shape
carat
color
clarity

Help needed with diamond pics!

snnk

Rough_Rock
Hi, I've attached two pictures and would like any feedback about the quality of this diamond (brilliance/fire/cloudiness/color/symmetry/etc). I've used the HCA tool with the measurements from the the GIA report and get excellent results for everything except spread (good). I've been told by the seller the diamond is eye clean. Any thoughts please?? I'm a little worried because the GIA cert dates back to Oct 2014 and I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the stone...
Many thanks in advance!

file_viewer.png

file_viewer2.png

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No red flags when I look at the images. Obviously I'd check on the clarity as you can see many inclusions in the images but it looks like you already confirmed it is eye clean. IS looks pretty good to me. Not the best I've seen but certainly a good diamond that should be lovely.

snnk

Rough_Rock
Thanks pfunk!
I'm a little worried about the inclusions and I have seen stones that I've been told are eye clean, however, I can see inclusions!
It's a hard one but SI1's are more within my budget. THis diamond has black inclusions... Will these be seen to the eye in your experience?
Does any one have any advice regarding inclusions and which are 'better' and which are 'worse'.....
I've also been shown some heavily included SI1's that have white cloud inclusions only and have been told they are eye clean. I'm worried that all the inclusions will affect the brilliance of the diamond though?? Does light transfer occur irrespective of inclusions?

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
snnk|1427423337|3853042 said:
Thanks pfunk!
I'm a little worried about the inclusions and I have seen stones that I've been told are eye clean, however, I can see inclusions!
It's a hard one but SI1's are more within my budget. THis diamond has black inclusions... Will these be seen to the eye in your experience?
Does any one have any advice regarding inclusions and which are 'better' and which are 'worse'.....
I've also been shown some heavily included SI1's that have white cloud inclusions only and have been told they are eye clean. I'm worried that all the inclusions will affect the brilliance of the diamond though?? Does light transfer occur irrespective of inclusions?

Nothing wrong with sticking to SI1's. A lot of them are going to be eye clean. You'll start to see more that are not eye clean as you get into bigger stones. What size is this diamond? Also, what type of inclusion is the one on the arrow at 12 oclock under the table.

The black inclusions in this stone look to be pretty small, and I think there is a good chance that you won't see them, especially in the face up position. Obviously you would prefer white transparent inclusions over black carbon, but a lot of stones are going to have dark inclusions that are not visible. I think twinning wisps and small clouds or feathers are usually pretty tough to see, especially under the crown facets.

Inclusions can affect light transmission but I would not expect it to be very common at an SI1 clarity level. I would look closely at any large clouds that occupy a large area, say 1/4 to 1/3 the size of the plot. Also, if you see the remark "clarity grade based on clouds not shown" on the report, you'll want to look close for defects in light behavior.

snnk

Rough_Rock
It's a 1.65 and the inclusion in that position is a feather.
I asked another site (eternity by yoni) about it and got this comment from their vendor: Vendors comments:
Medium black, medium center, not milky
BLACK:TABLE - Medium : SIDE - Heavy ; WHITE:TABLE - Medium : SID...

They don't recommend buying it...

inclusionking

Rough_Rock
Trade
The idealscope shows some light leakage on the table. Look at the grayish red on the lower halves through the table from your 1 o'clock all the way to your 8 o'clock. The other side not as much.

It seems like you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. Your budget allows for SIs but your preference seem to be vs2s or better. You have to decide which one you'll give priority to Clarity or my favorite "C", Cost. Si1 are si1s, no matter how eye clean. If you're not ok with that then put that as your priority and go with a vs2. Whatever that will give you peace of mind, go with that.

snnk

Rough_Rock
Thanks pfunk and inclusionking!

You're right I would much prefer a vs2 however I was shown sI2's at the jewellers and told they were eye clean... So I went one better and thought sI1's will definitely be eye clean... It seems you can't assume that though.
I've found this one that's an vs2 and only slightly off budget. Putting in %'s and angles in the hca tool gives excellent yet the idealscope doesn't look that great to me...

stone1_4.jpg

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What are the numbers on this stone? I agree, idealscope isnt the greatest.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
snnk|1427850285|3855315 said:

You're right I would much prefer a vs2 however I was shown sI2's at the jewellers and told they were eye clean... So I went one better and thought sI1's will definitely be eye clean... It seems you can't assume that though.
I've found this one that's an vs2 and only slightly off budget. Putting in %'s and angles in the hca tool gives excellent yet the idealscope doesn't look that great to me...

snnk,

As a trade member I am not allowed to comment on the specific diamonds you have posted, but I can tell you that any HCA score <2 is recommending 'further investigation' - which you have done by getting the Ideal-Scope images.

As for whether a diamond will be eye-clean. Make sure you have firmly in mind what 'eye-clean' means - there are simple definitions and many are similar. At B2C, we define an eye-clean diamond as no inclusions seen in the face-up orientation at a distance of 25cm, under normal lighting, when viewed by a gemologist with 20/20 vision.

A GIA graded diamond of SI1 or lower needs to be confirmed as eye-clean. A VS2 and above will, in the vast (vast!!) majority of cases, be eye-clean.

snnk

Rough_Rock
pfunk|1427850846|3855317 said:

59.1% depth
59% table
32.5% crown angle
41% pavilion angle

snnk

Rough_Rock
snnk|1427853466|3855339 said:
pfunk|1427850846|3855317 said:

59.1% depth
59% table
32.5% crown angle
41% pavilion angle

Are any other numbers important?
13% crown height
43.5% pav depth
lower half 80%

snnk

Rough_Rock
Diamond_Hawk|1427851581|3855329 said:
snnk|1427850285|3855315 said:

snnk,

As a trade member I am not allowed to comment on the specific diamonds you have posted, but I can tell you that any HCA score <2 is recommending 'further investigation' - which you have done by getting the Ideal-Scope images.

As for whether a diamond will be eye-clean. Make sure you have firmly in mind what 'eye-clean' means - there are simple definitions and many are similar. At B2C, we define an eye-clean diamond as no inclusions seen in the face-up orientation at a distance of 25cm, under normal lighting, when viewed by a gemologist with 20/20 vision.

A GIA graded diamond of SI1 or lower needs to be confirmed as eye-clean. A VS2 and above will, in the vast (vast!!) majority of cases, be eye-clean.

Thanks Diamond_hawk. In your experience, are stones with small black carbon inclusions that are reflected, eye clean as defined at b2c? I've noticed the jewellers I've been to don't have stones with black inclusions...

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
snnk|1427854336|3855343 said:
In your experience, are stones with small black carbon inclusions that are reflected, eye clean as defined at b2c? I've noticed the jewellers I've been to don't have stones with black inclusions...

snnk,

I have questions about your question :)

"Black inclusions..." Is this black in a photo? Black in darkfield? Black under a loupe? Black under human-eye observation?
"Reflected..." Is this reflected in a photo? Reflected in a scope? Reflected in a loupe? Reflected under human-eye observation?

Black in darkfield photos does not always translate to black in actual viewing (sometimes called pique in the trade). So it's a diamond by diamond judgment. Can you be more specific?

snnk

Rough_Rock
Diamond_Hawk|1427855868|3855355 said:
snnk|1427854336|3855343 said:
In your experience, are stones with small black carbon inclusions that are reflected, eye clean as defined at b2c? I've noticed the jewellers I've been to don't have stones with black inclusions...

snnk,

I have questions about your question :)

"Black inclusions..." Is this black in a photo? Black in darkfield? Black under a loupe? Black under human-eye observation?
"Reflected..." Is this reflected in a photo? Reflected in a scope? Reflected in a loupe? Reflected under human-eye observation?

Black in darkfield photos does not always translate to black in actual viewing (sometimes called pique in the trade). So it's a diamond by diamond judgment. Can you be more specific?

I have a photo and a 360 video of the diamond. I can see a black inclusion around the base or 'point' the stone and one under the table, in the 360 video you can see it being reflected in the crown facets...
stone2_1.jpg

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
snnk,

I think you have moved to a different thread with a similar query, but regarding the inclusion you have asked about.

Yes, it is called a reflector. Whether it reflects depends on the lighting and orientation. Whether it’s visible depends on the size and the viewer’s eyesight. Either way it’s only plotted once on the report. This is where a good gemologist onsite can answer your questions better than anyone here.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results