shape
carat
color
clarity

Help on $9k round diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jorgep

Rough_Rock
Plus excuse me if I forget something in the posting. First time posting.

After reading posting and looking at a few rings, I am looking for an engagement ring for about $9k. Narrowed it down to:

Round Diamond
Ideal cut
G Color
VS1 Clarity
1.20 Carats
Negl or No florescense

Setting will be a platium, 6 prong (thus G color).

My question are
1. Can I get feedback on my choices of cut, color, clarity, etc above?
2. Should I change any of the above (increase/decrease)?
3. Anything else to consider?

I would like a stone with great brillance (since that''s what ladies see and like, right?) with no visable flaws.

Thanks in advance
JP

manhattan01

Rough_Rock
You'd probably find it easier to search for a diamond if you had a range to work with...for example, colour from f-h, clarity from VS1 to SI1 (these are just examples) and a range in carat weight...unless you're deadset on your 1.2, G, VS1 requirements. Also, some of the vendors out there have instruments that can help you gauge light return for brilliance. On that note, of the 3 light characteristics in diamonds (brilliance, scintillation and fire), I really like the way a fiery diamond sparkles over a brilliant diamond...but that's just preference.

-spencer

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 9/9/2003 4
6.gif
7:29 PM jorgep wrote:
Plus excuse me if I forget something in the posting. First time posting.

After reading posting and looking at a few rings, I am looking for an engagement ring for about $9k. Narrowed it down to:

Round Diamond
Ideal cut
G Color
VS1 Clarity
1.20 Carats
Negl or No florescense

Setting will be a platium, 6 prong (thus G color).

My question are
1. Can I get feedback on my choices of cut, color, clarity, etc above?
2. Should I change any of the above (increase/decrease)?
3. Anything else to consider?

I would like a stone with great brillance (since that's what ladies see and like, right?) with no visable flaws.

Thanks in advance
JP----------------
Hey JP,

First I would recommend that you try to get access to a vendor which might have available sarin data on the stone you are purchasing. There are a certain number of "cherry" crown and pavillion angles which will make a difference in how your stone might perform along with how tight a stone might be cut.
Most sarin data posted is an average of the angles measured on a stone, sourcing a stone with a vendor that has access to a Megascope can give you more data in the variances between all the angles measured. I am not trying to make this complicated for you but the more information you have available on the data of your stone especially when referring to the "cut" the more info you will get from professional vendors on this board.
If you can post all pertinent info on the average angles of your stone you will also get feedback. Important things to consider posting are Total Depth, Table Size, Crown angle, pavillion angle, pavillion depth, crown height, & girdle thickness.....

-Josh

babblingal

Shiny_Rock
To which standard is this stone an Ideal cut? GIA, EGL,AGS, the jeweler's opinion? It would help to know who is using the term "ideal cut". In my experience that term can be thrown around and mean different things to different jewelers and consumers. Not that I am saying your stone is not ideal, just that there are different definitions of ideal and in order to compare things, must be able to do apples to apples.
4.gif

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
I think we need more info on the stone (i.e. crown and pavillion angles, depth percentages etc....)

Cut is the MOST important parameters that determines a diamond's visual performance (light return, brilliance, fire, scinitillation) and the full specs are needed before one can even begin to guess at the quality of a cut.

I think an "eye "clean SI1 and above will suffice since you are aiming for stone that appears flawless to the naked eye. IMO, VVS stones are overkill unless you or your fiance will lend some symbollic value to the clarity of the stone. Clarity has the least overall impact on a stone's visual performance. As for color, F and G are great color grades in terms of value as they appear colorless (unless you are a gemologist with handy dandy color grading stones in your pocket). Even H and I stones often look colorles when mounted and viewed face up. Good luck!
read.gif
Also........ for $9,000, you can probably get a bigger stone by going with SI1 (make sure "eye clean") or VS2 instead of VS1

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results