diamond, hoping to hear back soon.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Oval-7-...05&prg=10819&rk=5&rkt=6&sd=191378643976&rt=nc

The vendor in the above link is currently not listed as one of the trusted vendor's for CS.

Good thing about the diamondmounts listing is that it allows one to make an offer. I like this kind of listing as I had bagged some bargains in the past by offering lower than the list price and got accepted.

I recently enquired about whether they have a semi-mount for an EC stone in white gold as I could only see YG and RG being listed, and they came back and said yes it is available in WG, and offered me an 18% discount from the list price. Had to decline as I am not ready to buy yet.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I listed two eBay setting links (LOGR and Jewelryhoo) in your other thread in CS. They aren't top notch but are good quality for the price you pay, otherwise expect to pay $2K and upwards for the quality shown in your first picture. If you ask, I think they can customize the setting to fit your stone for a small fee.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Confection,
Can you please elaborate? I've set both small and large stones (CS and diamonds) into the Chinese-made settings without any issues. As mentioned above, these rings are not meant for 24/7 wear and will not stand up to such wear but are great as occasional wear rings.

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock

When my goldsmith mounted the stone, he said be careful; it is very soft material. And during first day I wore it, one of six prongs warped against another prong. My job is sitting on the office or in the car, so it must have grabbed on my pocket or my bag.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Hi dawnxcui-
I have purchased a Ebay semi mount from the vendor you are looking at, Happyday2203, and am very pleased with it. I had a couple of questions for them and the communication was great(sometimes it is not with the semi mount vendors). The ring was shipped very fast and is really nice for the price. They even folowed up with me to make sure I was happy with the ring I received. I will order from them again.
I would contact them and ask them if your stone will fit in this setting before ordering it. The Ebay semi mount vendors can usually make the setting to fit your exact stone, like Chrono said, and I have found the prices I have been quoted for a custom setting size similar to the stock setting price.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

dollyanjuli|1413862425|3770180 said:
Both of these listings look like the same stock photos. You will probably get a decent, china made setting. You just have to have proper expectations like with anything in life. You won't get the same look for 600 as you will for 2000, but as long as you are ok with that then these could be great finds! :appl:

With the same piece of lint hanging from the stone at 12:30.

The casting quality is not excellent on this ring, but it appears better than on some of the other rings shown. On the $740 ring there is a side view of the ring that clearly shows the porosity and polishing grooves on the right hand side of the shank. You will be getting what you are paying for, and it will be attractive, but it will not wear as long as a properly made ring either.

As long as you are aware of the value difference as well as the price difference, then you are making an informed decision.

Wink

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

dk168|1413894094|3770304 said:
dawnxcui|1413856617|3770154 said:

The vendor in the above link is currently not listed as one of the trusted vendor's for CS.

Good thing about the diamondmounts listing is that it allows one to make an offer. I like this kind of listing as I had bagged some bargains in the past by offering lower than the list price and got accepted.

I recently enquired about whether they have a semi-mount for an EC stone in white gold as I could only see YG and RG being listed, and they came back and said yes it is available in WG, and offered me an 18% discount from the list price. Had to decline as I am not ready to buy yet.

Ebay vendor diamondmounts got back to me and said they're able to custom size the halo to fit my center gem and size it to the finger size i request.

They've also discounted the setting and offered it to me for $615 if i pay through paypal or $655 through ebay.

I think i'm going to wait a few days to see my David Klass setting, if i'm happy with the quality i'll get a quote from david and go from there.

Thanks for all the help everyone! :appl: :appl:

Violetphoenix

Shiny_Rock

Have you seen DK latest FB page. He just posted an antque style ruby with diamond halo setting? I think that halo style would go beautifully with your sapphire. Just got an eternity ring made by David. Sooooo happy with it. He finished my ring in the time frame as promised and executed the design exactly how I wanted. I would not use vendors from China. I had to send mine back and luckily it was an eBay purchase so they refunded me promptly. Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results