shape
carat
color
clarity

Help on a trade-in

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

solo

Rough_Rock
I need some help. I have had the same marquise cut diamond for fifteen years. The diamond has VS2 clarity and H-I color. When it was purchased it was appraised at $4,000. I am thinking of trading it in and the jeweler is offering $2,800 on a trade in for a 1.5 carat SI2 with J color or $4,000 on a 2.75 carat with SI1 clarity and J coloring. This is my first time on Pricescope and in reviewing the prices it doesn''t seem like this is that great of a deal. Can anyone help with the information I have provided? THANKS!!
19.gif

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Solo
35.gif

At the top of the page, there is a tool you can use to "price scope" your diamond. (it''s the search engine). I am not sure the size of your current marquise, but I was trying to get a good idea for the price today for one, so I searched .5-.75ct with the color and clarity you specified. The Prices rainged from $1100 to $2200.

What is the ct wt of your current ring?

Anyway, do you live in a major city?? You may want to shop around at the diamond district and see the best you can get. Here is a personal view point, and just my humble opinion. I don''t like it when they offer a different price based on what you trade in for. Just my 2 cents.

Anyway, we all love to look for diamonds here, so let us know what you are looking for!
31.gif

solo

Rough_Rock
I left out the most important information. Sorry, can you tell I am new at this? My current diamond is .71 carat. The 1.5 carat is $5,200 and the 2.75 carat is $11,000.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2.75 GIA or AGS? Even EGL-USA... price is low.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Me again. Up late tonight. I did a PS search again:
1.55 J SI 2 from USA certed diamonds: 3255

can you affird to keep the current stone and just buy a new one?? I would hate to see you get screwed..

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Trading in a diamond is much like trading in a car.

What matters is how much you have to pay plus your diamond. Then compare the prices of buying the stone without the trade in.

Then you''ll see how much you''re really getting for the diamond you previously purchased.

A lot of retailers that sell knowing they have to take a trade in jack up the selling price of the new purchase, and then use the trade in value "overallowance" to make someone think they are getting more than they acutally are.

Needless to say, probably a better method is to find out the quality of what you currently have by getting a GIA or AGS report on it and selling it yourself, or on consignment. Once it''s sold then make your best bargain against a stone without a trade in.

Example:

Selling Price of New Stone (Both examples for same stone)

Example A:

$ 5000.00 for new stone
1100.00 for old stone
________
$ 3900.00 difference.

Example B

$7000.00 for new stone
3100.00 for trade in
_________

$ 3900.00 Difference

You MIGHT find selling price of equivalent new stone is $ 4500.00, so the trade in price is really $500.00.

Use the Pricescope your diamond to check for prices of the new stone, plus the one you have.

Although the prices you quoted for a 2.75 carat stone, for an SI-J seem "suspiciously cheap".

Rockdoc

solo

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone for their help!!!!! I decided to wait and try and sell my diamond outright and then purchase another. Any suggestions on how I can go about selling mine?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results