shape
carat
color
clarity

help on diamond studs color and clarity

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kmcq

Rough_Rock
I am such a newbie when it comes to diamonds so please forgive me if this sounds silly.
1.gif
I am planning to get my mom diamond studs for Christmas. Can you please tell me if a .80 ctw M color SI2 would be okay. I know it would be tinted, I just want to make sure that it still sparkles. Thanks so much!

ringabling

Brilliant_Rock
those few stats can't tell you if they will sparkle or not unfortunately.
Have you seen them?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I would have no problem with M SI2 studs if they were cut well, as I love the warmer colour diamonds, but it all hinges on the cut. If you have the dimensions of each stone you could post, that would be very helpful, if not you may have to buy with your eyes - or make sure the vendor has a good return policy. If you had an Idealscope you could get an idea of the cut for yourself, if you have time to order one.

https://www.pricescope.com/idealscope_indx.asp

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2007 11:24:48 AM
Author:kmcq
I am such a newbie when it comes to diamonds so please forgive me if this sounds silly.
1.gif
I am planning to get my mom diamond studs for Christmas. Can you please tell me if a .80 ctw M color SI2 would be okay. I know it would be tinted, I just want to make sure that it still sparkles. Thanks so much!
Hi Kmcq! How exciting for your mom!

With regards to your question, the M color and SI2 clarity are just characteristics of the diamond and do not, in an of themselves really translate into more/less sparkle. The sparkle comes from the quality of the cut.

Providing that you find really well cut M colored diamonds that are SI 2 and do not have any visible inclusions, in the table or top part of the diamond, for example, you should be pretty much assured a beautiful sparkle! The same applies in the reverse -- If you were to find really poorly cut D, internally flawless diamonds, they would not sparkle ... They would be colorless and have no inclusions, however, they would have no life or the brilliance and sparkle that we so love about diamonds.

Good luck with your search!
34.gif
If you need to learn more about cut quality, there is a lot of information in the "knowledge" - tutorials section on Pricescope. It is really informative.
35.gif

Casecracker

Rough_Rock
Do check out the tutorials and if you''re up for it play around a little bit with the whole mathematical side of things!

I would not advise going to Bloomingdales to purchase these btw.

(for example I was just there tonight and they wanted $8000 - which was 50% off of $16000 - for two .75 ct G colored I2 studs)

In other words - be smart about what you''re buying. Apparently some of these online places you can call and ask about scintillation or get a video of it from them.

I''m just really learning right now too so we can share the experience together....
37.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results